Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2014 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread covers the 2014 Hotel Pet Peeves Poll, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine in conjunction with FlyerTalk.

The results of the poll have been published and are here: Hotel Pet Peeves: Guests Shut the Door on Wi-Fi, Outlet Shortages

After reading the results, take part in the discussion below and talk about your favorite peeves or add peeves that weren't touched upon.

Next year's poll will be created using input from the current year's discussion so please do contribute in the thread.
Print Wikipost

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2014 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
Well said, ^ I absolutely agree. I hate that I have to make the choice of "light or cell phone?" or "alarm clock or laptop?"
I now travel with a small power strip and a giant Mophie. The Mophie guarantees that my phone won't run out of juice before the alarm goes off in the event of a power issue.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
The Mophie guarantees that my phone won't run out of juice before the alarm goes off in the event of a power issue.
Just don't tell the office about that...or else you lose your excuse for 'oversleeping' when you were supposed to show up.

Noise is my complaint this week. Sitting in my room, with the TV on and the AC on max, I can hear my neighbors TV, every door in the hall slamming, and echos from the pool.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:06 pm

Poor lighting in the bathroom. Most hotels have moved to more female friendly features. But, I swear they trying to make the lighting as bad as possible!

I don't put up with fixed shower heads at home (U.S.) and would really like to more easily rinse my privates while in a hotel! No way I'm sitting in the tub to do it! But, if the hotel insists on sticking with fixed heads, they need to have nice, strong water pressure!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Aside from basic issues such as cleanliness and security that should go without question, lack of outlets near the bed and desk(!) is my top hotel peeve. It's not just that "It's 2014"; it's that hotels have had 15 years to realize that "It's 1999"! Since the late 90s it's been commonplace for business travelers to carry electronic devices that need charging. Over the last 10 years this trend has spread to leisure travelers. Nowadays Dad, Mom, and all the kids have their own portable electronics, all of which need charging. It's absurd for any hotel built or renovated within the past 10 years not to have ample electrical outlets.
yes--as a cpap user I have often had to borrow a 25 foot extension cord--its crazy!!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by 5khours
Shampoo bottles in the shower that are so tightly closed you can't open them with wet hands.
That's why I bring my own
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Water Pressure
Thin towels
Thin walls
Slow elevators
Cheap thermostats
Dirty room carpet, stained
Toilet Paper
Cig butts Balcony
No HD Tv
Channel selection
Slow remote control when changing channels
Auto volume when turning Tv on

Just pet peeves as I am loyal Marriott LP and 200 night a year guy so I keep coming back for pain.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, national executive elite,
-The lack of outlets near bed!
-The phone call after I lay down to take a nap that wants to know if everything is ok!
- housekeeping knocking on door when you have a late checkout and do not disturb sign!
-slow wifi!
- Limit to one device on wifi!
- slow remote!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
More Pet Peeves

This week at the Courtyard:

- Why do you claim you care about the environment when I carefully hang my bath towel for re-use in the morning, as per your instructions, and see fresh towels in the evening?
- The air conditioning does not work. At 11pm at night, after I have changed and ready for bed, I absolutely hate dressing up again and calling maintenance to come fiddle around in my room.
- Power outlets
- TVs so dim I have to turn out all lights to watch it. And of course there is no way to turn the brightness up.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Premier Executive
Hey Folks,

Some of you may have come up with some ideas and actual inventions for dealing with your hotel pet peeves. I'm a Quirky customer, and they're accepting ideas for new inventions:

https://www.quirky.com/challenges/hotel-solutions

The product doesn't even necessarily be something for the traveling consumer to purchase. It can be something that the hotels buy to help us. Now wouldn't that be something?

Louie
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:38 pm

I echo the outlets beside the bed. And, usually the ones that are there are made as part of a lamp and a standard MacBook, and often, iPhone, charger is much too large for the space provided.

In addition, I hate thin walls, when the housekeeping doesn't follow the "Do Not Disturb" sign, and when hotel bathrooms provide soap, but no soap dish, making the soap turn into a questionable mushy substance.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:25 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kdlynn06
I echo the outlets beside the bed. And, usually the ones that are there are made as part of a lamp and a standard MacBook, and often, iPhone, charger is much too large for the space provided.

In addition, I hate thin walls, when the housekeeping doesn't follow the "Do Not Disturb" sign, and when hotel bathrooms provide soap, but no soap dish, making the soap turn into a questionable mushy substance.
I've been wandering about central southern China until recently, and could write a tome about issues with Chinese-brand hotels. Some issues that often came to mind are:

-Check-in/out are always miserable. It's the same in any country where no one cares about queuing up...if the agent/front desk person/representative continues to serve the people who cut in line, this habit will never change. On a wider scale, I noticed that some train stations have gates where it's much more difficult to charge ahead, but those gates have to be in working order too!

