Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Electronic cigarettes - airline policy decisions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic cigarettes - airline policy decisions?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I simply don't understand why people don't buy Nicorette Lozenges or gum. That's what I use and it works just fine.

No need to antagonize people with a fake cigarette when both products do the same thing.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Silver (MQS)
Instead of smoking an e-cig on a plane, I think an easier solution to get your nicotine fix would be to dip some smokeless tobacco during your flight.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by hoppingabird
Instead of smoking an e-cig on a plane, I think an easier solution to get your nicotine fix would be to dip some smokeless tobacco during your flight.
DL doesn't allow that either, not sure about other airlines.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I simply don't understand why people don't buy Nicorette Lozenges or gum. That's what I use and it works just fine.

No need to antagonize people with a fake cigarette when both products do the same thing.
A better way to phrase it would be: "Although I have never tried an true eCig, I use Nicorette and it works for me!" You see, coming off as insulting isn't a good way to get people to join you.

They are not fake cigarettes, they are a different type of nicotine delivery system. They are flavored with many flavors because people say "I like smoking" not "I like the taste of smoke" and nicotine, peg and water just the same don't taste very good alone.

I don't vape, but I have and therefor am able to form an opinion that it is beneficial, people quit smoking tobacco by vaping easier then nicotine replacements just as I imagine you do not use Nicorette full time? Ever wonder why it doesn't work to quit? There is a reason and it involves nicotine not being all that addictive - by its self. Working in concert with other MAOIs found in cigarettes is what makes it so addicting.

The reason why vaping works is because you can trick your mind into getting over the lack of MAOIs by having both the sensation of smoking and the nicotine (which again is just part of it). Whereas nicotine replacements such as the patch and, gum don't do anything but deliver Nicotine which alone, is not very helpful.

So what about people who cannot be won over by sensation and nicotine alone? SNUS is a good maoi replacement, but not much better that smoking. Or you could choose to get an eliquid that is made from tobacco thus includes the whole tobacco alkaloid as a way to get over the hump, but again, not much better then smoking.

So no, both products do not do the same thing, at all.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I don't particularly care what addicts like or don't like; one should be free to enjoy their vices in private (or at least outdoors, where permitted), but expelling vapor in a public, enclosed place like a plane is not THAT much better than smoking.

If it helps smokers quit, great. If they choose not to quit, and engage in private, bully for them. Just don't make us non-smokers share in it.

Fortunately, the three airlines I fly regularly (AA, JL, CX) have all banned them.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL GE
As a smoker, the idea of smoking in small spaces is gross to me. I don't know how people flew when you could smoke on a plane. I don't think I could do it..

A train with a smoking car? Sure.. No where to escape on a plane lol..
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by pragakhan
As a smoker, the idea of smoking in small spaces is gross to me. I don't know how people flew when you could smoke on a plane. I don't think I could do it..

A train with a smoking car? Sure.. No where to escape on a plane lol..
A lot of smokers felt the same way, back in the "good old days", and would book non-smoking seats then spend most of their flight hanging around the smoking area either standing in the aisles or poaching seats when the rightful owner went to the lav. It was truly disgusting.

It was amazing how many butts could be crammed into one of those teeny ashtrays on a 14 hour TPAC flight
Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nkedel
I don't particularly care what addicts like or don't like; one should be free to enjoy their vices in private (or at least outdoors, where permitted), but expelling vapor in a public, enclosed place like a plane is not THAT much better than smoking.

If it helps smokers quit, great. If they choose not to quit, and engage in private, bully for them. Just don't make us non-smokers share in it.

Fortunately, the three airlines I fly regularly (AA, JL, CX) have all banned them.
Expelling vapor is much more pleasant than what gets expelled after you eat beans, and non bean eaters are unfortunately exposed to the fumes.

Even though the airlines you fly have banned them, I can almost guarantee you that someone on one of your flights has vaped, and you have not noticed it.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by pragakhan
A better way to phrase it would be: "Although I have never tried an true eCig, I use Nicorette and it works for me!" You see, coming off as insulting isn't a good way to get people to join you.
To make it through a long flight, it does work perfectly fine and doesn't aggravate anyone. That was my point.

I'm not interested in discussing the merits of an e-cig to quit. That isn't the issue here.

I'm just trying to help people out. I've even given some of my lozenges to others on my flights who are in need (if I hear them mention it). I always get more than one thanks from the person.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:08 am

Studies show that e-cigarette smokers do exhale a significant amount of nicotine which other will breathe in (though much less than a regular cigarette). In an enclosed environment this is an issue.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: TK *G, HHonors Gold, UA 0.547MM and ex-1K but we gave up on each other
Originally Posted by erik123
Studies show that e-cigarette smokers do exhale a significant amount of nicotine which other will breathe in (though much less than a regular cigarette). In an enclosed environment this is an issue.
+1.

Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights has a fact sheet on e-cigarettes and secondhand aerosol.

The DOT's pending proposed rule to prohibit e-cigarettes on airliners has been dragging on since 2011.

