Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hope This is right spot - First time flyer soon..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hope This is right spot - First time flyer soon..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Magomi
Ah, ok - Is the 100ml size limit the same for empty bottles?
No, there is no size limit at all on empty bottles.

The Brita that I use is 20oz, which is somewhere in the neighborhood of .6 liters. They cost about $8 at Walmart, Target, and many grocery stores, and replacement filters come in a 2-pack for about $8.

I like to use a bottle carrier with a belt loop, which I usually clip to my carry-on bag when I'm going through an airport. Once I get aboard the plane, the bottle stays with me in my seat, along with a small fanny-pack size bag full of stuff I'll need during the flight, like my Kindle, phone, P&S camera, headphones, Kleenex, any meds I might need, and a few hand wipes.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Silver, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Back on topic to the worries of the original poster:

Quite honestly, the flight itself is the easiest part. The air may be a little dry while in the air and your ears may pop on ascent and descent, but otherwise it is nothing different than sitting on a seat in a bus.

For a first-timer the airport can be daunting, but there are many signs and don't hesitate to ask some airport associates for assistance should you need it. Make sure that you give yourself enough time to get through security lines.

There is nothing to worry about when flying...imagine that in a few hours time, you will be in a completely different city and the sights from the air along the way can be amazing.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:56 pm

This is a great thread!!

I have not flown internationally in many many many years. Since the '80's. Before 9/11 and Pre-TSA. My group of four is going to Dublin in October, from John Wayne (SNA) through Chicago. Provided we get a name change issue dealt with (one group member dropped out, another stepped in to complete the foursome. Not THAT kind of foursome, lol.

Anyhow, thanks for all these tips, any others I should know?

Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcrandall
Back on topic to the worries of the original poster:

Quite honestly, the flight itself is the easiest part. The air may be a little dry while in the air and your ears may pop on ascent and descent, but otherwise it is nothing different than sitting on a seat in a bus.

For a first-timer the airport can be daunting, but there are many signs and don't hesitate to ask some airport associates for assistance should you need it. Make sure that you give yourself enough time to get through security lines.

There is nothing to worry about when flying...imagine that in a few hours time, you will be in a completely different city and the sights from the air along the way can be amazing.
Yeah, I'm scared but excited hehe, I think I'm more scared about the connection in denver than I am the actual flight at this point though.

Very nice community though
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:21 am

Connecting on United at DEN is fairly simple, at least compared to most airports. All the gates are in one straight, albeit long, concourse that is easy to navigate. But both of your flights being mainline means they'll be somewhere between B16 and B46, which are confined to one end of the concourse. If you download the UA app you can check your gate assignment when you land, otherwise there are several screens throughout the concourse that will show you as well. Signs will point you in the right direction to your connecting flight's gate, but there are also tons of staff to ask if you need additional help. Overall I'm sure the experience will be a lot easier than you probably imagine.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
Connecting on United at DEN is fairly simple, at least compared to most airports. All the gates are in one straight, albeit long, concourse that is easy to navigate. But both of your flights being mainline means they'll be somewhere between B16 and B46, which are confined to one end of the concourse. If you download the UA app you can check your gate assignment when you land, otherwise there are several screens throughout the concourse that will show you as well. Signs will point you in the right direction to your connecting flight's gate, but there are also tons of staff to ask if you need additional help. Overall I'm sure the experience will be a lot easier than you probably imagine.

Yeah, first time to an airport since m 4th grade fieldtrip Let alone one out of the state...so it just sounds so complex lol. I think it was mostly the short layover time that had me worried, felt like 45 min-50 min wouldn't have been enough time to get my bearings so to speak.

Thanks for tip on the app though!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for bump but as my flight is coming up soon I do have ..what I think is called a 'life hack'? Question .

Is it possible to only pack for a 1-2 week trip with only a carry on? I've heard it before and heard trying to "pack as light as possible", but I could never truly find info about it. Thanks again guys!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Sorry for bump but as my flight is coming up soon I do have ..what I think is called a 'life hack'? Question .

Is it possible to only pack for a 1-2 week trip with only a carry on? I've heard it before and heard trying to "pack as light as possible", but I could never truly find info about it. Thanks again guys!
It's possible, but it requires some pre-planning.

It's nearly impossible to fit two weeks of clothing into a carry-on, so you'll need to be prepared to do some laundry during your stay.

Liquid rules limit the amount of shampoo, cosmetics, sunscreen, or other non-medical liquids that you can put in your carry-on, so you'll need to either buy more supplies at your destination, or find non-liquid substitutes for those items. NOTE: Contact lens solution and liquid medications are exempt from the 3.4oz/100ml limits.

