Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: To Mr. L - Seated in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Why is it parents believe their own children are absolute angels and see nothing wrong with inflicting them on the rest of the world?

Kudos to Mr. L. He didn't want to be seated beside someone else's offspring and did something about it to his satisfaction. Good for him.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
And thes passive aggressive parents are the worst at controlling their kids because they don't like any kind of confrontation.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
First of all, what a beautiful child! Tattoos aside, she is more than welcome to sit next to me on any flight. Too bad she and mom had to be sat next to Grumpy Gus.

I find that the problem in these situations is never the children. It is uniformly the adults: the ones who grouse and complain about children next to them as if it's something infectious but as well the ones who see an airplane as free babysitting.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:13 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

There are always two sides to a story. Wish 1K could post here so we can hear him out.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:17 pm

Interesting thread and another example of why so much of the time flying is a less than pleasant experience. - it seems these days everyone has the attitude that their wants should take precedence over everyone else's - which obviously leads to situations such as this. IMO both sides behaved poorly. First off, at that age, the child should have their own seat and I'm very surprised the airline allowed the child to sit on her mother's lap. The correct response, in her case, would have been to politely decline the upgrade unless both she and her child would have a seat and thus minimizing the inconvenience to the other passengers including the man seated next to her. In his case, he should have spoken quietly with the FA (although who knows, maybe he did) and requested a seat change instead of venting about the issue publicly. Neither party behaved well in this scenario including the OP.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kinkora
Interesting thread and another example of why so much of the time flying is a less than pleasant experience. - it seems these days everyone has the attitude that their wants should take precedence over everyone else's - which obviously leads to situations such as this. IMO both sides behaved poorly. First off, at that age, the child should have their own seat and I'm very surprised the airline allowed the child to sit on her mother's lap. The correct response, in her case, would have been to politely decline the upgrade unless both she and her child would have a seat and thus minimizing the inconvenience to the other passengers including the man seated next to her. In his case, he should have spoken quietly with the FA (although who knows, maybe he did) and requested a seat change instead of venting about the issue publicly. Neither party behaved well in this scenario including the OP.
Please don't bring common courtesy, mutual respect, and rational behavior into this discussion. There is clearly no place for it here.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: Delta, United

I agree with most of the above and will add this comment - I really find it amusing when someone comes to FT, complains about something that happened whilst flying yet made no effort to confront the other party or fix the problem.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
If only there were child-free airlines so these kind of confrontations don't have to happen.

And no, that doesn't mean I agree with the jerk from the OP. He didn't have the right to demand that your wife and child move.

I just prefer not to be around children (that's why I don't have any myself), especially in an enclosed environment where I don't have the option to move or leave.
If you find yourself upgraded to a seat next to a child, you're free to move to another seat. I'm sure there are plenty of people in coach who wouldn't mind sitting next to a kid in F, while you enjoy a childless economy experience.

Agree with most of what you wrote, other than the fact that all US airlines that I know of allow lap children up to age 2, so it should be no surprise that the airline would allow the child to sit on the mother's lap. She merely took advantage of the benefits afforded to her. Whether you think having an older lap child is inappropriate is a matter completely separate from the airline allowing the practice.

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I agree with most of the above and will add this comment - I really find it amusing when someone comes to FT, complains about something that happened whilst flying yet made no effort to confront the other party or fix the problem.
Except that the OP wasn't traveling on that flight - his wife and child were. He had no opportunity " to confront the other party or fix the problem."
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM, AMEX Plat, Hertz 1, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Why is it parents believe their own children are absolute angels and see nothing wrong with inflicting them on the rest of the world?

Kudos to Mr. L. He didn't want to be seated beside someone else's offspring and did something about it to his satisfaction. Good for him.
Originally Posted by steve4031
And thes passive aggressive parents are the worst at controlling their kids because they don't like any kind of confrontation.
Let's put your money where your mouth is. We're travelling in F on 9/23, three of us.. Let me know if you have a negative experience on my flight with my child. Let's take a vote in the cabin.. if I win - you pay for our three flights and give me the credit I'm due for managing the needs of my child and providing the respect of the passengers around us.. AND you admit you were wrong. If you win - I'll pay for the flight and give you all these useless UA drink coupons I have so you can use them next time you are seated next to a child. I will win this bet - 100% sure of it.

And as far as Mr. L. - he never even gave them the opportunity. This is why it's offensive and out of line.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Except that the OP wasn't traveling on that flight - his wife and child were. He had no opportunity " to confront the other party or fix the problem."
Oh.. Believe me... Had I been on that flight, and 1K started that crap sitting next to me - he most likely would have been removed. All I would have had to do was just hint that 1K had threatened under his breath to slap my child if she caused a scene - and I'm sure action would have been taken. I'm a multi year 1K, GS and I'm sure that counts for something. The way my wife reported he was behaving, I'm sure that the staff would have believed me.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by WBrinegar
Oh.. Believe me... Had I been on that flight, and 1K started that crap sitting next to me - he most likely would have been removed. All I would have had to do was just hint that 1K had threatened under his breath to slap my child if she caused a scene - and I'm sure action would have been taken. I'm a multi year 1K, GS and I'm sure that counts for something. The way my wife reported he was behaving, I'm sure that the staff would have believed me.
Did he do that?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM, AMEX Plat, Hertz 1, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Did he do that?
No.. Just sayin'.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. Just wow.

I'm sorry. You've lost all credibility with this. Someone is rude to your family so you falsely accuse him of a crime? Really?

I no longer believe your version of what happened and I sincerely hope I never encounter your family on a flight. I think it's very clear what kind of passengers you are and would be. I also hope that, if you ever try this kind of a stupid, immature stunt, the subject of your incredibly damaging defamation sues you for everything you're worth. Hell, I'd handle his case pro bono.

Unbelievable.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
people need to follow the advice of this girl
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
No.. Just sayin'.
Your wife behaved with far more dignity than most people would have given the situation. 1K behaved appallingly, beyond oafishness. I'll leave it at that given that I don't wish to be subject to moderator action should I express my opinion of your comment.

(Edit - I see that someone else beat me to it).

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Sep 4, 2013 at 8:46 pm Reason: Wow. Just wow.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by PTravel
Understood, thank you.

I agree with squeakr -- though 1K was incredibly, inexcusably and unacceptably rude, I would, too, have asked, discretely, to have been re-seated. Even in F, as I've learned from experience, the likelihood of encroachment by a lap-toddler is simply too high. Your daughter looks very sweet, and I understand that a number of posters would enjoy the opportunity to interact with her. I probably would under other circumstances, but when I fly I only want to be left alone with my Bose, my iPad and my drink.
Except - it sounds like 1K did NOT ask to be re-seated. He demanded that the mom and kid be moved. And he got his way, which is the part I find offensive.

I have no problem with anyone here who has expressed an aversion to being seated next to a young child. I have a serious problem with how 1K behaved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.