You can use this link to submit a comment. We recommend you ask them to stop waiting and fully enact the proposed rule.

Today's the 25th anniversary of the ban on smoking on U.S. flights (discussion of that in this thread). Submitting your comment to the DOT is a good way to celebrate.

- Walt Bilofsky
Board Member, Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I debated on posting this, but I figured what the heck. If you think there's a debate on just air travel and vaping (e-cigarettes) this is really nothing. There is a much more pressing issue related to the regulation of liquid nicotine and devices. I'm involved in some of this because I am an avid vapor after 22 years of smoking. I am an advocate of some regulations, and I'm sometimes looked at as an outcast in the vaping community because of this view.

I personally think that is should be regulated indoors (airlines, hotels, bars, restaurants etc...) My issue is that the business should define their own rules and post them visably. Let the owners and shareholders make the decision as well as customers to be patrons. It's really simple. I believe that in tightly confined spaces there should be no vaping - there's too many differences between the atomizers/juices/batteries that even the person vaping may not understand what they are doing. It's just so new, no one really has answers.

So I can also make this clear, I have vaped on planes. I actually have a setup that creates zero fog (smoke). It has zero smell - and when I say zero smell, it may smell a little like a whiff of black pepper (nicotine) but not like some of the food I smell in coach half the time that makes me want to either puke or makes me very hungry. Who want's to ban food intake? No takers on that right?

During the last 15 months, I have reduced my nicotine intake to between 6% and 0%. At this point I just really enjoy the flavor of the juices I either mix myself or purchase. Right now I am enjoying a Root Beer flavor that's really amazing, and my wife thinks so as well.

There is just so much animosity towards smoking and the vitriol of some of the anti-smoking crowd - and that has really just spilled over to E-Cigarettes. I am also not naive about vaping. It could be doing some damage - really no different then ingesting large amounts of alcoholic beverages over a long period of time. We all will die sometime, it's just how fast we get there right?

I personally respect the space of folks around me. Like I said before, I did vape on flights, but I don't do that now. But if you want to start talking about banning things from flights, let's start with the nasty food, 100 gallons of Aquanet and 80 pounds of hair gel that offend about 90% of people. I will bet you my next paycheck that my vape smells nothing like that. What's next? Maybe ban bourbon because I don't like the smell of that?

Sorry for the long rant folks - I really just wish folks would have a bit more of an open view when it comes to the people who vape and respect to non-vapors alike.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DJTim
I debated on posting this, but I figured what the heck. If you think there's a debate on just air travel and vaping (e-cigarettes) this is really nothing. There is a much more pressing issue related to the regulation of liquid nicotine and devices. I'm involved in some of this because I am an avid vapor after 22 years of smoking. I am an advocate of some regulations, and I'm sometimes looked at as an outcast in the vaping community because of this view.

So I can also make this clear, I have vaped on planes. I actually have a setup that creates zero fog (smoke). It has zero smell - and when I say zero smell, it may smell a little like a whiff of black pepper (nicotine) but not like some of the food I smell in coach half the time that makes me want to either puke or makes me very hungry. Who want's to ban food intake? No takers on that right?

There is just so much animosity towards smoking and the vitriol of some of the anti-smoking crowd - and that has really just spilled over to E-Cigarettes. I am also not naive about vaping. It could be doing some damage - really no different then ingesting large amounts of alcoholic beverages over a long period of time. We all will die sometime, it's just how fast we get there right?
Edited down some of your post.

I'm one of those people who hate it when someone smokes around me. If I'm in a hotel and someone in another room on the same floor smokes, I can smell it and I call the front desk.

My wife smoked for years. Part of the deal to keep me happy is that she never smoked in the house. Back porch unless it was raining, and then it was the garage.

She took up e-cigs about 2 years ago to try to quit cigarettes. She uses the small ones that look like a regular cigarette (not the psychedelic bongs some people use). Not only don't I have a problem with her doing that in the house, but when we are in the car she can be sitting in the seat next to me smoking her e-cig and I can't smell it.

So I agree with the previous poster. Those who are after e-cigs and trying to ban them in public are more worried about image than reality.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Some folks just fly into and intense, all consuming, internal rage at the mere visual appearance, or even the discussion, of anything that even resembles smoking. I get that that. The great thing about e-cigs on planes is that I can simply use them in the lav or, as I frequently do, just be discreet about taking a puff and hold it in long enough it dissipates before exhaling and the people who become consumed by rage by the visual aspect can sit right next to me none the wiser. Though you may notice the lav has a fresh clean minty smell after I exit, instead of the more traditional all natural airline lav smell.

I can't see how bans will have the slightest effect on anything other than openly flaunting them in the cabin, since it's pretty easy to conceal them.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
I can't see how bans will have the slightest effect on anything other than openly flaunting them in the cabin, since it's pretty easy to conceal them.
Honestly it's the openly flaunting that i personally find annoying.. if you can vape without other pax knowing then good on you, but i dislike the smell that most vape flavours emit even though it's arguably harmless. Unless it was being exhaled into my face i wouldn't care enough to complain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.