Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who's got the best "backyard" of island paradises?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:25 pm
O62
Original Poster

I was looking for travel destinations and lamented the South Pacific is so far from me. But, then I realized we are so lucky in the US to have the many islands of the Caribbean right in our backyard. So, it got me wondering, which continent has it best?

As far as I see it, there are roughly four zones of highly developed nations with significant travelling populations, each of which have great island getaways pretty close by.

1. North America (the Caribbean)
2. Europe (the Med + Azores, Madeira, Canaries)
3. NZ/Australia (Oceania)
4. China/Taiwan/Japan/Benevolent Korea (Southeast Asia and tow + some Oceania)

So who's got it the best in terms of proximity to sunny getaways? Where would you love to be close to? I'll let you choose your criteria of "best" whether it is variety, your special place, highly developed, highly undeveloped, w/e.

For me, I've always loved Oceania so being in NZ/Australia would be great. There is something about the many different islands that can be so small and so far away from each other to really make them feel like you are away from the world. The Caribbean, though great, just seems so very influenced and very close to the U.S. Maybe this is a case of the grass is greener...

[Also, given this is FT, you all probably want to be as far as possible from your favorite destinations to rack of miles]

Last edited by O62; Aug 6, 2013 at 8:12 am
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:18 am

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
do you gauge proximity by distance, travel time, or cost of getting there?

With the deep discounting that frequently goes on, getting to Hawaii can be cheaper from SYD than it is to get other places within the country
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:16 pm

We are pretty lucky to have the caribbean. I live in south Georgia so its even cheaper for me. Usually rt tickets for about 200-250.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:12 pm

From the title I thought you were asking about the backyards of individual people. I knew someone once who lived in a small house on the Big Island of Hawaii, on the south facing slope of the volcano. Her unfenced back yard had a 180 degree view of the ocean and all of the South Point plain below her. It was jaw-dropping, and I imagine her property was valued something like this: house - $100K, property - $10,000,000.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I think it also depends a lot on whether "island" means "palm trees and clownfish" - In your context I guess it does.

I'm currently on holiday on Vancouver Island. To get here, I took a two-hour car ferry from greater Vancouver to the Island, then drove up-island for 90 minutes. There are lots of scenic islands in the Pacific Northwest.

Here's the view from the front deck on my cottage - I'm in shorts and a T-shirt. No palm trees though:

Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by JoseVerde
I was looking for travel destinations and lamented the South Pacific is so far from me. But, then I realized we are so lucky in the US to have the many islands of the Caribbean right in our backyard. So, it got me wondering, which continent has it best?

As far as I see it, there are roughly four zones of highly developed nations with significant travelling populations, each of which have great island getaways pretty close by.

1. North America (the Caribbean)
2. Europe (the Med + Azores, Madeira, Canaries)
3. NZ/Australia (Oceania)
4. China/Taiwan/Japan/Benevolent Korea (Southeast Asia and tow + some Oceania)

So who's got it the best in terms of proximity to sunny getaways? Where would you love to be close to? I'll let you choose your criteria of "best" whether it is variety, your special place, highly developed, highly undeveloped, w/e.

For me, I've always loved Oceania so being in NZ/Australia would be great. There is something about the many different islands that can be so small and so far away from each other to really make them feel like you are away from the world. The Caribbean, though great, just seems so very influenced and very close to the U.S. Maybe this is a case of the grass is greener...

[Also, given this is FT, you all probably want to be as far as possible from your favorite destinations to rack of miles]
Australia/NZ and Southeast Asia as they have it in their front yards.

The Whitsundays, Hamilton Island, Pulau Tioman and Halong Bay.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Scotland of course. We got Inner AND Outer Hebrides.
Palm trees too, check these on Isle of Gigha:
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mandolino
^

...and Scotch.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

obviously asia, which can do pacific too
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Paradise 1
Paradise 2
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:40 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
What about Africa with Mauritius, Maldives, Seychelles off the East Coast and Azores, Canaries to the West?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mandolino
Palm trees too, check these on Isle of Gigha:
Mmm, gotta love those grey skies, nondescript farm buildings and muddy roads.
Book me a flight straight away !
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:56 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
What about Africa with Mauritius, Maldives, Seychelles off the East Coast and Azores, Canaries to the West?
Nice islands but not so easy/convenient to get to.

The UK in general has some nice islands, aprt from the Scottish ones there's also the Scillies, Isle of White, Isle of Man and a lot of others. Not tropical admittedly but plenty of interesting history and wildlife.

Going by the OP's criteria I think Europe might be best because of the variety of islands which are easily accessible and relatively unspoilt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.