Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Because it's free! Surprising how many drink just because of that

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
A drink or two (or three) is one thing. I'm sure most people do not raise a ruckus and hoot and hollar on the plane carrying a loud conversation with the other 5 guys scattered around F class with no regard to those sitting next to you. That's the point.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
A drink or two (or three) is one thing. I'm sure most people do not raise a ruckus and hoot and hollar on the plane carrying a loud conversation with the other 5 guys scattered around F class with no regard to those sitting next to you. That's the point.
I've been in your shoes a few times - it sucks and any attempts to calm things down is only like throwing gas on a fire... Turn up the music and close your eyes and imagine you are flying to DPS instead of DEN...
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I usually get one of two reactions - the "raised eyebrow of concern" - like I'm going to be trouble -- or a "the approving little smirk" that means "I wish I could have one too"...
It's funny. It really depends on the FAs.

I have ordered 3 scotches on a Transcon and on my third (these are 1-2 ounce pours btw and it's a 5 hour flight) and on one the FA looked at me and said -ok, but that's your last one. (I was by myself, quiet and reading although casually dressed). THis past week I was in a suit and the FA kept asking me if I wanted another drink. I switched to wine but I was rather surprised. I guess I will be wearing suits more!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:17 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'd like to say things like this are due to TOD ... well, wait, actually they are due to TOD! "I'm gonna drink my $59 worth of booze, ah yeah!"
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by DCEsquire

I have ordered 3 scotches on a Transcon and on my third (these are 1-2 ounce pours btw and it's a 5 hour flight) and on one the FA looked at me and said -ok, but that's your last one. (I was by myself, quiet and reading although casually dressed). THis past week I was in a suit and the FA kept asking me if I wanted another drink. I switched to wine but I was rather surprised. I guess I will be wearing suits more!
Might be the plane type as well - I'm usually on a UEX tube of death to a UA hub for my first flight and the poor lone FA is either already in hell or just about there at 5:30am in the morning after explaining to just about every passenger that:

A) No, their rollerboard won't fit in the overhead or under their seat
B) On the Q-series explaining why rows 5-9 or 11-17 have mysteriously vanished
C) Yes, that is the bathroom

Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:08 pm
xox

Programs: UA ex-1k, now Gold bumped up from Silver
Originally Posted by DCEsquire

I usually try to catch a buzz when crossing an ocean just so I can sleep but the FAs have almost always been ... what's the word ... supportive. I usually order two or three cognacs and lately it seems like they've been bringing me more without my even asking ... in fact on my last flight, the FA was even heating the cognac glass for me (without my asking).

Bud Lite? Now that's a waste of F ...
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
If I'm quiet can I drink as much as I like?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: United 1K (after 15 years GS) 3MM, Marriott LTTitanium
As I tell my wife, it's not free, just no additional cost.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
A group of 6 men going on vacation onboard already quite buzzed now drinking all the Bud Lite in F. They have little regard to anyone else on the plane. Its free and all about them. UGH!!!
Sounds like my last IAD-LAS flight. And no, I wasn't one of the partiers.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Bud Lite. Now I sympathize - the hillbillies are loose...
No class regardless of class..

BTW: How the hell do you get "loud" on Bud Light?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Hmm...from what I've observed on FT, there seem to be multiple philosophies when it comes to drinking in J/F. Personally, I say drink as much as you want/can as long as you don't disturb others. On long flights, I love settling in, having a few drinks, working up a nice buzz while eating and watching a couple of movies, then pass out and wake up an hour or two before arrival to freshen up and grab some coffee before landing. To me, that's the perfect longhaul experience.

There was that one time when my seatmate (whom I didn't previously know) and I drank the J cabin out of Crown Royal on a DEL-EWR flight, but that's a story for a different thread...
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by zcat18
Hmm...from what I've observed on FT, there seem to be multiple philosophies when it comes to drinking in J/F. Personally, I say drink as much as you want/can as long as you don't disturb others. On long flights, I love settling in, having a few drinks, working up a nice buzz while eating and watching a couple of movies, then pass out and wake up an hour or two before arrival to freshen up and grab some coffee before landing. To me, that's the perfect longhaul experience.

There was that one time when my seatmate (whom I didn't previously know) and I drank the J cabin out of Crown Royal on a DEL-EWR flight, but that's a story for a different thread...
+1
On the rare time I travel up front, or the rarer time I travel in the middle its all about finding the pleasant buzz allowing me to recline back and chill.. Having not traveled for pleasure for the last 4 years (first holiday in 4 years coming up a week from today) Upgrade on way home >> Upgrade on way out..
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
I do feel a little ... well, "guilty" isn't the right word, I suppose ... when I have an early AM flight in F and don't partake. It's like I'm wasting the trip in F! (Given there's little else to sell F on UA these days ).
That's what a Bloody Mary or Screwdriver are for, after all you're getting you're morning juice!

I once had Dom on a 6am departure from SIN, I wondered out loud to the FA if it was too early to which she replied "It's never too early for Dom Perignon".
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JBord
Because there are only 2-3 on every flight?
No, that was a confusion about the reported stocking of them.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
It sounds like OP's anger is misdirected at people drinking because it's free. It should be directed at people making too much noise. I think that's something we can all get behind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.