Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Help Needed - Rescue Puppy Needs A Ride DFW(DAL) - DEN (not sure where to post this)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Needed - Rescue Puppy Needs A Ride DFW(DAL) - DEN (not sure where to post this)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold

Anyone flying DFW (DAL) to DEN?

Needed ... someone to fly a 9 week old rescue weimeraner "home" to it's breeder, still "under seat in cabin" sized. This is my puppy's litter mate, it went to a home that after a week decided they simply didn't want the dog.

I am not sure where to post this, so I posted it here ... Mods, please move if this is the wrong place.

If anyone can help, drop me a line at fish @ flyingwithfish.com or find me on Twitter at @flyingwithfish

Thanks
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond, SPG Platinum

Shouldn't the breeder or owner take responsibility for this? Their are websites that arrange for volunteers to transport rescue dogs from shelters. I can't remember the websites, but they should be easy to find on google. Good luck w this sad situation.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
The breeder is looking for help finding a flight home for the Puppy.

As the puppy in DFW is my puppy's litter mate, I am trying to see if I can speed this up by looking for volunteers. Those volunteer sites do what I am doing, ask people. The dog is not in a shelter, its in the home of the people who adopted it a week ago, flew home with it and decided the no longer want it.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:12 am

If it is a puppy they should quite easily be able to find a willing family to take the dog through a local shelter. Puppies are usually gone within a day.

I'd try and avoid returning it to the breeder - Flying it back is both stressful and likely the dog will be flown to a new family as well.

Also - and even more important:

It also sounds to me that this might not be a responsible breeder - the recommended age for the puppy to leave the litter/breeder is over 8-12 weeks - but older is better. In this case it seems like the puppy was flown our right at 8 weeks? Could this be the reason it isn't working out?

Last edited by erik123; Mar 5, 2013 at 8:17 am
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Generally, the organizations that aid in transporting animals from one area to another limit their help to homeless animals, coming from shelters, going into rescues via foster homes or those who have been adopted from rescues. They generally do not help breeders relocate dogs, as many aren't looking to help breeders. Rather, they would use an example like this, where either the family was not vetted by the breeder, or where the breeder is only looking to make money, and doesn't want to spend money to bring the puppy back, so they don't really care if the puppy ends up in a shelter, etc.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Erik,

The breeder gets the puppy back. That is standard in any contract with a pure bread dog for many reasons. The contract specifically says the dog does not go to a shelter and the breeder has the right to take the puppy back as the breeder co-owns the dog.

The family who took the dog has a 14 year old Weim as well s a Great Dane, they were vetted. Once they got the dog home they decided it was too much. I have a 9 week old from this litter, as well as a 10 year old weim and 2 year old Russian Wolf Hound, it is a challenge, but you have to know that going into it. The breeder made everyone fly to her in person and spend a day at her house with the puppies before taking them home, everyone who adopted from this litter had weims, except one who had German Shepards ... as well, Weims are almost always separated from their Mom and litter at 8 weeks, not 12 weeks. Do your home work and let's get back on topic here.

So ... now that we've discuss the irrelevant parts of this, I am simply trying to find someone flying from Dallas to Denver who can help out.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by erik123
If it is a puppy they should quite easily be able to find a willing family to take the dog through a local shelter. Puppies are usually gone within a day.

I'd try and avoid returning it to the breeder - Flying it back is both stressful and likely the dog will be flown to a new family as well.

Also - and even more important:

It also sounds to me that this might not be a responsible breeder - the recommended age for the puppy to leave the litter/breeder is over 8-12 weeks - but older is better. In this case it seems like the puppy was flown our right at 8 weeks? Could this be the reason it isn't working out?
I wouldn't want to send the dog to the shelter, but most rescues would probably willingly take the puppy, because they are usually easy to adopt out.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by sefrischling
So ... now that we've discuss the irrelevant parts of this, I am simply trying to find someone flying from Dallas to Denver who can help out.
So, saying that everyone was vetted, it's a responsible breeder, etc., why doesn't the breeder simply fly there and get the puppy?

Rather, a responsible breeder would trust a stranger to pick up the puppy in DFW, travel with it to DEN, and then deliver it to the breeder, or meet the breeder at the airport? What's to keep a stranger from wandering off with the puppy?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:28 am

Not sure if they'll help but it's worth a try: try contacting local greyhound adoption groups and see if they have a GUR planned that may work out for you. (GUR = greyhound underground railroad = volunteer transports to move retired racers from the tracks to adoption groups) They don't normally transport non-greyhounds, but I figure if they already have a GUR planned for your time period and origin/destinations and if they have room they may take the dog.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:14 am
Original Poster

This is a great reminder if why I stopped reading FlyerTalk went to MilePoint.

The puppy has a ride home on a shiny blue 737
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:50 pm

Glad it worked out. Your original post didn't explain the whole story and gave a different impression.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Erik,

I didn't want to get into it. Someone I know at SWA volunteered to pick up the dog and fly it home.

Having rescued a Weim before (she has since passed away) I hate when people say all the right things to adopt this hyper, neurotic and quirky pups because they are cute but aren't in it wholeheartedly when it gets rough. I love them but you have to know what you are I for. They are among the most "returned" dogs because they are adorable but a lot of work which is sad. The breeder did a lot of vetting to know the owners, would only sell to those who had them and one adopter just wasn't a good match for the home this puppy needed.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:57 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Great that this story has a happy ending.
There is really nothing more to add so I am closing the thread.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.