Sleeping in lounge etiquette?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping in lounge etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
There are places to sleep at IST, I didn't use them but saw that there were sleeping suites for use. However, probably not as many as needed based on the original comment. (I seem to recall that they were in the downstairs area of the Turkish lounge, but it's been at least 6 months since I've been there so can't say for sure)

However, the general point is true.. people do sleep everywhere and in every lounge I've been to. I don't have a problem with it unless they are covering up with a blanket and really "camping out."

I think most of us has dozed off at a certain point in a lounge, especially on a layover. Unfortunately IST is a huge place for layovers on long flights, so I would imagine that this airport and a few others around the world are particularly bad.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
There are places to sleep at IST, I didn't use them but saw that there were sleeping suites for use. However, probably not as many as needed based on the original comment. (I seem to recall that they were in the downstairs area of the Turkish lounge, but it's been at least 6 months since I've been there so can't say for sure)

However, the general point is true.. people do sleep everywhere and in every lounge I've been to. I don't have a problem with it unless they are covering up with a blanket and really "camping out."

I think most of us has dozed off at a certain point in a lounge, especially on a layover. Unfortunately IST is a huge place for layovers on long flights, so I would imagine that this airport and a few others around the world are particularly bad.
Suites in Istanbul are only for C and J pax on a 6+ hours flight. Not allow in other cases.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by frenchft
Suites in Istanbul are only for C and J pax on a 6+ hours flight. Not allow in other cases.
Ahhh ok this makes sense. Good info. I have since looked it up online and looks like there are only 6 suites anyhow. Time to get the pods.

Besides, the few times I've been at IST, it's insanely busy in spite of being huge. If they could slip a few passengers in pods, that would help with overcrowding. Could help quite a few other lounges too!!
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Try doing 3 redeyes in a row...
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Eight hours i(6am until 2pm) n middle of 28 hour journey -Emirates have loungers for sleeping in the lounges in Dubai so what is wrong with it?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I've had some very refreshing sleeps in lounges at FRA, LHR, MUC and VIE after arriving early in the morning on a TATL and facing a long layover before an evening flight to my final destination. No extra cost for a day room, I don't have to leave the secure zone or go through the customs and immigration process beyond what is required for in-transit passengers.

Find the quiet room in the lounge, locate a comfortable reclining chair, don eyeshades and earplugs, put the smart phone in a shirt pocket with the alarm set to vibrate and nighty-night.

If the FT Etiquette Police deem my behavior a gross violation of appropriate social standards they may address their complaints to the front desk. Otherwise they should suck it up and let me sleep in peace.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: *G
better sleeping than yapping out loud, whether on the phone or to one's friend, or playing noise out ones laptop/smartphone (seriously?!?!?!)
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:12 am

Look for a Herman Miller Eames chair in H/K lounge. That way you look pleasant while sleeping.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I've had some very refreshing sleeps in lounges at FRA, LHR, MUC and VIE after arriving early in the morning on a TATL and facing a long layover before an evening flight to my final destination. No extra cost for a day room, I don't have to leave the secure zone or go through the customs and immigration process beyond what is required for in-transit passengers.

Find the quiet room in the lounge, locate a comfortable reclining chair, don eyeshades and earplugs, put the smart phone in a shirt pocket with the alarm set to vibrate and nighty-night.

If the FT Etiquette Police deem my behavior a gross violation of appropriate social standards they may address their complaints to the front desk. Otherwise they should suck it up and let me sleep in peace.
agree with you, 100%. But we where talking about the camping kind of guys (shoesless / duvet / pillow style), you see?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by frenchft
agree with you, 100%. But we where talking about the camping kind of guys (shoesless / duvet / pillow style), you see?
It still doesn't change my view. I take my shoes off and while I don't travel with a pillow and duvet I'd use them if they were available. My sleeping routine in a lounge might seem like "camping" to you however I do not plan to change unless told otherwise by the people running the lounge.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:06 pm

Sleeping Recliners in NRT, FRA

The smaller ANA lounge in terminal 2 at NRT has about 6 dedicated recliners in cubicles for this purpose. They also have massage chairs just outside the shower area.

The LH Senator lounge in FRA also has some chairs that are more like permanent loungers, but they are in the open so noise/light blocking are needed to get sleep.

One note here on etiquette in the LH lounge in FRA; someone had set an alarm on their iPhone and it went off without them being present. Maybe they went to the shower, whatever but the alarm bugged many of us until one person got up and simply shut it off. Yes, please do not set audible alarms, and if you're going to leave your sleep spot take all your belongings too--taking up precious sleeping areas when you're not using them is absolutely rude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.