Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant on deplaning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mart81
I couldn't care less to be honest it's not about who has the biggest e-penis, I just find the word "deplane" something that a 6-year old would come up with by lack of better terminlogy at hand.

All BA staff, pilots & cabin crew refer to disembarking when making announcements, I'd say for the primary carrier of the country where the language has been "invented" that would put some weight in.
You obviously DO care, or else you wouldn't have made your original and subsequent comments about it, including the one made after your "I couldn't care less" statement.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
To the guy who posted first: there's not enough room in the aisle for everyone to stand there and line up to get off the plane. If I'm on an aisle, I do stand up immediately, because my back is usually on fire with pain. However, I do not think that gives me the right to sprint ahead of all the middle and window passengers in front of me, just because I was lucky enough to be able to stand.
If there's a tight connection at risk, you inform the FA, who we hope makes the request to all to let a few people off first.
If not, suck it up.
I think the bold part above is one of the most important points the OP is overlooking: Standing or sitting is not always a choice. If the guy in the aisle seat refuses to stand up early, it does not matter what the people in the middle and window seats choose to do.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
p.s. Someone probably said the same thing (maybe several), but i couldn't stand to read through the vocabulary posts.
I don't debark, disembark, or deplane: I "get the he** off this friggin' can of torture!"
+1000

Originally Posted by lsumegan
i think the bold part above is one of the most important points the op is overlooking: Standing or sitting is not always a choice. If the guy in the aisle seat refuses to stand up early, it does not matter what the people in the middle and window seats choose to do.
^^^^
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Mart81
All BA staff, pilots & cabin crew refer to disembarking when making announcements, I'd say for the primary carrier of the country where the language has been "invented" that would put some weight in.
The OED seems to find the word deplane acceptable. since, it is the primary dictionary of the country where the language was "invented" (to use your words), I find that acceptable. You don't have to.

Back to the topic at hand, I think we have to accept leaving the plane as a free-for-all. There is no way that the OP's suggestion is going to happen, so why worry about it.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:16 am

If I'm in an aisle seat traveling with a small carry on that fits under my seat, and I'm ready to go, I will go as soon as I can. There's no need to wait for someone else to remove their bag. If everyone who was traveling light in an aisle seat deplaned first, that would clear the plane for others.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by nd2010
If I'm in an aisle seat traveling with a small carry on that fits under my seat, and I'm ready to go, I will go as soon as I can. There's no need to wait for someone else to remove their bag. If everyone who was traveling light in an aisle seat deplaned first, that would clear the plane for others.
Think about how arrival works:

1) plane is moving, arrives at gate, pilot hits bell and people can now get up
2) Almost everyone in the aisle seats do, they start getting down their bags
3) we wait until the GA gets the jetway to the plane and the door is opened
4) we start filing out (front to back)

For your model to work everyone who doesn't fit that profile waits for those of you who do to exit. That just isn't going to happen, I mean if you are in the first row, sure but that's already a done deal. If you are buried 2/3 of the way back in Y, there will be a whole bunch of people who are in the aisle, preparing to disembark (use the word that pleases you).

While there might be a global "optimum" sequence (I guess the function would be the one that disembarks all the passengers in the least total time), nobody in the plane has all the information necessary to figure that out. I don't know if there are a 100 people behind me in track suits who have qualified for the 100 meter dash at the Olympics and can disembark in under 11 seconds if I just stay out of the way.

I do know that all of my things are arranged and ready to roll down the aisle before the door is opened and there are few people that get down that aisle as quickly as I do. So, I optimize me, and I get out.

Alternatively, if I can't do that, for example, I was wait listed, boarded late, got a crappy window seat and had to put my bag up 4 rows behind me at the back of the plane. I'm going to relax and wait for the passengers to file out and there is no traffic moving forward before I get my bag. So, my philosophy is that I should optimize my experience as long as that does not come at the expense of inconveniencing others. I try to plan in ways that allow me to do so (get aisle seats as far forward as possible, keep my bags near me, if I have a close connection and had to stash the bag in the back, before they lock down for approach, go get it and put in under the seat in front of me...)

Last edited by JMN57; Jul 14, 2012 at 8:32 am
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:45 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
I think we've totally missed the OPs point. We've been talking about getting off of aircraft, ships (barqs), etc.

The OP was ranting about "deplaining". This would be the act of leaving a meadow, field, etc. wouldn't it?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:11 am

He can call it anything he wants; if he tries to sprint down the aisle to be first off, he's going to be cursing the procedure until the End of Days. Just doesn't work that way. Won't ever work that way.
Waiting your turn is a fact of life (unless you're a German in a U.S. ski lift line).
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by medic51vrf
I think we've totally missed the OPs point. We've been talking about getting off of aircraft, ships (barqs), etc.

The OP was ranting about "deplaining". This would be the act of leaving a meadow, field, etc. wouldn't it?
I think it means to make things a little fancier. He doesn't like things plain.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Yeah that was the impression I got. I thought this was going to be about smuggling paint onboard to improve the aircraft interior. Silly really, should just stick to a couple nice bright throwa to improve your immediate surroundings
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
No, your probably one of those people that jumps up and wants to get past everyone, me thinks. I think that the plane should deplane from the front forward, if someone needs extra time they should hang out for a bit, but if I am in row 10 and you are in row 14 and hoped up to rush to get past a few rows, then I think you can wait for me and everyone in my row to get up and go before you.

And to your question, letting the line of jumpers go just means they get off the plane faster, not that the plane deplanes any faster.

-Patrick
Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by TIGA31328

And to your question, letting the line of jumpers go just means they get off the plane faster, not that the plane deplanes any faster.

-Patrick
You just went off topic. We were discussing how to deplain the plane.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold
Originally Posted by nd2010
That sums up my entire post right there.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by monksy
That sums up my entire post right there.
You should really stop digging.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:02 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Originally Posted by TIGA31328
I think that the plane should deplane from the front forward,
-Patrick
Wow Patrick, you're really hardcore! From the front forward? Row 1 off you get. Now the Capt, FO and FE. Sucks to be the rest of you, I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.