Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is there a benefit to using a travel agent anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:00 am
Original Poster

This issue has probably been discussed here but I haven't been able to find a dedicated thread about it in searching the forums.

We have always used a travel agent to book our travel and lodging but we're starting to wonder if it makes any sense anymore. Our TA doesn't seem to be able to help us out as far as getting flight upgrades. And we have not been impressed with the so-called hotel upgrades Virtuoso brags about and more than once we've ended up in a situation where our travel agent books the hotel and my husband ends up having to negotiate a better room deal on his own after we arrive and find a substandard arrangement.

I'm from the age of the dinosaurs and have never booked a hotel on kayak or the other sites - I have this fear that whatever savings might be found there will result in finding we've been booked into the broom closet rather than the luxury room we like to stay in. Am I wrong about this?

A case in point: I'm currently trying to arrange a trip to Italy. My TA doesn't seem to be able to work any magic around rates at the luxury hotels there other than promising something from Virtuoso that probably will not materialize. I'm equally unimpressed with the Amex's Fine Hotels and Resorts options. Am I better off just to book directly with Portrait Suites or something of that ilk and do it on my own?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:52 am

The only time I use a TA is when I can't book a particular set of flights (typically because I want specific flights on multiple airlines) on an airlines website. If I can book a flight myself directly with the airline I do. I think, by in large, that TAs are irrelevant for leisure travel. My employer only keeps a contract in place with a TA because it's more convenient to be direct billed with a monthly bill than trying to reimburse staff each time they book a flight.

Although I may be influenced by the fact I've yet to meet a TA who can do something that I can't do myself.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My only recent TA experiences have been with corporate travel, and the one benefit I've seen is that they will actually proactively contact you when flights go bad to make other arrangements. The down side is that they mess up my frequent flyer details on my reservation EVERY TIME, and it can take me hours to get it all untangled to be sure that I get the miles in my account, that I get my premium seat I'm entitled to, and to be sure it is actually linked to my account so I can get pre-check, etc.

They also tend to go by rote and not listen. A recent experience "I need a flight that leaves after 2:00pm since I have meetings in the morning, there is a flight on UA at 2:15 and a flight on AA at 2:30, both are the same price, either is OK and here are my 2 frequent flier numbers. The response back is a booking on Delta, at Noon, and costing more money. Hopeless.

For hotels, I've mostly given up on the various web booking sites, and just go directly to the hotel sites and book there. They increasingly have the same pricing, and very often will have additional room categories and promotions that don't show on the other sites. I'm also able to add a note like (at the FRA HGI) "high floor, outside room, facing away from the airport, please" and these requests are almost always accommodated. I may do a little sniffing around on various sites - I like Kayak and Travelaxe - just to see who seems to have the best pricing, but then make the actual reservation directly with the hotel.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: PLA/AA - SLV/DL - GLD/HHONORS
For personal flights I do it myself. I just find it easier.

For work, we use a travel agent. I could never do all of the flights myself with the workload I carry. I am responsible for securing flights for upwards of 30 people coming from different locations at one time. Our TA does give us the options before booking and then I can make changes based on what we need before booking.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
My only recent TA experiences have been with corporate travel, and the one benefit I've seen is that they will actually proactively contact you when flights go bad to make other arrangements. The down side is that they mess up my frequent flyer details on my reservation EVERY TIME, and it can take me hours to get it all untangled to be sure that I get the miles in my account, that I get my premium seat I'm entitled to, and to be sure it is actually linked to my account so I can get pre-check, etc.

They also tend to go by rote and not listen. A recent experience "I need a flight that leaves after 2:00pm since I have meetings in the morning, there is a flight on UA at 2:15 and a flight on AA at 2:30, both are the same price, either is OK and here are my 2 frequent flier numbers. The response back is a booking on Delta, at Noon, and costing more money. Hopeless.

