Rant on deplaning

Subscribe
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to rant about this. I'm new to the form. Although I just hit status yesterday [I'll have to find the thread about that]

Does it annoy anyone else when getting off the plane that theres already a line of people ready to leave and then people jump up from their seat to jump in and grab their bag. I realize that people want to get up and go, but emptying the line first makes it quicker. Also, its incredibly rare [in my experience] that anyone that jumps up would just have their carry on already retrieved or just had the one from under their seat.
Quote: I'm not sure if this is the correct place to rant about this. I'm new to the form. Although I just hit status yesterday [I'll have to find the thread about that]

Does it annoy anyone else when getting off the plane that theres already a line of people ready to leave and then people jump up from their seat to jump in and grab their bag. I realize that people want to get up and go, but emptying the line first makes it quicker. Also, its incredibly rare [in my experience] that anyone that jumps up would just have their carry on already retrieved or just had the one from under their seat.
Cant understand the point you are trying to make.
Quote: I'm not sure if this is the correct place to rant about this. I'm new to the form. Although I just hit status yesterday [I'll have to find the thread about that]

And sometimes the person from 5 rows back "jumps up" right away and blocks you from even standing up. It takes 3-4 seconds to grab your bag out of the over head, sometimes maybe 10.

What really annoys me, are those who push you out of the way saying that they have a plane to catch at a major hub. Really? Like half the plane doesn't either.
I don't get your point either.
Quote: I don't get your point either.
I think the point is that if you stand up in the aisle right after the seatbelt light goes off you should exit the plane before those are sitting. If you are sitting you need to wait (needlessly, IMHO) for the entire aisle to clear before you dare stand up lest you make a DYKWIA wait 10-15 seconds.
Quote: ...Does it annoy anyone else when getting off the plane that theres already a line of people ready to leave and then people jump up from their seat to jump in and grab their bag...
Actually this doesn't annoy me at all and is the way I expect things to work. I generally expect the people seated in rows in front of mine to deplane before I do and I expect to get off before those seated behind me. So I wait for those in front of me to pull down their bag and then I take my turn to get off. There are exceptions to this but absent a good reason I expect to deplane this way.

I find it annoying when I want to get my bag down and people from behind my row push forward in the aisle trying to get off quickly, thereby blocking people's ability to get to their bags.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

On my last flight I started to enter the aisle to take my turn to get off when a guy from a row behind me tried to zoom past. I gave him the stink eye and he backed off.
The common standard for planes, trains, bus, it it empties from front to back. If you are standing behind row 5, you would wait for everybody in the first five rows to get up and get off before you get off.

Not saying that's right or wrong, it's just how it is.

If you want to be the first person off the plane, then sit up front, otherwise you will have to wait because there's far more people who will let everybody else out first than who won't.
Quote: I think the point is that if you stand up in the aisle right after the seatbelt light goes off you should exit the plane before those are sitting. If you are sitting you need to wait (needlessly, IMHO) for the entire aisle to clear before you dare stand up lest you make a DYKWIA wait 10-15 seconds.
i almost always have an aisle seat(old man with bladder problems). when the line finally starts to move, i jump up, and allow the three on the left, and the two on the right to get in front of me while all those who got great aisle position stand behind me and suck wind. it is actually faster, because bags can be pulled by others and are ready.
On a flight a couple of months ago from LGA-ORD, after we landed, everyone got up as usual to get their bags from the overhead bins and file off the plane.

As I was standing in the aisle to reach my bag, a rather large, 60-ish Midwestern woman sitting a couple of rows behind barreled right through the aisle next to me, saying "Excuse me! Excuse me!" rather aggressively as she did so.

I was annoyed, but whatever. I went back to trying to get my laptop bag out from the overhead. Then another 60-ish, large Midwestern woman did the exact same thing, literally pushing me out of her way and almost leading me to drop the laptop bag. She was a friend of the first woman.

I was sort of stunned, and a couple of guys who were waiting behind me just looked at me with compassion and said they couldn't believe what just happened either. It was pretty shocking behavior.

When I got off the plane, the two women were just standing like sheep right in the gate area, in no apparent hurry to go anywhere. As I passed by, I said - in a calm, non-aggressive voice - that the courteous thing to do is to deplane by rows rather than pushing other passengers out of your way as you storm down the aisle.

The second woman just glowered at me and yelled, "Oh - shut the hell up!"

Welcome to Chicago, I guess.
Quote: On a flight a couple of months ago from LGA-ORD, after we landed, everyone got up as usual to get their bags from the overhead bins and file off the plane.

