Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two flights with same flight number cause nightmare at Swanwick ATC

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 3:06 pm
1P
Original Poster

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Two flights with same flight number cause nightmare at Swanwick ATC

Two Fedex flights, both numbered 522, materialized today about 30 miles apart on their way from Cologne to Memphis. One of them was running exactly 24 hours late.

Needless to say, it caused a lot of confusion among the controllers, not to mention danger. Eventually they worked out what the problem was and renumbered one of the flights.

Anyone know if this sort of thing has happened before?
Old May 29, 2013, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1P
Two Fedex flights, both numbered 522, materialized today about 30 miles apart on their way from Cologne to Memphis. One of them was running exactly 24 hours late.

Needless to say, it caused a lot of confusion among the controllers, not to mention danger. Eventually they worked out what the problem was and renumbered one of the flights.

Happens more than you think, usually when a flight gets off schedule (like the above situation). An example of something that might be more typical would be when a flight from, let's say SFO-ORD-LHR (with a plane change at ORD) gets behind on the SFO-ORD leg, and the ORD-LHR (with the same flight number) takes off before the SFO-ORD lands. I don't know what every airline does, but UA tacks a 9 onto the front of the second flight - so in the example I use SFO-ORD would be xxx and ORD-LHR sould be 9xxx.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Never thought about something like this, but it makes sense...
Old May 29, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: Delta-Gold; HHonors-Gold; Hertz Five Star
I had a suspicion about this a few months ago. I was headed from DEN to MSP on DL and it was arriving a hour late. There was a large tour group connecting to CDG (AF codeshare I think). The MSP - CDG flight was the same flight number. They made a heroic announcement they were "holding the plane" for that group and they should deplane first. I figured they actually couldn't leave the gate until the flight sharing the same number landed. Maybe I'm just a cynic...
Old May 30, 2013, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by 1P
Yes, but usually Eurocontrol's CFMU will kick the flight plan back for the second one filed on the grounds that it is a duplicate flight number. This is usually fixed by adding on an extra alphanumeric character to the original flight number (eg. 522A, or 9522).

Standard practice is that airlines will not have the same flight number departing anytime during the same calendar day (measured in UTC / Zulu). This is what CFMU checks for when accepting a flight plan. It is only when the departure times are closely spaced but on either side of midnight Zulu that the computers may accept it and create a situation where both flights are in the same FIR simultaneously.

Also, just as an aside, the OPERATIONAL flight number (used for flight planning purposes) and the COMMERCIAL flight number (seen by the consumers) may or may not be the same. Many airlines use randomly generated operational flight numbers rather than the commercial flight number to avoid conflicts like this. So what a passenger knows as flight BA 123 may actually have an operational flight number like BAW 3X7G.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Well I couldn't find a FedEx flight 522, but there were two flight 5225 that day:
Contacted [UTC] Callsign Flight Routing Reg
2013/05/30 01:09 FDX5225 FDX5225 EDDK-KMEM N884FD
2013/05/29 19:45 FDX5225 FDX5225 EDDK-KMEM N884FD
2013/05/29 19:36 FDX5225 FDX5225 EDDK-KMEM N858FD
2013/05/28 02:42 FDX5225 FDX5225 EDDK-KMEM N862FD
(www.libhomeradar.org)
Old May 30, 2013, 9:16 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As noted, this has been an issue for some carriers for the last few years, as different segments of the same airline's flight number are assigned to different aircraft; and, due to delays, two aircraft using the same flight number, may be in the same en route center's (or tower's or TRACON's) airspace at the same time.

For example, United 262 may be a SFO->DEN flight; and United 262 may also be operated by a different airplane, DEN->PHL. If the first segment is late into DEN and the airline doesn't hold the second segment, there'll be a number conflict. The solution for some carriers at least in domestic airspace, is to add a letter after the flight number, so for example, 262Q and 262T, keeps them apart in the ATC computers.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
This actually happened to me years ago on my first every UA flight with Channel 9 turned on. The captain explained we would be United 925-Kilo in order to avoid confusion with another 925 which was going under 925-Quebec that day.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I thought things like COMPUTERS were supposed to sort that kind of thing out. Don't airlines file flight plans with flight numbers? Isn't there something in place to prevent 2 of the same flight numbers in the system at the same time? Seems like it would be a simple fix.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Cir, National Exec Elite
It's called a "Stubbed Flight"

Originally Posted by milepig
Happens more than you think, usually when a flight gets off schedule (like the above situation). An example of something that might be more typical would be when a flight from, let's say SFO-ORD-LHR (with a plane change at ORD) gets behind on the SFO-ORD leg, and the ORD-LHR (with the same flight number) takes off before the SFO-ORD lands. I don't know what every airline does, but UA tacks a 9 onto the front of the second flight - so in the example I use SFO-ORD would be xxx and ORD-LHR sould be 9xxx.
Actually, they refer to this as a "Stubbed Flight". Delta adds a 9 to the front of the flight number of the second flight. Other airlines have different numbering conventions. I have actually seen the words "Stubbed Flight" on the gate display. I have no idea where the expression "Stubbed" comes from. Does anyone know?
Old May 30, 2013, 7:20 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by icarusKiD
I had a suspicion about this a few months ago. I was headed from DEN to MSP on DL and it was arriving a hour late. There was a large tour group connecting to CDG (AF codeshare I think). The MSP - CDG flight was the same flight number. They made a heroic announcement they were "holding the plane" for that group and they should deplane first. I figured they actually couldn't leave the gate until the flight sharing the same number landed. Maybe I'm just a cynic...
Unfortunately airlines often don't hold the connecting flight in case of delays of the first flight under that flight number. That is the fallacy of "direct flights" with one flight number but a "change of gauge." Pretty deceptive if you ask me, but the US government allows it.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:46 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
When some years ago, my CX flight was delayed by nearly 24h, it was renumbered CX000D. (forgot the number)
Old May 31, 2013, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by D!
When some years ago, my CX flight was delayed by nearly 24h, it was renumbered CX000D. (forgot the number)
My worst situation, after a multiple day compound delay, was flights tagged as A, B, C, P and T in addition to the original flight. Sometimes it really hits the fan.
Old May 31, 2013, 2:57 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Usually when this happens they renumber the delayed flight, that;s what CO and UA always did. Not good, someone was not thinking.
Old May 31, 2013, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Similar situation!

http://airlinepilotchatter.blogspot....same-call.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.