Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Would marketing U.S domestic F as "Business" help temper expectations/disappointment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would marketing U.S domestic F as "Business" help temper expectations/disappointment?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat

It's no secret that there really isn't anything first class about what passes for domestic "first class" these days. That's a well-worn topic.

Why, then, don't more U.S. airlines change their marketing/branding schemes to manage customers' expectations? It seems that the current marketing of domestic premium products has only left carriers with egg on their faces, as the concept of domestic "first class" has become somewhat of a joke among frequent flyers. If what the legacy carriers now call "First" was rebranded as business class, perhaps it would help them actually sell the product while helping to frame complimentary upgrades (what few are still awarded) as reasonable rewards for frequent spending with a given carrier. Delta seems to be headed this direction, but nobody else appears to be following suit. Am I missing something?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: Independent
I don't think, domestically anyways, it really matters. People don't pay for it because quite frankly it's not worth it, no matter what you call it. The actual amount of space you gain is not in proportion to the increased price, the service certainly doesn't make up for the difference.

If you were to drop the price to be about 1.75 times what the average price people actually pay (not non discounted or full fare Y), I bet you would have people lined up.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I don't think, domestically anyways, it really matters. People don't pay for it because quite frankly it's not worth it, no matter what you call it. The actual amount of space you gain is not in proportion to the increased price, the service certainly doesn't make up for the difference.

If you were to drop the price to be about 1.75 times what the average price people actually pay (not non discounted or full fare Y), I bet you would have people lined up.
True. Cost probably is the larger issue than perceived value for "first" vs. "business" when selling seats, as opposed to giving away upgrades. It just seems like an odd holdover from a bygone era to call the domestic premium product "first class," and a little goodwill through truth in advertising might be helpful from a marketing standpoint. I do think that generally the price point of domestic first is absurd, but then again, any premium cabin--long or short-haul--will cost far more than the experience is really worth. I'd venture to guess that even the finest Suites services (SQ, EK, etc.) are nice, but not $20,000 nice.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by zcat18
It just seems like an odd holdover from a bygone era to call the domestic premium product "first class," and a little goodwill through truth in advertising might be helpful from a marketing standpoint.
Totally agree. I was fortunate to have logged a lot of flights back when "First Class" in the U.S. really was much nicer in more comfortable seats, better pitch and much better service. The current product is below the Coach Class standards of most airlines back in the 1970s. Marketing today's product as Business Class with the emphasis on increased space would be a lot more accurate. As for food, more and more I'm starting to bring my own along, even on so-called "First Class" flights.

As food for thought, here's a picture of Economy Class meal service from that bygone era...

Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:03 pm

AS doesn't have a 3 cabin plane, so there's not really much confusion there.

I can't argue with Seat2A's comments, but....

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...oticed/273506/

it was a lot more expensive to boot.

The airlines do market what first is on their airlines. AS isn't drastically different than other domestic J cabins. There are a few 3 class planes floating around, but they're mostly long hauls between NYC and LAX or various routes where an international config gets pulled in.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
I think they need to re-brand those First Class cabins on regional jet to Business Class. I'm talking about Q400 or CRJ700 with United Express. Huge difference compared to the First Class on main liners. Seats are only slightly larger than Economy, no food service, no pre-flight drink... I hope no one is paying more than double fare for these seats.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
United brands flights between Canada and the US as 'Business' as opposed to 'First'. It's the same product though.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by D582
United brands flights between Canada and the US as 'Business' as opposed to 'First'. It's the same product though.
Same seat, not quite the same product. Among other things lounge access is included on the Business fares. And in some cases meal service offerings are different for comparable stage lengths.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:56 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I think Spirit has the right idea. Just call it "Big Front Seats".
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:22 am

Another word that is much overused in the U.S. is 'premium' - in marketing literature, everything in a cabin other than economy is 'premium' - premium seats, meals, drinks, blankets, headsets. The word is so overused that it is virtually meaningless.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in my experience,european domestic first is the same as Y with middle seat blocked, and first class food(at least for breakfast).
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by slawecki
in my experience,european domestic first is the same as Y with middle seat blocked, and first class food(at least for breakfast).
Do they not refer to it as 'Business' in Europe (middle seat blocked). That is my (limited, admittedly) experience with BA and AY.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Who cares what they call it -- what matters is what it costs and what it is. BA runs around calling Business, Club World and Economy, World Traveler. Maybe that's supposed to make people feel better than 2nd or 4th class.

The people who choose to pay for F or have it included in their employment contracts simply fly it. Others are getting a freebie and will take whatever it is.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:07 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by Often1
Who cares what they call it -- what matters is what it costs and what it is. BA runs around calling Business, Club World and Economy, World Traveler. Maybe that's supposed to make people feel better than 2nd or 4th class.

The people who choose to pay for F or have it included in their employment contracts simply fly it. Others are getting a freebie and will take whatever it is.
BA do differentiate - it's Club Europe or Club World depending on the flight, but the CE cabin is as you imply, nothing more than economy with an empty seat between you and the next person and a "bit" more food. CW is a lot better but being overtaken all the time. There's no F class intra Europe unless perhaps you get a long haul that stops en route but not sure if that happens any more.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by lloydah
BA do differentiate - it's Club Europe or Club World depending on the flight, but the CE cabin is as you imply, nothing more than economy with an empty seat between you and the next person and a "bit" more food. CW is a lot better but being overtaken all the time. There's no F class intra Europe unless perhaps you get a long haul that stops en route but not sure if that happens any more.
And that creates a system with at least 6 classes of service that I can think of:
F, Club World, LCY Club World, Club Europe, World Traveler Plus, and World Traveler. No one aircraft offers more than 4 of those, but the point is that this sort of individualized branding really doesn't matter in the US, because there are -- with some very limited exceptions -- no meals in steerage and no US carrier has an improved hard or soft product for Y, e.g. premium economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.