Which country caught you off guard?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which country caught you off guard?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:34 pm

Reykjavík

Also not a country but a city - Reykjavík is totally under-rated. Had to do an overnight there back when I was young and flying everywhere the cheapest possible way. Odd, charming and totally worth it - especially if you like alcohol and fish
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Venezuela (with the notable exception of Caracas).
Stunningly beautiful countryside, warm people and incredible food.
If only Caracas could be excised from the country and turned into an island in some faraway ocean.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Belgium, specifically the food.

After about 10 days in France, Mrs. Anywhere and I spent 4 days in Bruge and Brussels. We expected good food in France and got it. The food in Belgium as even better.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
For me, two places were really surprisingly great: South Korea and Hong Kong. South Korea because we really hadn't ever heard about it as a tourist destination at all, but then we found it a lot of fun. Hong Kong was just really impressive.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:25 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by mg10461
Also not a country but a city - Reykjavík is totally under-rated. Had to do an overnight there back when I was young and flying everywhere the cheapest possible way. Odd, charming and totally worth it - especially if you like alcohol and fish
Iceland is def o my list!

I havent been far, but Nicaragua was awesome. Poor country, but the people and locations were awesome. It was a great adventure!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Chile

I went on a whim for a long weekend in late 2001, liked it so much I went back for a 10 day trip a month later, and have ended every year in Chile since then. I've been 20-some times.
Chile for me too. Santiago specifically.

We had a cruise from Valparaiso and arrived in Santiago 3 days early as we didn't want to take any chances with delayed/cancelled flights and missing the ship.

I loved Santiago and the surrounding areas. I expected it just to be somewhere that we had to be for a few days but couldn't believe how much we both loved it. We're planning to go back next year.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by flyernick
For me, two places were really surprisingly great: South Korea and Hong Kong. South Korea because we really hadn't ever heard about it as a tourist destination at all, but then we found it a lot of fun. Hong Kong was just really impressive.
Agree about South Korea. I think that Seoul could legitimately be considered one of the world's great cities, but it's underrated. (They need a Lost in Translation-like marketing boost; I don't think that "Gangnam Style" cuts it.) I haven't traveled elsewhere in the country, but would like to.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:01 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I had underestimated Portugal. I truly loved my trip there and plan to go back at some point.

Rome failed to impress me. I disliked the general atmosphere, the dirty subway, etc. I haven't been anywhere else in Italy, but I can't say that I'm eager to try either.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Turnboss
Went to thailand as stopover. Loved the country so much that I am planning to retire there. Since than I have visited 12-13 times already. Loved there culture food and nightlife.
same. i always had the perception it was a hedonistic bachelors place... sex tourism, that kind of stuff.

but no, its so easy to get in (no visas), to get around, everyone is universally nice, awesome food... just a good place to relax.... and a direct fly from here so its my main portal to asia
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:06 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Luxembourg.
Just visited last weekend and it was so much more interesting than expected. I am already looking at my calendar to see when I can go again - didn't feel like I had enough time there.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by helosc
Luxembourg.
Just visited last weekend and it was so much more interesting than expected. I am already looking at my calendar to see when I can go again - didn't feel like I had enough time there.
Really? I found it one of the most boring places in the world. We had a nice walk, an outdoor lunch and visited the old city but a day, day and a half was more than enough. Did we miss something? And, everything closed down around 7 at night.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Biel, Switzerland. And Switzerland countryside in general.

Probably due to greenery (grass actually was greener comparing what I've seen before), probably due to first visit and time of the visit - August, but still.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by Catusa
Really? I found it one of the most boring places in the world. We had a nice walk, an outdoor lunch and visited the old city but a day, day and a half was more than enough. Did we miss something? And, everything closed down around 7 at night.
No you probably didn't miss anything, I just took an instant liking to Luxembourg City. I found it to be really beautiful.
Found it very diversified in terms of things to see : old ruins, old city walls, fantastic views over the Grund, nice architecture, bridges, parks, good restaurants, charming squares and pedestrian area. A nice mix of new and old, and of city and nature. I liked that you could move a little away from the crowded areas and find peace and quiet. And I just simply liked the feel of the city.
Yes the shops closed early ( and was closed on Sunday ) but I didn't go there for shopping. The restaurants and bars in the main area of the city were lively enough in the evenings, I found.
On Sunday they had concerts on the Place d'Armes in the afternoon so I was happy to sit and relax ( eat and drink ) there for a few hours.
I spend a day travelling around Luxembourg ( Echternach, Diekirch, Vianden and Etterbruck ) which took a day away from the city.
I didn't see the Kirchberg area (The EU institutions and other very new and modern buildings ) which I would have liked to or the Clausen area which is supposed to have a lot of restaurants and bars.
I think one's impression of the city also depends on why one is going there. If it is part of a big European Trip, it will naturally be overshadowed by other much bigger cities with very prominent tourist sights.
I went there to have a relaxing weekend and I certainly wasn't bored, merely relaxed...
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Poland.
I take that a place impresses me first by its people, then things do see/do.
Polish are, in my opinion, the nicest people in Europe. And I've been visiting every single European country.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Dhaka, Bangladesh. Yes, there was the poverty. Yes, there were the crowds. Yes, there were the dirt and the heat and the smells and the noise. But there was a chaotic energy there that captivated me. Tiny little shops no bigger than a closet. Goats being driven along a city street (soon to become someone's dinner). Traffic that can only be described as insane. To me, it was like India on steroids. I loved it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.