-Then, there's the "foreigner" curiosity. In some of the neighborhoods in some of the cities I've visited, foreign passports are a rare breed. Since I know some Chinese, pretty much after every time I get my key card, another (Chinese) guest walks up to the front and asks what my room number is. Naturally, the info is shared. It's not that my belongings are in danger - it's more that, my door then becomes a hub of loud conversation and cigarette smoke.

-Shower doors that drain into the rest of the bathroom. Why the shower isn't completely sealed off from the tiled floor is beyond me.

-Shared a/c units. When I remember to, I try to check that the room has its own a/c. The ones that have central a/c and heating will inevitably reek of cigarettes.

-The walls and doors are thin; the bed is harder than diamond. But, the latter I'm used to these days.

-Power points that can't stand being attached to wires and screws. In other words, they are useless.

One hotel I stayed at in Hengyang, Hunan province had this get-up: the light switch for the room also controlled the power to the sole outlet in the room. So much for charging overnight. Then again, there are cheap portable chargers that everyone on the high-speed rail carried...
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum
Lack of proper lighting. Seriously, why are all the lightbulb about 1W?
I've actually taken to carrying around a high wattage bulb and screwing it in so that I don't have to stumble around the dimly lit rooms.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:38 pm

Towel to hold door open

Originally Posted by jcwoman
I have one I just thought of, but not sure how to describe the problem well. When I travel alone I prefer to do room service than get a single table in a restaurant. I hate room service trays that weigh 15 pounds and are so wide it's hard to hold in one hand while I open my door to put it out in the hall. The problem is compounded by rooms where there's no place to set it near the door so I have to hold it while I open the door. Compounded again by doors that are so tightly sprung that it almost shoves me out as I put the tray down in the hallway.

I'm always tempted to just leave the tray in the room but I don't know if that would be disrespectful to housekeeping the next morning.

I have the same problem - trying to put a huge room service tray outside, while holding the door open. I've found that if I open the door all the way and put an unfolded towel down on the floor right next to the door, the towel will hold the door open so I can get the tray out to the hallway. Most hotels put extra towels in the room, so you won't have to use your bath towel as a door stop.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Istria
I have the same problem - trying to put a huge room service tray outside, while holding the door open. I've found that if I open the door all the way and put an unfolded towel down on the floor right next to the door, the towel will hold the door open so I can get the tray out to the hallway. Most hotels put extra towels in the room, so you won't have to use your bath towel as a door stop.
Why not just use the door bar to prevent it from closing all the way? Or put a key in your pocket and not worry about the door shutting?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:54 pm

you know what really grinds my gears?...

ditto the most common complaints of the others; water pressure, lighting, outlets, noise, smells, sheets, internet, etc.

Some of my suggestions would be:
-Get rid of the duvets, they're too hot! would rather have multiple blankets.
-Extra blankets in the room in winter would be awesome so that at midnight I don't have to call down for one.
-Program the TV's so that they don't turn on with full volume (thank-you St. Julien, Boulder Co).
-Program the TV's so that the on-screen channel info matches the actual channel.
-Ditch the satellite service in favor of real cable when it's available.
-A/C units with fan constant on option for white noise to help mitigate the screaming girl's soccer team down the hall and not keep me up at night cycling on and off.
-A/C units with adjustable directional air outlets.
-A hook by the door for hanging my garment bag on while I'm getting my other stuff ready to leave with.
-Alarm clocks we can actually program ourselves.
-Heat lamps on timers in the bathrooms.
-Vent fans that actually do something other than loudly groan at 1200 rpm.
-Electrical receptacles that aren't falling out of the wall.
-Drains that drain.
-Toiletries that don't fall all over the sink the second you look at them.
BTW, do all you people actually use the cheap stuff they call shampoo etc? Why not just bring your own?
-Night light in the bathroom or just outside it please.
-Desk chairs that adjust for height and stay there.
-Windows that open, even if just a little bit.
-Pools big enough to actually take laps in.
-Hotels that are located other than right above the Interstate highway system.
-How about a decent selection of quality teas in the lobby or breakfast area for those of us who don't care for coffee? (It's why I like the Courtyards with the in-house Starbucks locations)
-While I'm at it how about putting hot water in an urn that has not been previously used for coffee?

Last edited by deckm00; Aug 30, 2014 at 7:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.