Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel
No, actually it's theft of transportation, so it's illegal.

I just say, "excuse me, are you in my seat" because I sometimes make mistakes too and the answer could be "no."
It's not theft of transportation because presumably they paid for the transportation (else they shouldn't have been able to board). It might be theft of services if there are services associated with that seat that they didn't pay for.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by k374
I've switched with people several times as a courtesy, then a couple months ago due to a screw up by the airline (put on another flight 60 minutes before as original flight was cancelled), my GF found herself in 20B (middle) while I was in 12C (aisle). So she politely asked the guy in 20C (aisle) if he would move ahead to my seat - 12C and we would swap overhead bags too so he would not have to find space. He refused. 12C would've actually been a better seat for him as it's closer to the exit when the plane lands.

Oh well, not accommodating anyone going forward, it does not pay to be nice these days....nobody has any courtesy and it's everyone for themselves.
Was it going to kill you to be separated for a few hours?

It's not discourteous to refuse a seat swap request. It was his to give away, not yours to demand.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would add that Mr. 20C might have had his own reasons for not wanting to swap seats with you and those reasons were none of your business. You were asking a favor and he had every right to refuse your request (which unfortunately seems to have been stated as a demand) and to continue to sit in his assigned seat.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by k374
Oh well, not accommodating anyone going forward, it does not pay to be nice these days....nobody has any courtesy and it's everyone for themselves.
Am I reading your post correctly: You are saying that you are now going to refuse to be nice to others because someone was not nice to you?

Perhaps Mr 20C had the same experience and decided never to help someone again?

Where does it end? Can't we try to help each other out, or is it all about ME?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last Saturday I got on an American Eagle flight CLT-STL. I had seat 4A, the last row in F. The GA had handwritten "4A" on my boarding pass. There was a guy in my seat. He got up without a protest and walked back to what I presume was his originally ticketed seat in Y. The FA back there gave him a look when he saw him coming.

First time that has happened to me.

Odd thing was that, after I was seated and they were about the close the door, the GA came onto the plane to hand me a new BP. This one was actually printed (not handwritten) and said my seat was now 1A. There was someone in 1A, so I just stayed where I was. Not sure what that was about...but it was also the first time a GA has met me on the plane.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:35 am

stand there until they move, it's incumbent upon them to ask at the gate for a swap. they're just being an ... by squatting and delaying boarding.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
Am I reading your post correctly: You are saying that you are now going to refuse to be nice to others because someone was not nice to you?
Oh well, several years ago (when SQ were still flying the FRA-JFK route with their 747s), I had booked both starboard seats of row 18 on the upper deck. Shortly after my companion and I had settled in, an FA approached us and asked (without giving a reason) whether we were willing to swap seats with the couple in row 12. As there was nothing obvious against it, we agreed. Shortly after settling into our new seats, we finally realized that there was an actual reason: Row 11 (which is the first row) is used as the bassinet row, and there was a couple with a toddler right in front of us. Fortunately for us, he/she didn't make the slightest sound during the entire flight, but I found it quite bold by the FA not to explain the reason (she probably thought "let's see whether there are passengers on board who look young and non-business-like enough to not be disturbed by a screaming child").

Still, despite having made (not so) bad experience like this, I would swap seats any time if a proper reason would be given to me.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The SQ passengers who wanted to move were probably high level elites. You're lucky you weren't just ordered to move.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Didn't the swap happen because the original occupants of 12 had an infant ans the OP didn't? That would happen on pretty much any airline.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The SQ passengers who wanted to move were probably high level elites. You're lucky you weren't just ordered to move.
If ordered to move, I would "request" compensation.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
If ordered to move, I would "request" compensation.
Good luck with some airlines. Seat assignments aren't guaranteed.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Good luck with some airlines. Seat assignments aren't guaranteed.
Lots of things aren't guaranteed. I know how to be less helpful when cooperating with the wording than would be desired.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Didn't the swap happen because the original occupants of 12 had an infant ans the OP didn't? That would happen on pretty much any airline.
No, reread it again. The couple asked to move were put behind a couple with an infant. The row in front is used as a "bassinet" row because it is a bulkhead row.

I would have walked back during the flight to the people who switched with me and said sarcastically, "good one."
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 747FC

Perhaps Mr 20C had the same experience and decided never to help someone again?

Where does it end? Can't we try to help each other out, or is it all about ME?
On a MD80 isn't 20C an exit row, and 12 not a MCE row; on AA anyway? If it were I pretty sure I would switch but it wouldn't be a slam dunk.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by kmandrew
On a MD80 isn't 20C an exit row, and 12 not a MCE row; on AA anyway? If it were I pretty sure I would switch but it wouldn't be a slam dunk.
That really is not the point. The poster was whining that because someone else was not accommodating to her, she would not accommodate others in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.