Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How aggressively do airlines check maximum checked baggage sizes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

How close do US and international carriers check baggage sizes for checked bags? I have a couple that meet the requirements without counting the wheels.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

I depends on the airline, but you should be prepared to include the wheels.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Never been measured for a regular suitcase, but my ski bags basically get measured all the time.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:40 am

I can't speak for intl oversize but domestically I haven't had issues on any major carrier except delta (they pulled out the tape measure on me) and that's being over by 2+ inches. tested on 50+ flights with the cases. Also as a point of reference, I generally checkin with skycap outside and tip well.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:32 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Flying Qantas a few years back, they bag drop belt had a sensor to check overall length. I was 1 cm over, they agent told me it was OK and took it to another belt loader.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Delta was very picky with me recently in terms of my suitcase fitting into their metal frame baggage sizer without too much squeezing. Other than that, I haven't seen any aggressive enforcement by U.S. airlines. European airlines can be picky about weight limits. Those usually cut in well before size becomes a factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.