Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone use Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Never used Airbnb. I have used VRBO, Homeaway, and apartments listed on Booking.com with very good success. Used those in several states/provinces in North America as well as 4 or 5 countries in Europe. Never a problem with the quality of any of the spaces...occasionally have minor difficulties *finding* the places, but that is often my own fault, not the owner's.

Last year, Airbnb was in the news for requiring ID in order to proceed with a booking. I don't know how true that is or whether the media made much ado about nothing, but I know there's a zero percent chance I'd ever scan a driver's license or a passport in order to book a hotel room. I don't mind showing ID when I check into a place, and I know there are some countries where they do record passport information by law (either photocopy or writing the digits down), but the requirement to send this information to Airbnb over the Internet would be an absolute dealbreaker for me. Again, I don't know if this is actually required...or if there's a way to opt out.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pinniped
Never used Airbnb. I have used VRBO, Homeaway, and apartments listed on Booking.com with very good success. Used those in several states/provinces in North America as well as 4 or 5 countries in Europe. Never a problem with the quality of any of the spaces...occasionally have minor difficulties *finding* the places, but that is often my own fault, not the owner's.

Last year, Airbnb was in the news for requiring ID in order to proceed with a booking. I don't know how true that is or whether the media made much ado about nothing, but I know there's a zero percent chance I'd ever scan a driver's license or a passport in order to book a hotel room. I don't mind showing ID when I check into a place, and I know there are some countries where they do record passport information by law (either photocopy or writing the digits down), but the requirement to send this information to Airbnb over the Internet would be an absolute dealbreaker for me. Again, I don't know if this is actually required...or if there's a way to opt out.
AirBNB does have an authentication process, but there are many options. I was verified just by linking to my LindedIn account and there are several other options. I didn't need to provide any sort of ID scan, but that may well be one option.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by milepig
AirBNB does have an authentication process, but there are many options. I was verified just by linking to my LindedIn account and there are several other options. I didn't need to provide any sort of ID scan, but that may well be one option.
I suppose I could generate a throwaway social media account solely for Airbnb, but it's still pretty offensive that they would even ask for it.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:00 pm

i was a host good concept

we did hosting 2 yrs and used aswell.... energy level was nice....glad of people we meet....enjoyed staying at privite villa san diego with own boat...and little dog that owners trusted us to watch.....our home was income vary fast had to pay taxes on it....a great past experance
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:54 pm

I'm giving it another try. Perfect location and price for my upcoming trip so I sent an inquiry to the host. She confirmed the rate and availability. And then sent a second email to let me know that the wifi wasn't actually available, despite the listing showing it.

We traded a couple emails and she says it is installed now. We'll see next week when I get there.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I suppose I could generate a throwaway social media account solely for Airbnb, but it's still pretty offensive that they would even ask for it.
Why is it offensive? You expect a complete stranger to let you onto their property without even verifying who you are?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:57 pm

I've used it with success at a high end property. Triple the space, half the price, better location then any hotel could provide.

One issue I've heard about is owners contacting back with increased rates. I'd complain when that happens.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Airbnb has been banned at my company because a couple of employees were using it to stay with family members while taking the rent money for themselves.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
Why is it offensive? You expect a complete stranger to let you onto their property without even verifying who you are?
I don't mind the hotel/villa/apartment/whatever itself asking for ID: it's the booking agency asking for it that bothers me.

Again, it's mainly the idea of scanning a passport and sending it to their servers. Setting up some sort of social network account bothers me less...if I was dying to use this service, I might succumb to that.

I assume you still show ID when you arrive at the property, right?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I don't mind the hotel/villa/apartment/whatever itself asking for ID: it's the booking agency asking for it that bothers me.

Again, it's mainly the idea of scanning a passport and sending it to their servers. Setting up some sort of social network account bothers me less...if I was dying to use this service, I might succumb to that.

AirBnB hosts only communicate with guests via the AirBnB message system, not directly, until the reservation is made/accepted. Thus the only way for the host to know anything about the guest before accepting a reservation is the guest's submission of identifying information to AirBnB itself. It doesn't have to be a passport or even a drivers' license; a social network account or even a phone number is helpful. This is for the protection of the host. And no, hosts do not necessarily ask for ID when the guest arrives (I don't, anyway).
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've never been asked for ID when arriving. In some cases there's someone there to essentially hand over the keys, but in other cases it hasn't been anything more than "the key is under the mat." There have been times when I've never seen the owner. I don't mind being verified, especially since I used my linkedin account, which is nothing but mundane work history stuff, which can be just as easily found by googling. If seeing "verified" on my account makes an owner feel more comfortable that's OK by me.

If an owner asked to see my ID I'd have no problem showing it, but maybe advanced notice would be nice. I've seen ads that say "please be prepared to show your ID when you arrive" and once place that said they'd make a copy. I didn't rent in either case but for other reasons, but was glad to know upfront.

As an owner I'd want some level of assurance that the person I was working with was actually what they represented themselves to be and not some 16 year old hash head looking for a party place for the weekend. It just makes sense. And, if AirBNB can do it for me once, I really don't see a huge problem.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, 50K Altitude, Nexus
I've rented my place out starting early last year on airbnb. It's a one bed condo right across from the air Canada center, which is a decent location if you are going to an event, not so if you wanna party.

If I am in town I stay at my gfs place which is few mins away, or she handles it for me if I am traveling for work which avgs 8-10 days a month. I bought a small fridge for them to use and lock my closet and they have a fess to my parking (as I don't have a car). That's the big selling feature for other Ontario people driving into the big city for an event.

I avgd 70 a night and did 31 days last year, most I got was 180 a night for two nights for guys following the UFC. I'm actually building a relationship with some of the people, they email if a date/price works than I up it on airbnb and they book. I find I mostly get people that are a couple hours from Toronto who are coming In for sporting event/show/concert because of my location. I rented it out for 70 plus fees to a couple in there 40s who are going to raptors game. They live in niagara area.

I've had no issues so far and rather like this as I would travel or crash at gfs place regardless this way helps make me some money. I'm 27, and prob make way way less than most here and this is a good supplement to my income.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

AirBnB is not just a matching agency, they actually complete the transaction for you. You pay them, and they pay the host. Hotels may have a formal check-in process in place, but regular people renting out rooms won't.

I don't think so, unless it's an actual hotel. Owner-operated guesthouses and B&B's are unlikely to check ID.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Swarez, do your condo rules allow you to rent by the night? I think not.
Does your condo insurance cover you if you are renting by the night? I think not.
Do you pay HST on each nights rental as you should be doing? I think not but perhaps you do.
Do you declare the income when you do your Income Tax Return? Again, perhaps.
Are you aware that renting out a parking spot in the city of Toronto without a license is illegal? I think not.
Have you asked your neighbours how they feel about you renting out your condo by the night? I think not.
Finally, do you understand the word 'ethical'. I think not.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:07 am

I'm traveling alone in Belgium, Austria and Italy. Are AirBnB safe? Where do I connect with other female travelers or seek their advice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.