Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Electronic cigarettes - airline policy decisions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic cigarettes - airline policy decisions?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by SBFlyerUA
I had a new experience on a flight today. The passenger seated next to me repeatedly used an e-cigarette during the flight. At first I didn't know what it was, but figured it out after a bit. It wasn't as bad as someone smoking a regular cigarette, but it did emit an odor. When I asked him to stop, he did, after calling me a "dick" (whatever). It is illegal under the general FAA rules against smoking on planes, 14 CFR Part 252, but I had to look it up later to be sure. Has anyone else had experience with this, and how the FAs might handle? Just wondering in case this turns into a trend.
I have seen Ryanair selling these e-cigs, so i would guess there is a legal precedent toward smoking them onboard.

Ugh...
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:39 pm

I don't feel comfortable with e-cigarettes anymore. And this is why. My husband bought some. After the first recharge he "lit up" and it started to smoke and not quite exploded, but got hot enough to burn something inside and slightly burned his lips.

Second incidence was a friend that had the battery charging and it burned a hole in her carpet after shooting across the room while they were watching TV.

I don't trust those things anymore.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Not for nuthin' but has anyone considered using Nicorette? I never get on a plane without them, even short flights.

They work well and no one complains that I've put a "candy" in my mouth
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by biggjeff
I have seen Ryanair selling these e-cigs, so i would guess there is a legal precedent toward smoking them onboard.
RyanAir doesn't fly to/from the US, so the FAA rules are a non-issue.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer
For some reason eciggs freak people out. I vape all the time but I guess I can see why it would be an issue on a plane. Like what was stated up thread I am sure so airlines just did not want to deal with the needing to calm a pax down who got their knickers in a fit over somebody vapeing.

It would be interesting to know what the reason was for the FAA to make the prohibition law of the land.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by TheLinguist
It would be interesting to know what the reason was for the FAA to make the prohibition law of the land.
According to this article, they were pushed into by Congress or at least a member of Congress.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:52 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by djk7
According to this article, they were pushed into by Congress or at least a member of Congress.
Thank you US Senate! Oh well, seems silly to me, but this will not change so what can you do
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by biggjeff
RyanAir don't sell e-cigs. They sell "Smokeless" cigargattes.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by djk7
not sure if this came out before or after the congress decision, but apparently secondhand e-cig smoke also has health effects..

http://www.realfarmacy.com/study-rev...arettes-toxic/
Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by travelingmomma
Someone I know smokes or actually vapes through the entire flight almost non stop. Their brand produces no detectable odor, and easily hides it by getting windiw seats and putting head down to purse or kids teddy bear and vaping into it. The vapor is almost zero if its held in 10 seconds. Many flights, many puffs, nobody has ever caught on. And of course, lav trips for carefree vaping are always fun for someone i know.
No problem here with vapes on a plane. Would you like to sit in vape or non-vape? Unfortunately the most polite way is to do one's vaping in the lav; although I'm sure Your Friend is a responsible person, some people are idiots; and sooner or later some idiot is going to start a lav fire and ruin everyone's whole day.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
I use Blu e-cigs. They have a rechargeable pack that is small and fits in your pocket, and it keeps the spare battery charged. I head to the lav to avoid those who complain.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
umm... no. You posted an article and a PROPOSAL. It is still not explicitly banned from the FAA. They left it up to the airlines (most of which say no). But the fact is, they can ban you from using their airline, but you can't be arrested. It's simply not illegal. Period.

Originally Posted by nkedel
As already noted up-thread in message #9, they are banned by the FAA on all US flights, and good riddance.
[L]ook at the actual LAW. FAA and DOT both have not made an official ban so it is NOT a federal offense, and it is not illegal. They just left it up to individual airlines.

Originally Posted by zhangbear
not sure if this came out before or after the congress decision, but apparently secondhand e-cig smoke also has health effects..

http://www.realfarmacy.com/study-rev...arettes-toxic/
No a single person here has thier facts straight. The liquid is manufactured in many places and in many countries. Some cheap-o liquid was found to have nasty stuff in it, which is why many sellers in the US only sell liquid made in the us. You can't magically get formaldehyde or any other toxin from vegetable glycerine and/or propylene glycol mixed with synthetic flavoring and nicotine.
There is no federal law banning ecigs from congress, the FAA or the DOT. Proposals were made over 2 years ago but nothing has even been passed other than the FAA telling the airlines to decide for themselves. Why? Because there's no danger involved. No fire, no combustion. There are dangers in recharging ANY cheaply made rechargeable battery (but who's rechargeing the batteries on an airplane?).

Propylene glycol? same EXACT stuff in fog machines. Mostly. Some machines (like in firefighting training) use an oil based solution, which is much thicker, more harmfull, and will set off a smole alarm.

[Unnecessary text deleted by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 29, 2013 at 9:23 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts of same member; edits by Moderator per FlyerTalk Rules to avoid snarky and unduly personalized text.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:21 am

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Exclamation

If I were still a smoker, I'd be tempted to smoke e-cigs in the lav!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Do they have to be turned off for takeoff and landing
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:17 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

As is often the case, a topic like this one garners intense reaction.

A few requests in order to keep the thread open: let's stay on the topic of use of e-cigs on airplanes or related to travel; and let's stay within the FlyerTalk rules that we debate the topic, not the member(s). Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.