Sharp items are prohibited in the cabin, so you won't be able to take certain types of tools. If you have need of such tools at your destination, you'll have to borrow, rent, or buy them when you arrive. or ship them ahead via other means.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillCAD
It's possible, but it requires some pre-planning.

It's nearly impossible to fit two weeks of clothing into a carry-on, so you'll need to be prepared to do some laundry during your stay.

Liquid rules limit the amount of shampoo, cosmetics, sunscreen, or other non-medical liquids that you can put in your carry-on, so you'll need to either buy more supplies at your destination, or find non-liquid substitutes for those items. NOTE: Contact lens solution and liquid medications are exempt from the 3.4oz/100ml limits.

Sharp items are prohibited in the cabin, so you won't be able to take certain types of tools. If you have need of such tools at your destination, you'll have to borrow, rent, or buy them when you arrive. or ship them ahead via other means.

Mm, yeah I already planned that I would need to do laundry and such while there so that's ok Aside razors (I use an electric one), I don't really need anything that I can't buy while there, perfume and lotion is likely the only thing I may have issues with.

Thankfully the people I'm staying with will gladly let me use their shampoos and such so that at least helps a bit.

Last edited by Magomi; Aug 31, 2014 at 4:17 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage; Carlson Goldpoints.
When I first started flying, I had a terrible time with pressure in my ears!! One time, even had an ear drum burst (confirmed by a doctor after the flight) and my ear was bleeding a bit on the plane. I am NOT telling you this to scare you, but instead to give you yet one more tip for the ears:

Before you fly, go to your local pharmacy and purchase a pair of "Ear Planes". (That's a brand name, and there are several others, doesn't make much of a difference which brand you get.) Cost somewhere between $5.00 and $8.00.

This is a set of two small tubes that you insert into your ears before you fly. There purpose is to keep the ear canal open thus enabling you to equalize the pressure between the inner and outer ear during ascent, flight and descent.

There puppies are a MIRACLE! Since I discovered them, I have never had a subsequent problem with my ears. (I joke now that I won't drive past an airport without 'em.)

The box they come in will tell you that they're good for two flights and then to replace them. Nonsense! After each trip, I just gently rinse them out in warm/hot water, let 'em dry completely, and they're good as new. I've been using the same set for a number of years now.

The one caveat: they have to be in your ears before the flight gains altitude. Useless if you wait till you're at cruising height to try to put them in. I just usually insert them into my ears once the door is closed, the plane has started to push-back and in taxi to the runway. Once that's done, no sweat.

All of this is not to suggest ignoring the other suggestions here.....I usually also take an over-the-counter decongestant as I board the flight, but it's an extra step that will insure that you enjoy the flights!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:11 pm

Got married in Israel in 1982. Honeymoon in Tel Aviv. Stayed at the Dan Hotel. Still have beautiful memories 32 years later...and still going strong.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It depends on what you need to bring. I wouldn't advise it for a first-time traveler, though. Get a better idea of what you need before you try to pare it to the absolute minimum.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Grand Rapids is a smaller and pretty easy airport to navigate at the end- pretty much two terminals, and straightforward to get to baggage claim and ground transportation at the end. Don't know what time you're getting in, but the number of employees around tends to really drop off around 8 or 9 pm, but there should be someone available for questions somewhere (gate or desk) until all their flights are presumed to have picked up baggage and moved on.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Is your checked luggage automatically transferred to the new plane?
Magomi, I didn't see if this was specifically addressed for you: Yes, your checked luggage will be automatically transferred to the new plane. Even if you have one or two stops, checked luggage is always checked to the final destination.

Given the 1-2 week duration of your trip, you will probably want to pack a checked bag. United charges $25 for a checked bag.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by eldiablojoe
This is a great thread!!

I have not flown internationally in many many many years. Since the '80's. Before 9/11 and Pre-TSA. My group of four is going to Dublin in October, from John Wayne (SNA) through Chicago. Provided we get a name change issue dealt with (one group member dropped out, another stepped in to complete the foursome. Not THAT kind of foursome, lol.

Anyhow, thanks for all these tips, any others I should know?

Thanks!
two things:

1. If you haven't flown out of John Wayne before you may want to be aware of the take off. Because of the shorter runway and noise abatement procedures around the airport there's a steeper than normal initial climb, then they'll pull the power back and level off for a few miles until you're over the Pacific, then they'll resume a normal climb. It's absolutely safe, but it can be a bit unnerving if you're a bit skittish as it's a different climb profile than from most airports.

2. On your way back to the US, if you're coming back from DUB you'll clear US customs at the Dublin airport before you depart. So get to the airport a little early so you have time to do that. The plus side is you land in the US just as any domestic flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.