Search

Most disappointing place you've been to

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Small place - Barrow

Large place - Milan

Plenty of other "disappointments" but none that I had wanted to visit for a long time.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred

China, the sellers are so oppressive. People trying to rip you off at every corner,. One time I went in for a massage and she told me if I wanted her to use oil, that would be 40$ extra. On almost every corner there are people trying to friend u so they can take you for tea and then charge you a huge bill. They are also into ivory, which comes from killing elephants.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist

Good thread.

I would have to say Anchorage. Once you get out, it's beautiful up there. But I thought the city was going to be better. It was a dump and I would probably kill myself if I had to live there in the winter.

Guess my expectations were off
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: BA
Disneyworld.

Remember the Disneyland in CA of 20-30, lots of enjoyable restaurants, pleasant staff, etc. Went to Disneyworld in FL a couple of years ago, had turned into the opposite. Staff the rudest we met in the whole of FL, eating places had all retreated into fast food junk on paper plates, there were a couple of better places but the staff made clear that if you hadn't made precise reservations long beforehand, or were staying in one of their own hotels, you weren't welcome.

There were also several rides, including two key ones I remembered, out of action for overhaul, not advised until you had entered.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by smith80678
China, the sellers are so oppressive. People trying to rip you off at every corner,. One time I went in for a massage and she told me if I wanted her to use oil, that would be 40$ extra. On almost every corner there are people trying to friend u so they can take you for tea and then charge you a huge bill. They are also into ivory, which comes from killing elephants.
Depends on if you hang out in only in the tourist areas.

Really? Ivory comes from elephants
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Dallas.

I thought it would be interesting. Glad I was there for professional reasons.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Paris.

If you want to spend a lot of money to go somewhere that is terribly uncomfortable as a male, with everyone you encounter being downright rude, Paris is the place to go.

The best part of going to Paris was leaving to head to Köln again.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pinned
that is terribly uncomfortable as a male
Did all the pretty (and not so pretty) French girls make you uncomfortable?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Bahrain, hands down.

Everywhere else I've traveled I've found something redeeming, interesting, or fascinating, but in Bahrain...absolutely nothing.

Kuwait was a pretty close second, but then I saw two teenager girls in full hijabs and abayas get into a fistfight in the middle of a mall while hundreds of people cheered and egged them on...and was entertained
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:41 am
Suspended

I'd second Brussels. Many of the beers seemed overhyped, and there wasn't much more to do than drink them.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by littlesheep
For years and years I had wanted to go to Arches national park. I thought I'd be sleeping amongst red rock and getting up to watch sunrise through an arch and watching stars through arches and so on. Never quite made it there. Till I did.
Yikes! I absolutely love Arches and the other red-rock parks in southern Utah and northern Arizona. They are among the most beautiful places I have ever visited. I understand why your experience was bad but I urge you to reconsider and try another visit.

Here are some tips for a better trip that apply to all US National Parks:

- Crowds are always a concern at major US National Parks
- There are fewer crowds outside of holiday weekends
- There are fewer crowds outside of summer weekends
- There are fewer crowds in early morning and late afternoon
- Even when there are crowds on the roads and at the scenic pull-offs, hiking just 1/2 mile (less than 1km) out on a trail gets you away from a significant fraction of the visitors
- Check the website or call when planning your visit to determine if planned closures will affecting your visit.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Anaheim. My expectations were very low to begin with, but even so I managed to be disappointed. If there is a redeeming value I didn't find it.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN, DL Plat
Otp. Someone booked me to Bucharest instead of Budapest
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, UA, AA

It would be Paris for me. Scam artist at major attractions, long wait times at restaurants, lot of impatient and rude people, especially those that work in the public sector or service industry, and some of the sites did not live up to the hype.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Sydney/Melbourne - it was a long way to go to see something that didn't seem all too different than home. Not a bad place, just oddly not wholly dissimilar.

I wonder if Aussies feel the same about visiting southern California?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.