As I was standing in the aisle to reach my bag, a rather large, 60-ish Midwestern woman sitting a couple of rows behind barreled right through the aisle next to me, saying "Excuse me! Excuse me!" rather aggressively as she did so.

I was annoyed, but whatever. I went back to trying to get my laptop bag out from the overhead. Then another 60-ish, large Midwestern woman did the exact same thing, literally pushing me out of her way and almost leading me to drop the laptop bag. She was a friend of the first woman.

I was sort of stunned, and a couple of guys who were waiting behind me just looked at me with compassion and said they couldn't believe what just happened either. It was pretty shocking behavior.

When I got off the plane, the two women were just standing like sheep right in the gate area, in no apparent hurry to go anywhere. As I passed by, I said - in a calm, non-aggressive voice - that the courteous thing to do is to deplane by rows rather than pushing other passengers out of your way as you storm down the aisle.

The second woman just glowered at me and yelled, "Oh - shut the hell up!"

Welcome to Chicago, I guess.
Ironically (noting your location), many would expect the same behavior from always-in-a-hurry New Yorkers. (And what you DON'T realize from MY location is that I am a native NYC'er myself so please read this with the proper sense of self-deprecating humor. )

Now in all seriousness, I have no tolerance for aisle-barrelers either, and so they either get blocked off by all 6'3" 250+ of me much in the same fashion of slawecki above, or if they're fast enough to get past me, they get a LOUD New Yorker commentary as they barrel by.
My comment was pretty much lets say you're at the gate, the seatbelt sign is off etc, but they aren't letting you off the plane yet. This happened to me at ROC last night on a turbo prop. I have my two bags, and I stand in the line that is the asle. What I'm referring to is the people that didn't wait in the line, and then try to jump in when you're trying to move forward.

Most people who do this have a bag in the overhead. At best I would say they could get up, get the bag out in 30 seconds. Often its takes more because the bag is heavy, their too short, the bag is huge, or the bin is small at the opening.

What I'm suggesting, let the people who brought just one carry on and stuffed it under the seat go quickly, let the people who didn't carry anything go, let the people that are already standing and in line to go empty the plane. Theres no need for rushing to tear your bag out of the baggage.

/end of rant

EDIT: If there is a line, wait, if there is a gap of at least 4 rows go ahead and get your things.
Second Ninja Edit: Carry on bags have gotten a lot bigger. If i'm waiting in line in the aisle I'll help those around me get their bags. I might even help my row get their bags. Even if you have a tight connection its not always possible to get a seat close to the front.

NO it does not annoy me, and I really don't understand your angst. To me it is common courtesy and etiquette to deplane by row. I have never once thought I should barrel past people. If there is no order, everyone would just stand up and it would resemble a bunch of sheep trying to leave the pen.
Quote: The common standard for planes, trains, bus, it it empties from front to back. If you are standing behind row 5, you would wait for everybody in the first five rows to get up and get off before you get off.

Not saying that's right or wrong, it's just how it is.

If you want to be the first person off the plane, then sit up front, otherwise you will have to wait because there's far more people who will let everybody else out first than who won't.
Trains, from my experience its not that bad. Amtrak: there isn't a massive rush to get off, and not everyone gets off at he same time. DeutscheBahn: People get their stuff and stand near the door to get off before it comes to a stop. Buses people generally bring one carry on. A bookbag or a small duffle. [Not a carryon that barely fits in the carry on limits]
Quote: What I'm suggesting, let the people who brought just one carry on and stuffed it under the seat go quickly, let the people who didn't carry anything go, let the people that are already standing and in line to go empty the plane. Theres no need for rushing to tear your bag out of the baggage.
And there's no need for you to go barreling by people in order to get off before them.

Quote:
EDIT: If there is a line, wait, if there is a gap of at least 4 rows go ahead and get your things.
There could very easily never be a gap in the line. Then the person who you think shouldn't be able to get up and retrieve their bags has to wait till everyone else has deplaned before they can move. Sorry, doesn't make sense.

As others have stated, it's common courtesy to deplane by rows. If you don't like it, make sure you have a seat up front. If you ever tried to get me to stop retrieving my bags so you could go first, I would look at you like you were crazy and then carry on with my business. We're all just trying to get off the plane and you're no more important than the rest of us.
Quote: And there's no need for you to go barreling by people in order to get off before them.
If they were there getting their bags out or already was in the aisle by the time I got there no worries. But if you're moving with the line and then someone just jumps out in front of you... come on.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  11