Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to US with more than $10,000 in cash or equivalent

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
The OP did not ask about smuggling money; he asked about how to be legit and declare it. Why is it so hard for some on this site to just answer a question and move on?

Thank you flying,

As I stated before, there is a legit reason my friend wants to carry that much cash and he has no intention to hide it to the custom.

While one think that is large amount of money, to some one in his stature it is a pretty small amount.

The purpose of this question is trying to reach experts in this area and perhaps get advice who to ask the right questions.

Flying, other than the appropriate forms to be filed in addition to the normal custom declaration, does he have to prepare to answer any more questions regarding the source and use of funds? The reason this question is to prepare all the answers/paperworks for the us custom ahead of the time.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by artloversplus
Thank you flying,

As I stated before, there is a legit reason my friend wants to carry that much cash and he has no intention to hide it to the custom.

While one think that is large amount of money, to some one in his stature it is a pretty small amount.

The purpose of this question is trying to reach experts in this area and perhaps get advice who to ask the right questions.

Flying, other than the appropriate forms to be filed in addition to the normal custom declaration, does he have to prepare to answer any more questions regarding the source and use of funds? The reason this question is to prepare all the answers/paperworks for the us custom ahead of the time.
The US consulate will tell him what he needs to do to comply with the law.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:55 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by ajGoes
The US consulate will tell him what he needs to do to comply with the law.
Do you really believe that?

Having worked with, and in in some cases US Embassies and Consulates I can tell you that it is unlikely unless that office has a Treasury or CBP detachment (some do). A duty officer at a smaller station might make things more complicated than needed. Depends on which one would be used. But this is not really the thread for the uselessness of US foreign offices so I digress.

As others have noted, make sure to check on filing requirements for where you are leaving. The UK, EU, and many other locations have an exit filing rule ~10,000$US equivalent also.

Artlover, he will certainly be asked questions and there is no way to predict what kind of agents one will get on any given day. There is a CBP agent who posts in TS/S "Firebug" IIRC who can provide more insight I presume.

You will always be asked at least three questions, the source of the cash (his savings, or loan, or gambling winnings, inheritance, etc), where you got it (straight from bank, holding company, family etc) and what generically you will be using it for (US deposit, purchasing, etc).
You want to have the receipts/logs showing how the money was either given to you or saved at home. THe more paperwork the better normally.

People bring in and leave with large amounts of cash daily so it is not unheard of but the larger the amount the more time it could take depending on agents and even the demeanor of the bearer.

You can give advanced notice to Treasury via the links I posted earlier and that is often wise.

I personally have seen them take forever to clear 12K and not even bat an eye at 151k$ in a big metal suitcase. With DHS it always depends.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Yes, flying. He is well versed in taking cash out of the country he is at. It is not the first time he has done so, he travel regularly between the countries other than USA. This is the first time he is attempting to enter USA, thus the question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.