Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Been to Guyana Recently?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Am contemplating a trip to Guyana in January and wondered if anyone on FT has been there since the last Guyana thread in 2007? Heard rumors of a Marriott Hotel going up in Georgetown. Don't know if it's operational yet. Appears only Air Caribbean flies there direct from JFK. Would appreciate any current/recent information.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA, SPG

I was there a couple years back and had a great time in country. A little on the sketch side, but far more interesting than most places. Lots of neat guest houses in Georgetown if the full service hotels are not an option.

Word of caution around Caribbean Air (BW). I was scheduled on a direct from JFK to GEO and arrived 55 minutes before takeoff. Despite not having checked bags I was denied a boarding pass since I missed their 60 minute window and had to pay a change fee to take a flight connecting through Trinidad. Seemed a little unnecessary since it was a light travel day and the flight ended up being delayed 90 minutes, but prolly worth showing up early or rocking the mobile board pass if that is an option.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 9:57 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread as it moves to the South America forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: Nada!
I was there last year and am probably going back in a couple of weeks. We like to stay at the Pegasus. It just got renovated and has some charm. Bar is okay. I have not heard of a Marriott there. Delta does not fly there anymore either. You can connect through POS from Miami or through Barbados but it is hard to get to. I'm researching flights now. I can find out about the Marriott for sure and let you know. We have customers there.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Marriott opens up in about a year, still under construction

Several days a week Caribbean Airlines flies non-stop from JFK, albeit departure time shortly after midnight. Just show up 1.5 hours or earlier prior to flight and you will have a great flight. Much better than any American carrier product, reason why Delta was run out of town (GEO)

Worldspan
Naples, Fla
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Travelled there a few years ago, so no recent experience. Just wanted to share the airport experience when we flew back to Suriname. After checking in we went outside the airport to the small shacks/bars, sitting drinking until security came and picked us up for boarding. Great lounge
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:55 pm

What exactly does one do in Guyana?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by jrussell
What exactly does one do in Guyana?
Everyone speaks english at least. And do some cool jungle trips, incl Kaieteur falls.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
I was there last July, and wrote a pretty complete trip report. You should be able to find the link under my current trip report in that forum.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: Nada!
I was there last year and the Marriott was up and running. It's pretty nice. I stayed at the Pegasus and walked over for a drink. Guyana may become a lot more popular since they have discovered oil. Exxon is installing a FPSO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.