Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

asked to present originally booking credit card at check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G

Does this happen to you often?

I was asked by TG nicely, and TK not so nicely, for recent trips. I didn't bring it - not a problem in the end, but was an annoyance
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)

a few times with airlines abroad mostly (and trains booked online too)
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: United, Cathay, Delta, Priority Pass (gold), SPG

Been asked many times. Usually reminded several times during the online booking process to carry it
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
TG is pretty strict on this. Several stories on their forum of folks having to buy tickets on the spot if they didn't have the card.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA,DL,WN
Originally Posted by deniah
Does this happen to you often?

I was asked by TG nicely, and TK not so nicely, for recent trips. I didn't bring it - not a problem in the end, but was an annoyance
If you didn't bring it, then how was it not a problem in the end? Personally I've never been asked. It's a stupid rule anyway.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:53 pm

How does this work if you go through a travel agent?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:07 pm

TK asked me. I stupidly didn't have it. But here's the weird thing, they sent me to customer service who asked me if there was someone who could get it and give me the numbers. I was like, "You just need the numbers? Are you ready?" I just rattled them off for her and she was quite happy. *shrug*
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by iruvmattree
How does this work if you go through a travel agent?
They don't ask when you book through TA (online or offline).
It's when booked online through airlines own website that requires the CC.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Always have it; I don't have that many cards and I carry them all. Never been asked.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
I was curious about this when I flew EVA. The station manager confined to me that there is identity fraud involved with the purchase in air tickets and they lost hundreds of thousands of dollars over the past few years. This is one way to cut back on that possibility.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by blackdawn2
It's a stupid rule anyway.
Apparently not.

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
The station manager confined to me that there is identity fraud involved with the purchase in air tickets and they lost hundreds of thousands of dollars over the past few years. This is one way to cut back on that possibility.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
I was curious about this when I flew EVA. The station manager confined to me that there is identity fraud involved with the purchase in air tickets and they lost hundreds of thousands of dollars over the past few years. This is one way to cut back on that possibility.
My Amex number was stolen and used to buy MANY airline tickets in the 30 some minutes it took for AMEX to contact my husband and ask him if I was charging tickets for multiple travels back and forth between Europe and Africa. There was also multiple hotel charges and one of the people using my number was actually caught in Zurich.

To answer the original question, I have been asked for the credit card used to purchase the tickets at least twice.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:09 am

I have been buying tickets on Southwest, Expedia and Orbitz for many other people, and I have no idea how they could show my credit card during check in! So if you buy your own ticket, you may have to show credit card. But if you buy someone else a ticket, they don't have to. So what if you stole a credit card and buy a ticket? Well, my uncle bought me the ticket!
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Need
I have been buying tickets on Southwest, Expedia and Orbitz for many other people, and I have no idea how they could show my credit card during check in! So if you buy your own ticket, you may have to show credit card. But if you buy someone else a ticket, they don't have to. So what if you stole a credit card and buy a ticket? Well, my uncle bought me the ticket!
See post #8 above.

If purchased through a TA, the airline's money is safe as the TA pays the airline. If a stolen card had been used it's up to the TA to deal with it.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:29 pm
Suspended

What if you bought the ticket months earlier, then changed credit cards?

People do that. What does the airline do when that happens?

Similarly, what if a relative, or business associate, who is not traveling with you, bought the ticket for you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.