How many credit cards do you have?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many credit cards do you have?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
It really depends on a country one is living. In Singapore (and in Korea), for example, average person has 12 credit/debit cards, compare this to 4 in States.

FT is not a representative slice of average US (or any other country) households, so having poll here would give a picture of FTers, but not country/region/state/etc.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I have 24 open CCs (2 down last few weeks)
I carry with me:
Amex Blue Cash
JCB Marukai Premium
Priceline 2x
Citi Prestige
Citi Forward
Chase Ink x2
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase Freedom (not all the time)
Amex SPG
Club Carlson

I carry 2 debit cards:
Citi Bank
Paypal Business debit card

Gift cards:
Amex GC

Prepaid cards:
Serve/Isis x2

When I travel abroad on my own:
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase Ink
Citi Prestige
Penfed Cash Rewards
Discover It

Last edited by yugi; Jul 31, 2014 at 9:51 pm
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You guys are all nuts! How long does your monthly reconciliation take?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tev9999
I have 20+ cards, but they are with only six or seven banks with multiple cards under each login. Only three or four are in use at any given time, but it is not difficult to monitor the dormant ones for suspicious activity with online banking and email statement.

When I started playing the 0% money game back around 2006 I was horrible about keeping track of paying bills. Since I could not risk missing a payment by a day when I was juggling $50,000 that could jump to 29.9% in a heartbeat.

I use Excel to track everything. Column A is contains every day of the year. Column B is the running balance of my checking account. The next couple columns are my income - salary and expense/miscellaneous, plus a couple more for other accounts I may push money to/from. Each credit card and other bill has its own column across the spreadsheet with basic info like the last four digits and payment day of the month. It is currently out to column AI, but I hide the columns for dormant cards to keep it manageable.

When I get a bill I will enter the payment amount under the appropriate card and on the row for the date due. If I have not yet scheduled the online payment, I color it red. Once the payment is scheduled I change it to blue. When it clears the bank I change it to green. I also color the cell for the first day of the month so I can see at a glance the status of every card. Everything gets rounded to the nearest dollar for simplicity. My checking balance is project out at least a month to make sure that there is always money to pay.
If you lived in the UK I'd have a job for you!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You guys are all nuts! How long does your monthly reconciliation take?
I use check.me mobile app to track all my cards and bills. All in one place, and you never miss a bill. They even support JCB, while no one else does.
https://check.me/
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:14 am
Suspended

Interesting app/software. That would tank in Europe since pretty much everybody (under the age of 70) pays bills by electronic direct debit. The only thing that I don't pay that way is my Amex cards (because I like to monitor the statements).
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:16 am
Suspended

If you lived in the UK I'd have a job for you!
Hey, I'm willing to move to UK
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:22 am

Interesting app/software. That would tank in Europe since pretty much everybody (under the age of 70) pays bills by electronic direct debit. The only thing that I don't pay that way is my Amex cards (because I like to monitor the statements).
You can monitor all the activity via Check app. That's what I do.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:51 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I have 11 credit, and 2 debits (plus countless other random non debit ATM cards from various credit unions I've joined throughout the years).

Amex x3
BPPR x3
Santander Puerto Rico x1
Barclaycard x1
GECRB x2
Discover x1
Citi x1
Ally x1

Out of these, Amex green, my Discover, and my BPPR debit live in my wallet. Any other card is on an as-needed basis.

ie- if I'm flying B6, I'll bring my Santander Jetblue MC, if I'm on AA, I'll bring my BPPR AA card, or if I need to impress, I'll bring my Amex platinum.

The Ally debit card strictly there for mainland US travel, in case a mainland US atm tries to rip me off from my BPPR card (which many ATM's don't recognize as a US card)
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Amex Platinum to impress??? Really?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
FWIW, it seemed to work for Patrick Bateman
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: TK*G, QR Gold, VA Gold, NZ Gold
OMG you guys have a lot of Credit Cards. The maximum I had was only 6 and I've gone bizerk. Can't imagine more than 10 really.

Now I only have 1 Signature card that provides heaps of benefits. All that I need. LOL I've entered into monogamous relationship with Visa.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:11 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I live in latin america...ish. Low wages and crap credit are normal. An actual credit or charge card - NOT debit - is odd - an Amex platinum here is impressive.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:19 am

Oh my, some of you have quite a lot of cards going on. Here i am with only a Visa DEBIT card.

Seeing that the whole collecting points with credit cards aren't that big in my country i don't see the reason to have one. I pay for my stuff with the actual money i have, straight up.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by WillCAD
We're having a discussion in the TS&S forum about a fraudster who was recently apprehended transiting a checkpoint with 50 credit cards in his carry-on. TSA thought this suspicious and called the police, who subsequently determined that the cards were fraudulent and the man was charged with several crimes.

I'd like to get a sense of how many credit cards the average frequent flier has at any given time. This does not count gift cards or pre-paid cards, just credit and debit cards that actually have a name on them.

Although this is a financial topic, I avoided the forums dedicated to credit and debit card programs, because I want to get an idea of the mean average. Those who frequent the credit and debit forums, I feel, would be more likely to open larger numbers of accounts in order to take advantage of signing bonuses and other programs, which would throw off the results.

So, tell me: How many credit cards do you have at any given time? How many do you carry on your person when traveling? How many do you actually use, as opposed to those you only signed up for to get some bonus miles?
2 Visas (Marriott and UA) and 1 MC. Any more than 3 or 4 is a clear indication of something outside the normal going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.