Wiki Posts
Search

Rant on deplaning

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold
Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal
Sorry, yes, I meant CLT. I've found that most direct flights MSY-CLT are expensive, so I usually book cheaper with the connection.

Okay, I took the trip. When I first booked the flight there were no front seats showing as available. When it was time to check-in online they gave the option to change seats. There were seats now showing available in the front, so I paid the required $9 and got a seat closer to the front, (an aisle seat like the first time). I also bought myself a rolling backpack that fit under the seat in front of me. I don't carry a purse on a plane so didn't even have to juggle that.

We landed. I rolled the backpack out as soon as the seat belt sign went off, stood up (at my place) and exited minutes later. It worked great! Got to my other gate about 10 minutes before they started boarding!

Added bonus- I love the rolling backpack in my constant quest to pack lighter and lighter!
I don't blame you. You don't always get the option to get front seats. IMO Its a bit more rude to deplaine by row and ignore the potential that people may have short connects. [If you have a short connection you should be motivated to get up and go]
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
See earlier post. The tight connection deplaning priority plan fails.
It works fine when they allow me to make the announcement. ("If you're in the aisle, keep walking and do not stop. If the person in front of you stops, walk over his body.")

There is a reason scientists and engineers don't run the world.
Too many fools. For evidence, look at the results of just about any election.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
See earlier post. The tight connection deplaning priority plan fails.

There is a reason scientists and engineers don't run the world.
I can think of many examples from my own experience of high IQ people who can't get along with their colleagues. It's not just scientists and engineers that can't get along. Plenty of "smart" people can't cooperate because they think their way is better. We do see plenty of these smart people in politics but I think the typical politician knows they have to work together, at least with their own party, to get something done.

Knowing the arrogance of some engineers, I shudder to imagine a world where they are put in charge.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by monksy
A few things. I've got a masters, and was a PHd Candidate. 1. Good research is hard to find. Its not like you can query google for exactly what you want and have it return EXACTLY what you were wanting. 2. Simulations take quite a bit of time.
Actually I agree with sethb's point, I was only stating he/she needs to back their case up strongly - than expecting people to just believe them on an internet board. The other issue of course is the whole societal "clinging behavior". But that apart...I wanted to address your "masters, phd candidate" <-- oops now that' sounds like me. (have to finish that dragging phd).

1. Good research is hard to find. Its not like you can query google for exactly what you want and have it return EXACTLY what you were wanting.

>> for good research, you don't search on google and expect it to be handed on a platter. Then it is not called research. You get on to actual databases (inspec, compendex, web of science etc) and it was nt that hard to find queing theory papers that supported the aisle first movement.

And sethb's simple explanation is spot on. 9Thanks9.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
I can think of many examples from my own experience of high IQ people who can't get along with their colleagues. It's not just scientists and engineers that can't get along. Plenty of "smart" people can't cooperate because they think their way is better. We do see plenty of these smart people in politics but I think the typical politician knows they have to work together, at least with their own party, to get something done.

Knowing the arrogance of some engineers, I shudder to imagine a world where they are put in charge.
The difference between most with engineers and the latter is a matter of logic. You can convince an engineer an engineer to agree with you if you show evidence.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:43 am

The difference between most with engineers and the latter is a matter of logic. You can convince an engineer an engineer to agree with you if you show evidence.
ROTFL. It's true that some engineers can be persuaded, but plenty just ignore the evidence that isn't convenient or contradicts their opinions. Have you worked in an engineering area for very long?

I don't have as much faith in engineers as you do. I worked with one engineer in particular who could never be persuaded no matter how much evidence or documentation you came up with. This guy was convinced we didn't need corporate firewalls because all our machines ran Windows, and therefore were protected by network attacks by default. Pretty scary, and I was glad he didn't run the IT department.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
ROTFL. It's true that some engineers can be persuaded, but plenty just ignore the evidence that isn't convenient or contradicts their opinions. Have you worked in an engineering area for very long?

I don't have as much faith in engineers as you do. I worked with one engineer in particular who could never be persuaded no matter how much evidence or documentation you came up with. This guy was convinced we didn't need corporate firewalls because all our machines ran Windows, and therefore were protected by network attacks by default. Pretty scary, and I was glad he didn't run the IT department.
Never said that bad engineers exist. But wthout engineers we wouldn't have the plane, the airtraffic nor the flight options that we have today.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:55 am

Never said that bad engineers exist. But wthout engineers we wouldn't have the plane, the airtraffic nor the flight options that we have today.
I agree with you. This world is pretty amazing. Hard to believe what has been accomplished in just the last 100 years. I can't even imagine what the world will look like in another 100 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.