Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me book a trip to Rochester, MN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Help me book a trip to Rochester, MN

I'm planning to go to Rochester, MN in June for a few days for a meeting. I have miles from southwest airlines, united, hawaiian, and us airways. I don't have any hotel miles and would rather keep my hawaiin miles for trip to hawaii. Looking to stay at the cheapest hotel possible (i.e. days inn, extended stays, etc). What's best route of getting good deal and also getting some airline points in the process? I have chase sapphire (haven't met spending minimum yet to get 50,000 miles) along with those airline cards. Will be going out of LAX to MSP and planning to use 22,000 SWA points. LAX to RST is $500 on delta.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:56 am

You can always earn miles by renting cars and staying at hotels. You obviously won't be earning miles on the flight as you are using points.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by a7800
You can always earn miles by renting cars and staying at hotels. You obviously won't be earning miles on the flight as you are using points.

When it says "MP Partner 2 miles per USD", does it mean I'll get 2 miles even if I use chase sapphire?

I know that if I used SWA points, I won't earn any SWA miles. However, it looks like if I book a hotel on united.com when I log into my United mileplus account, i see promotion for 2 miles per USD. Assuming I book a $250 hotel stay using sapphire preferred, I wonder if I could get 500 united points if I book thorugh united.com mileplus account along with 500 ultimate rewards points which i can eventually convert to 500 united points for a net of 1000 miles. Or, do I have to use my United credit card to get the 2 miles per USD icon?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:13 pm

No point flying directly to Rochester. It's only an hour from MSP, and public transit is pretty much nonexistant there.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:13 am

Don't fly from MSP to Rochester. IMHO, the risk of having the short hop delayed or canceled outweighs the "convenience" of getting a little closer before you get the rental car - unless you are trying to avoid that altogether. I had colleagues I was traveling with miss our MSP-SFO flight after leaving from Rochester because the short hop was delayed, but I was fine because I'd driven. MSP is on the SE side of the twin cities, and it's an easy drive.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Oh no. When I said shuttle I meant van shuttle for $30. Still looking for good hotel deal
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Answer the following:
1. Do you want to fly from MSP to Rochester?
2. Will you be renting a car once you get to Rochester?
3. How much do you want to pay per night for a hotel in Rochester?
4. What time of day do you want to arrive in Rochester? .... leave Rochester?
5. Do your plans include time at the Mayo clinic? .... how much time?
6. What are your two most important issues? .... time, cost, convience, points, etc.

We can't help unless we know the details.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RRDD
Answer the following:
1. Do you want to fly from MSP to Rochester?
2. Will you be renting a car once you get to Rochester?
3. How much do you want to pay per night for a hotel in Rochester?
4. What time of day do you want to arrive in Rochester? .... leave Rochester?
5. Do your plans include time at the Mayo clinic? .... how much time?
6. What are your two most important issues? .... time, cost, convience, points, etc.

We can't help unless we know the details.
1. Drive from msp to Rochester
2. I was going to use the shuttle bus service
3.less than $80
4. Will arrive afternoon or early evening
5. Yes, it should be within walking distance to mayo clinic. Saw rental car cost was about $50/day.
6. Most important issues are cost and proximity.

Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:32 am

Because of the high number of visitors to the Mayo Clinic, many if not most of the hotels run shuttle vans to the buildings. The medical complex encompasses several buildings besides the hospitals.
This is a really good map and the hotels that are right there are clearly marked.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/mcitems/mc.../mc1663-55.pdf
Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:30 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
- There is a van service between MSP and the Rochester hospitals/hotels. Cost is ~$30 each way. The MSP web-site will show the options.
- Many hotels that charge less than $80 per night are available. The Mayo web-site will show the options.
- No need for a rental car.

Good Luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.