Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comfort during long flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2014, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Can you share your tips for being comfortable during a long flight 8 plus hours.
Any tips on things I should carry with me to help with this.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Stars4SA
Can you share your tips for being comfortable during a long flight 8 plus hours.
I start with a few cocktails, then enjoy the appetizer, salad, entree, hot fudge sundae, then put on the pajamas provided by the flight attendant, recline the seat to the full flat bed, and sleep for several hours. Comfort is quite easy, really.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stars4SA

I start with a few cocktails, then enjoy the appetizer, salad, entree, hot fudge sundae, then put on the pajamas provided by the flight attendant, recline the seat to the full flat bed, and sleep for several hours. Comfort is quite easy, really.
Yes,

In first...
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Be able to control your environment. Eye mask if you want to get rest. Ear plugs. A few layers of clothes. Comfy shoes. Good headphones. Try not to be booked in a middle seat. Set your watch to the destination's timezone as soon as you get on the plane. Bring a few books you'll enjoy.

Drink plenty of water. Bring some snacks you really like.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Yes,

In first...
are you suggesting that there's a second?

Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:18 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

I'm doing my first long haul Y... I assume lots of liquor will be key.

Does thai still serve free drinks in coach?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:36 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jerry305
Be able to control your environment. Eye mask if you want to get rest. Ear plugs. A few layers of clothes. Comfy shoes. Good headphones. Try not to be booked in a middle seat. Set your watch to the destination's timezone as soon as you get on the plane. Bring a few books you'll enjoy.

Drink plenty of water. Bring some snacks you really like.
A few layers of clothes? I guess for some people. I find most planes are warm and I wear max two layers - one that I can take off if it gets too hot.

Even before I step on the plane - usually the day before or the morning of my flight - I am already thinking of what time it is at my destination and try to adjust my schedule accordingly.

I don't drink and I usually do well on my long-haul flights. Eyeshades and noise-cancelling headphones are really helpful. Trying to rest while it is the middle of the night at your destination is also helpful. Staying hydrated is key too. I bring my own water bottle onto the plane.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Great suggestions. Thank you!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Ambien, and yes there is a 2nd class! it is called business class...almost as good as FC, just a few more people for the FA to serve
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by satman40
Ambien, and yes there is a 2nd class! it is called business class...almost as good as FC, just a few more people for the FA to serve
Thanks. Is this "business class" that you speak of the area of the plane where the porters deposit my luggage?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by fti
A few layers of clothes? I guess for some people. I find most planes are warm and I wear max two layers - one that I can take off if it gets too hot.
Don't fly HKG-EWR and especially don't sit next to window. Apparently temperature outside is affecting temp inside quite a lot. I had to wrap myself in two blankets and wear two pair of socks and it still did not help.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Liquor and Ambien are really bad suggestions for a first-timer.

OP: One of your problems will be dehydration. Alcohol dries you out so limit your intake. Drink plenty of fluids, eat lightly, avoid caffeine, try to get the body clock onto your destination time as early as you can. Try to rest but many believe it is better to avoid too much sleep so as to arrive tired. Do not nap upon arrival but stay up until a reasonable bed-time. That should help you adjust as quickly as possible to sleeping on the local clock.

The idea of having easy-to-shed layers is good. The days of decent blankets being available in economy are gone. Depending on what airline you use, you may get a thin little thing but more likely no blanket. Having a jacket, sweatshirt or something allows you to cover up yourself if it gets cool or uncover if too warm. Dress comfortably in clothes in which you can relax and maybe nap. I like to have a little bag of snacks, crossword or sudoku puzzles and pencil, pen to fill out arrival documents, any medications I might need, a paperback book or my e-reader, eye drops, anti-acids, a few cough drops, a bottle of water purchased at the airport after security and anything else that might make me a bit more comfortable. That goes in my carry-on bag but comes out and under the seat in front of me as soon as I board. The idea is to be independent of the crew for simple things like a snack or drink of water. If they come by, I'll use their supplies but sometimes it might be hours. If I get thirsty or need to take a pill, I have what I need. I also take some Aleve before boarding to try to head off the inevitable aches and pains that result from so long in a really uncomfortable seat. For someone who is prone to motion sickness, a Dramamine or other OTC remedy might be a good idea before the flight.

Plan on getting out of the seat and walking around - at least to the lavatory and back - every few hours to keep the blood flowing. Do foot and ankle stretches and twists at your seat occasionally in between walks. Cramped, uncomfortable positions for long periods can lead to some pretty unpleasant physical problems. You are not required to stay in your seat all the time unless the captain turns on the seat-belt sign, say for unexpected turbulence, or during take-off and landing. Best to avoid getting in the crew's way during meal or drink service but get moving occasionally. Stretch out the kinks.

Just be aware that it will be a pretty unpleasant experience for several hours and plan ahead to provide yourself with a few things to make it a little more bearable. Millions of people survive coach every week and you will too. It is your pre-planning that will help make it better for you than for most of those others.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold

I like the 1st Class Sleeper inflatable back pillow for long-haul travel. Also NyQuil or a comparable nighttime cold medicine. Check the ingredients first to make sure none of them are banned where you're going (eg, Japan is very strict regarding some OTC remedies from the US and the EU).
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I mostly echo abmj-jr's advice. Good stuff there!

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Liquor and Ambien are really bad suggestions for a first-timer.

OP: One of your problems will be dehydration. Alcohol dries you out so limit your intake. Drink plenty of fluids, eat lightly, avoid caffeine, [...]
[...]
I like to have a little bag of snacks [...]
a bottle of water purchased at the airport after security
[...]
Plan on getting out of the seat and walking around - at least to the lavatory and back - every few hours to keep the blood flowing.
I would categorize them as follows:
1. Before the flight:
- show up reasonably rested (not after an all-nighter; I tried that and it was brutal), reasonably sober
- don't eat heavy food (or food that makes you gassy) before the flight, try to be reasonably hydrated and whatever you do, do NOT drink beer before and during the flight
- shower as close to the flight as possible
- prepare: get yourself some water and always have a snack in your carryon(nut mix / chocolate / fruit); have your own entertainment (magazine / book / media player / laptop / whatever)
- if you wear contacts, take them off

2. During the flight:
- don't eat too much and stay away from stuff that dehydrates you (e.g. potato chips)
- you can drink alcohol (besides beer); just compensate with water
- stay well hydrated and move around once in a while
Old Feb 17, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: CX MPC, AC Aeroplan
Two most significant things I found for myself:

1. Put on a good noise cancelling headphone, not the noise "blocking" earbud type. I leave it on while I sleep and it makes a huge difference in the quality of sleep, at least for myself.

2. While awake, get myself off the seat at least once an hour, walk around, hit the galley and drink a couple glasses of water, and stand around for a bit. Makes it much more comfortable getting back to the seat after some stretching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.