Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is the IAD-HNL flight the longest flight in the world without a meal in Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the IAD-HNL flight the longest flight in the world without a meal in Y?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rbw5t
Does anyone have any recent experience with the meal situation? We're in premium economy. It's a long way to go with 2 young kids with no meals. Are the purchase options decent? The flight leaves pretty early, so even with carrying on food from the airport, we're limited to breakfast. Thanks for any insight!
Originally Posted by porky
Not very recent but we flew EWR-HNL on UAL last year with two kids in premium economy. We had checked beforehand that there was food for purchase on-board. We bought some food from the meager selection on board but we had also stuffed our carry-ons with BYOF. On an 11 hour flight, I would at least expect to have an option to buy hot food and not just cheese and crackers. Most of the good stuff is sold out about half-way into the flight anyway.
I would expect that any Premium Economy product would have hot food offerings included in the fare.

That said, I'm completely ignorant as to what United is really doing with PE. AFAIK, they lag AA and DL in this area. (And those two are still pretty new at it.)

Hawaii seems like an odd choice for a first deployment of PE. Wouldn't they start with Europe or other higher-yielding biz routes first? (That's what AA is doing on the 787s.)
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I would expect that any Premium Economy product would have hot food offerings included in the fare.

That said, I'm completely ignorant as to what United is really doing with PE. AFAIK, they lag AA and DL in this area. (And those two are still pretty new at it.)

Hawaii seems like an odd choice for a first deployment of PE. Wouldn't they start with Europe or other higher-yielding biz routes first? (That's what AA is doing on the 787s.)
I don't think that UA even has a true premium economy yet. There's economy plus, but I think that only gets food on SFO-EWR flights. I flew this route recently and it was just food for purchase for E+.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
UA does NOT have premium economy. They have economy plus (aka E+) which is a regular economy seat with a few inches more leg room and that's all. Except for the LAX/SFO-EWR routes, there is no additional service for E+ over regular economy (E-).

Unless I am in a true premium cabin (first/business), I would always pack some food for a long flight "just in case" because you never know, and especially with youngsters. I have a friend who flew LAX-Hawaii a few years ago with 3 kids, she did not pack any snacks and the airline ran out of food for sale before they got to her section. It was a bad flight for them.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill
UA does NOT have premium economy. They have economy plus (aka E+) which is a regular economy seat with a few inches more leg room and that's all. Except for the LAX/SFO-EWR routes, there is no additional service for E+ over regular economy (E-).

Unless I am in a true premium cabin (first/business), I would always pack some food for a long flight "just in case" because you never know, and especially with youngsters. I have a friend who flew LAX-Hawaii a few years ago with 3 kids, she did not pack any snacks and the airline ran out of food for sale before they got to her section. It was a bad flight for them.
+1 to this. Even if there are snack boxes and such for sale, I've had too many experience where UA ran out of the hot options.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I though UA announced last year they were bringing back. Complementary meals. Both EWR-HNL and IAD-HNL do not show this. Yet a shorter flight to Europe leaving at 10PM serves dinner. When I took EWR-HNL 10 years ago got 2 free meals on this 11 hour flight.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Back to the thread title:

Isn't the longest flight worldwide with a meal in Y the new SIN-ATH flight on Scoot? Clocks in at 11h, about 45m longer than IAD-HNL
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Back to the thread title:

Isn't the longest flight worldwide with a meal in Y the new SIN-ATH flight on Scoot? Clocks in at 11h, about 45m longer than IAD-HNL
Or Norwegian from LGW-OAK or LAX - both timed for 11+ hours?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Or Norwegian from LGW-OAK or LAX - both timed for 11+ hours?
^ good catch! and I think you're right. Both are longer than 11 hours block time for sure
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Here's one to show contrast, from the story on EVA's final 747 flight

Flight attendants hurried about the jet as they worked to complete a meal service for all 370 passengers on the short, 1-hour, 17-minute flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.