Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sticker shock for USA domestic travel this spring

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by pinniped
One year...mid 90's...I flew from Chicago down to Orlando to meet some of my Welsh friends who flew over for the week between Christmas and New Year's. They rented a house in a little development that was essentially a Welsh enclave! The people in the next house over were from Swansea, the people on the other side were from a smaller town in Mid-Wales, lots of people on the street from Cardiff. Either weekly renters or full-on snowbirds.

I didn't get the entire backstory about the development, but since human travel agents probably still booked a lot of these trips in the mid-90's, it could have been as simple as a developer connected to a few agents in Wales and some well-placed advertising. They were single-family units, but the place appeared to have been designed from the start to be vacation rentals.

The convenience store right outside the neighborhood had a decent supply of Welsh and British items...candies, crisps, magazines/newspapers, etc.
Still happens. Especially with vacation homes, you will find they sometimes concentrate their marketing - either on purpose or just so happens - in certain areas. Which is why in Florida there are so many hotel properties which never seem to show up on your searches here, but are always full.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jrl767
and Amtrak started the AutoTrain between Lorton VA (~20 mi south of Washington DC) and Sanford FL (Orlando metropolitan area) in the early 1970s ... I've never taken it, but know several who have made multiple round-trips with kids and sing high praises for it
The AutoTrain actually predates Amtrak's operation of this route. It was the last private passenger train company to surrender to the feds in 1981. (Southern lasted until 1979 IIRC. Most of the other legacy railroads abandoned passenger service in 1969-1971, which was the founding impetus for Amtrak).

http://www.themetrains.com/auto-train-main.htm
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by fastflyer
The AutoTrain actually predates Amtrak's operation of this route. It was the last private passenger train company to surrender to the feds in 1981. (Southern lasted until 1979 IIRC. Most of the other legacy railroads abandoned passenger service in 1969-1971, which was the founding impetus for Amtrak).

http://www.themetrains.com/auto-train-main.htm
I wish we did more of those. I wish they had something closer to New England. If I am going to drive all the way down to VA, I might as well drive the rest of the way to Florida.

Not all remaining railroad became Amtrak, btw. The Alaska Railroad is still independent of it (though a quasi-state owned company).
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 318i
Sure! They'll just put it on their credit cards and eventually pay it back at 18.37% APY.........
Why would they do that?
(then again, I know some educated people who cannot manage their finances...)
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
One year...mid 90's...I flew from Chicago down to Orlando to meet some of my Welsh friends who flew over for the week between Christmas and New Year's. They rented a house in a little development that was essentially a Welsh enclave! The people in the next house over were from Swansea, the people on the other side were from a smaller town in Mid-Wales, lots of people on the street from Cardiff. Either weekly renters or full-on snowbirds.

I didn't get the entire backstory about the development, but since human travel agents probably still booked a lot of these trips in the mid-90's, it could have been as simple as a developer connected to a few agents in Wales and some well-placed advertising. They were single-family units, but the place appeared to have been designed from the start to be vacation rentals.

The convenience store right outside the neighborhood had a decent supply of Welsh and British items...candies, crisps, magazines/newspapers, etc.
Loads of Brits over there as back in the 90s before the housing market etc went a bit pear shaped, Florida was cheap (some flights below £200 or £499 with 2 weeks accommodation) with these massive 4 bed houses with a pool going for less than a parking space in London (c £100-200k?). Coupled with the good £ to $ rate ($2 = £1?) , TV showing, through rose tinted glasses, how wonderful Florida was, people took advantage of this, bought property, stayed there a while and rented when they weren't there to cover the mortgage etc.
(Same with Spain and Australia although the latter is doing well enough)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Why would they do that?
(then again, I know some educated people who cannot manage their finances...)
To keep up with the Joneses? Because they can't say no to their children? Because they think they "deserve" it? Because they want a temporary, yet damaging, escape from stagnant middle-class wages? (Not that I'm blaming them...)

The psychology of overspending is fascinating, and probably a topic for another (OMNI) thread. But there are so many people in this country living like this... it's not even funny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.