Wiki Posts
Search

Horrible treatment by Canadian Customs/Immigration (CBSA) at YVR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I love the U.S. and the people but the gatekeepers are .........
... no different than Canadian agents.
Agree with other posters: NEXUS is the best $50 any traveler can spend.
A great way to avoid interaction with power tripping border agents on either side of the border.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

No they are generally [edited by Moderator] to returning Canadian citizens as well.
Yeah, what is that all aboot?

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 2, 2012 at 9:59 pm Reason: Conforming edit to original quote.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Yeah, what is that all aboot?
I think anyone who said aboot would be sent to secondary
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by CMK10
Mods, feel free to move this if it belongs in Travel Safety/Security or Canada.

So here's the background. I wanted to go to Alaska for my birthday and I've been wanting to fly Cathay Pacific for a long time. I decided to combine the two and booked a JFK-YVR flight on CX in First and then bought an Alaska ticket from YVR-SEA-ANC. When I arrived at YVR I explained this to the first agent I saw and he wrote some numbers on my customs declaration that indicated I was to be sent to secondary screening. Here is where the "fun" started.

Never in my life have I been made to feel more like a criminal. I have friends who have been arrested who were treated better. I explained what I was doing and showed my Alaska E-Ticket reservation to a female agent who promptly requested a supervisor. I was then told "empty your pockets and step away from the table". The two of them looked through all the pictures in my camera, then turned on my cell phone and proceeded to read through my emails and texts and scroll through the photos therein. Meanwhile, I was asked over and over again what drugs I took and what I'd been arrested for. The more I said "none and nothing", the more I said "I'm going to Alaska for fun" the more condescending and accusatory they became.

They saw I had an entry stamp from SDQ on 9/1 and an exit on 9/3 and told me "I've never heard of anyone staying only two days, why were you REALLY there?". They didn't believe that I'd gone because "it's there". They asked how much money I made and then chose to run a criminal background check on me. The whole ordeal took over 45 minutes and what upset me the most was I HAD DONE NOTHING WRONG. The more I explained why I was there, the less they believed me. I almost wanted to start lying so hopefully they'd believe me and let me go. When I asked what they expected to find in my phone they snapped "the Customs Act allows us to look through your phone so be quiet".
Without trying to excuse or condone the behavior, there is absolutely nothing here that hasn't happened to hundreds, if not thousands of Canadians trying to enter the US. In my business, the US immigration types are notorious for the same type of behavior and for making up the rules as they go along. They make entirely arbitrary, unsubstantiated decisions, and I'm told that under US law they cannot even be held accountable or disciplined for incorrect decisions or bad behavior. This from a country that holds itself out as the world standard in freedom and liberty.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:55 pm

I am a US citizen. The way US CBP treated me several times upon entering the US is the main reason I went out of my way to get Global Entry (I have no history with law enforcement of any sort, at all). Worth it to avoid the stress.

US CBP is doing their job, but they can do it in a professional and courteous manner. The way they often behave is not the way to treat our guests.

I haven't entered Canada many times, but when I have they have always been professional, though I suspect I got lucky.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: Delta Silver
I've been to many countries in Europe, South America and Asia and customs/immigration has always been a quick and pleasant experience.

The only country where I've consistently experienced rude behavior and treated like a criminal for daring to visit for the weekend has been our favorite neighbor to the north...Canada.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by yolo1966
I've been to many countries in Europe, America and Asia and customs/immigration has always been a quick and pleasant experience.

The only country where I've consistently experienced rude behavior and treated like a criminal for daring to visit for the weekend has been our favorite neighbor to the north...Canada.
Yes it's a far cry from when you could enter either country by basically saying you were going to a concert or a sporting event (or just wanting to buy some beer on a Sunday in Buffalo for us thirsty Canadians) without even showing any identification. Of course that has all been ruined by world events in the last 25 years.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Of course that has all been ruined by world events in the last 25 years.
It's been ruined to government overreaction to events in the past 25 years.

Frankly, if were not an American or Canadian citizen, I would skip both countries altogether. There are far more interesting places to which to travel.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
While I’m not condoning the rude demeanor of the border patrol agents, I do have to wonder if some of it is purposeful. Perhaps they are trained as such? I dunno… maybe research has shown that making a pax uncomfortable gives cause to behavior that may ‘out’ them as illegal in some way. IF that is the case, I can partially understand the treatment.

All just a guess.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by PSUhorty
While I’m not condoning the rude demeanor of the border patrol agents, I do have to wonder if some of it is purposeful. Perhaps they are trained as such? I dunno… maybe research has shown that making a pax uncomfortable gives cause to behavior that may ‘out’ them as illegal in some way. IF that is the case, I can partially understand the treatment.

All just a guess.
Guess or not, this is exactly what US CBP was doing during my Nexus interview. Of course, realized it's all a game and stayed cool the entire interview while they tried to trip up my answers.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Braindrain

Seriously, with those stamps, the weird itin, and the claim you "only travel twice a year", even I'd think you're a drug mule.
I said I only travel INTERNATIONALLY twice a year, I travel domestically twice a month.

Originally Posted by PSUhorty

All just a guess.
I actually agree. Most of the law enforcement I deal with in the US, be it state or local cops, seem to have discovered you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I respect the job CBSA was doing, I just don't respect the way it was done.

I'm very saddened to hear that the experiences I went through have happened to so many of my fellow travelers in this country. I was hoping what happened to me was atypical, not typical. I guess I need to get out more.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by CMK10

I'm very saddened to hear that the experiences I went through have happened to so many of my fellow travelers in this country. I was hoping what happened to me was atypical, not typical. I guess I need to get out more.
Again, just be glad you are not a foreigner coming into the USA.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 2:48 pm

CMK10,

Welcome to the club. It's called profiling. Your travels do not fit the
typical/accepted patterns, ergo, the delay and shakedown.

GE/Nexus/Sentri should be helpful because some vetting is done on
front-end. But; they are no guarantee of a hassle-free border crossing.
Especially so; given your destination and itinerary.

> Would the US really read the texts and emails of people?

Yes. It is routine. LOTS of info (intelligence) in what is called, "pocket litter."

> I know to do that to a US citizen they'd need a warrant.

WRONG. WRONG. WRONG ... and WRONG.

When you are at a PoE, immigration officers (USA & other countries) have
exceptional powers to search and detain without warrants or probable cause.
A whim, a hunch and just-because are all entirely legal.

In the USA; ICE and CBP exceptions that allow warrantless search and
detain far inland from the physical border:

http://www.aclu.org/technology-and-l...tion-free-zone
https://frtv.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-con...tutionFree.jpg

That said, I have also spoken with quite senior DOJ Criminal Division
prosecutors ... and they really get uncomfortable when ICE & CBP
officers stray too far from the border.

> I said I only travel INTERNATIONALLY twice a year, I travel domestically
> twice a month.

This does nothing to alay suspicion. Be respectful. Don't give'm a REASON
to arrest/detain.

Last edited by dranz; Nov 3, 2012 at 3:04 pm
Old Nov 3, 2012, 3:16 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Can they compel you to enter the pass codes? Or will they just seize your phone if you refuse?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by PresRDC
It's been ruined to government overreaction to events in the past 25 years.

Frankly, if were not an American or Canadian citizen, I would skip both countries altogether. There are far more interesting places to which to travel.
+1
That became my decision in regard the the US some time ago, and have had no regrets about my vacation dollars going to Asia and Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.