For hotels, I've mostly given up on the various web booking sites, and just go directly to the hotel sites and book there. They increasingly have the same pricing, and very often will have additional room categories and promotions that don't show on the other sites. I'm also able to add a note like (at the FRA HGI) "high floor, outside room, facing away from the airport, please" and these requests are almost always accommodated. I may do a little sniffing around on various sites - I like Kayak and Travelaxe - just to see who seems to have the best pricing, but then make the actual reservation directly with the hotel.
I have had this issue with our company travel agent as well, so now I just give her the specific flights to book. It's less stressful and easier.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I've very occasionally had good experiences with TAs finding me flight itineraries or prices I can't on my own, but these have been the exception to the rule. For the most part, my experience is consistent with that of milepig and Emma. I've found that at best TAs generally only do what I can do on my own or at worst screw up reservations, seat assignments and/or frequent flyer numbers.

I guess for those folks who have absolutely no time and/or absolutely no idea what they're doing, a TA can come in handy. But for those like the OP, who seems to have a sense of what she's looking for, better to do it on your own.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Corporately we work with a TA. The greatest benefit is time savings. I can tell my TA approximately when I want to travel and where I'm going and she does all the leg work of figuring out flights, etc. They track my hotel preferences, rental car preferences as well and so when I get my itinerary back, everything is set up without the hassle of doing it myself. And, personally, if it were just 1 trip a week or a month, I would handle it myself but I'm often on complicated schedules that have me in 3-5 different cities a week and it's just easier to farm that out to someone else and allow me to focus on what needs to get done.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
In addition to services mentioned above, travel agents sometimes can also secure better seat assignments, especially if you don't have status, get fees (exchange, baggage) waived, open up seats on sold out flights, open up award seats open up lost etickets because flights weren't cancelled before flight time, or get advance purchase requirements waived.

In addition, travel agents provide services that some people either don't like to do themselves or don't have time to do. It's obviously a matter of personal preference. We all pay for some services that we could do ourselves but choose to use our financial resources to unburden ourselves of unwanted tasks. For example, doing your taxes. Unless you are quite wealthy or own a complex business, you could probably do your own taxes. But many people simply prefer to pay someone else to do it for them.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:55 pm

I know Some travel agents (fare consolidators) seem to be able to book deeply discounted fares that are not available on OTAs. My knowledge on this is very limited. Can someone shed more light?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For business, our corporate TA is great and also has 24/7 backup which, among other things, proactively monitors and handles reroutes when a misconnect is likely. I have found the TA good at securing overbooking when I need a flight and in locating hotel rooms when there are none.

On the misconnect situation, I'm not stuck in line. I have an email & voicemail when I land with the details of what's next. Sometimes it's just a text message such as "run to Gate 15". If there is an overnight, there is a reservation for me along with directions, so I'm not stuck waiting behind 180 people.

For leisure, I do my own except for complex vacations where I use a TA who has experience with the specific type of trip and who comes recommended by friends I trust. It's more than worth the fee to have someone who has a relationship.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Youre asking the wrong crowd. 90%+ people here fly mainly for work, and their arrangements are done with that purpose in mind.

I havent had a reason to use a TA for leisure travel since the last time I used my Encarta CD encyclopedia..... They are pretty much useless in the age of the internet. I've never met one that has been able to do better than I can do myself, or with others' advice. Especially when you add commission into the mix, the TA may not always have your best interest in mind.

Yes you are wrong about the broom closet. Not only can you find better deals money wise yourself, but also better deals quality wise.

Give it 10 years, and travel agents will become obsolete, apart from special niche markets.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Working with a TA can have many benefits-usually for international travel, they are well worth the time, etc. They can often provide pricing that you can't find elsewhere and if you're ever in trouble on your trip, they can come in handy.

MOST won't charge you a fee either-if they know what they're doing-they will be making their money elsewhere (not from fees from you).
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by thesatishk
I know Some travel agents (fare consolidators) seem to be able to book deeply discounted fares that are not available on OTAs. My knowledge on this is very limited. Can someone shed more light?
Many Travel Agencies DO in fact have discounted fares that your run of the mill OTA won't have access to-because they specialize in international travel.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:14 pm

I've found TAs handy for deals on airfare and expediting paperwork in instances where I was arranging travel to/from/within non-European countries, provided the TA specialized in that specific country of interest.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
The other place where travel agents shine is where they have unique expertise. A TA which puts together packages related to a sporting event or because the have a deep knowledge of the country you are visiting (usually paired with an agent in the country) can come up with things you would never come up with on the internet.

That said, there are things that I have done because of the internet including Flyertalk which I would never have done if I relied solely on TAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.