What's the MOST indirect routing you've ever put together

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the MOST indirect routing you've ever put together

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:03 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Last month I wanted to get from IAD to DCA, so I booked IAD-ATL-ORD-LAX-DFW-DEN-JFK-LAS-IAH-SFO-PHX-CLT-EWR-MCO-LGA-FLL-BWI-SLC-HNL-TPA-MDW-SAN-PDX-STL-MCI-MEM-CVG-RDU-CLE-OAK-BNA-SJU-SMF-HOU-PIT-SNA-AUS-MSY-IND-SJC-SAT-MKE-DAL-RSW-PBI-ABQ-CMH-BDL-JAX-BUF-OGG-ONT-PVD-ANC-BUR-RNO-OMA-TUS-OKC-MHT-ORF-RIC-GEG-SDF-TUL-BOI-ELP-LGB-BHM-ALB-ROC-KOA-GUM-LIH-DAY-CHS-GRR-SYR-LIT-ISP-COS-SAV-SFB-HPN-DSM-PWM-GSO-TYS-ICT-SGF-PNS-SRQ-PSP-BTV-MSN-CAK-MYR-GSP-AVL-ITO-MDT-JAN-HSV-STT-FAT-CAE-XNA-ACY-FNT-LBB-PHF-MLI-ILM-CID-GPT-LEX-MAF-GSN-FAI-BIL-IWA-GRB-TLH-AMA-SWF-ABE-SBA-BTR-VPS-HRL-FSD-PIE-EUG-SBN-BGR-BZN-MFE-JNU-CRP-FAR-GCN-ROA-JAC-CHA-BVU-MSO-MFR-DAB-FWA-BLI-MOB-BMI-RAP-ATW-PIA-GRK-CRW-PSC-BQN-SHV-RDM-EYW-LFT-AVP-LAN-ASE-EGE-GJT-TRI-FAY-ACK-MGM-EVV-MRY-GPI-TVC-AEX-BIS-AGS-CHO-STX-AZO-MBS-CWA-RST-IDA-DLH-MLB-BET-GTF-LNK-GNV-HDN-DRO-UNV-SBP-OAJ-BGM-ERI-HYA-IFP-LRD-BFL-LSE-EWN-PSE-ELM-MLU-KTN-RFD-TOL-ACV-STS-ITH-MKK-GFK-ENA-MTJ-CMI-HLN-BRO-FSM-HTS-NYL-ADQ-HXD-LAW-TYR-CPR-ABI-CLL-MOT-YKM-VGT-UTA-SBY-LCH-FLO-SIT-LWS-SUN-OTZ-FLG-SPI-ACT-OME-SAW-SJT-LYH-RDD-PGD-PGV-LNY-CSG-SCK-PSM-EAT-SMX-DXZ-ENV-PBG-PPG-SPS-MVY-DLG-AKN-DHN-BRW-ABY-HOM-VLD-SCC-GRI-GTR-GUC-ORH-OTH-ROW-BFI-HVN-DBQ-PUW-FNL-BTM-MKG-ALW-TWF-BQK-CRQ-GCC-GRO-BLV-LMT-DUT-TXK-PLN-RHI-COD-PIH-RKS-EKO-CMX-TNI-SUX-IPT-MOD-CIC-ABR-ALO-BJI-GGG-VQS-PGA-STC-DTW-MIA-MSP-SEA-PHL-BOS-DCA.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
That looks pretty cool in greatcircle mapper, the entire CONUS is blotted out by airport codes.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:16 am

Who flies nonstop HNL-TPA?

Originally Posted by cbn42
Last month I wanted to get from IAD to DCA, so I booked IAD-ATL-ORD-LAX-DFW-DEN-JFK-LAS-IAH-SFO-PHX-CLT-EWR-MCO-LGA-FLL-BWI-SLC-HNL-TPA-MDW-SAN-PDX-STL-MCI-MEM-CVG-RDU-CLE-OAK-BNA-SJU-SMF-HOU-PIT-SNA-AUS-MSY-IND-SJC-SAT-MKE-DAL-RSW-PBI-ABQ-CMH-BDL-JAX-BUF-OGG-ONT-PVD-ANC-BUR-RNO-OMA-TUS-OKC-MHT-ORF-RIC-GEG-SDF-TUL-BOI-ELP-LGB-BHM-ALB-ROC-KOA-GUM-LIH-DAY-CHS-GRR-SYR-LIT-ISP-COS-SAV-SFB-HPN-DSM-PWM-GSO-TYS-ICT-SGF-PNS-SRQ-PSP-BTV-MSN-CAK-MYR-GSP-AVL-ITO-MDT-JAN-HSV-STT-FAT-CAE-XNA-ACY-FNT-LBB-PHF-MLI-ILM-CID-GPT-LEX-MAF-GSN-FAI-BIL-IWA-GRB-TLH-AMA-SWF-ABE-SBA-BTR-VPS-HRL-FSD-PIE-EUG-SBN-BGR-BZN-MFE-JNU-CRP-FAR-GCN-ROA-JAC-CHA-BVU-MSO-MFR-DAB-FWA-BLI-MOB-BMI-RAP-ATW-PIA-GRK-CRW-PSC-BQN-SHV-RDM-EYW-LFT-AVP-LAN-ASE-EGE-GJT-TRI-FAY-ACK-MGM-EVV-MRY-GPI-TVC-AEX-BIS-AGS-CHO-STX-AZO-MBS-CWA-RST-IDA-DLH-MLB-BET-GTF-LNK-GNV-HDN-DRO-UNV-SBP-OAJ-BGM-ERI-HYA-IFP-LRD-BFL-LSE-EWN-PSE-ELM-MLU-KTN-RFD-TOL-ACV-STS-ITH-MKK-GFK-ENA-MTJ-CMI-HLN-BRO-FSM-HTS-NYL-ADQ-HXD-LAW-TYR-CPR-ABI-CLL-MOT-YKM-VGT-UTA-SBY-LCH-FLO-SIT-LWS-SUN-OTZ-FLG-SPI-ACT-OME-SAW-SJT-LYH-RDD-PGD-PGV-LNY-CSG-SCK-PSM-EAT-SMX-DXZ-ENV-PBG-PPG-SPS-MVY-DLG-AKN-DHN-BRW-ABY-HOM-VLD-SCC-GRI-GTR-GUC-ORH-OTH-ROW-BFI-HVN-DBQ-PUW-FNL-BTM-MKG-ALW-TWF-BQK-CRQ-GCC-GRO-BLV-LMT-DUT-TXK-PLN-RHI-COD-PIH-RKS-EKO-CMX-TNI-SUX-IPT-MOD-CIC-ABR-ALO-BJI-GGG-VQS-PGA-STC-DTW-MIA-MSP-SEA-PHL-BOS-DCA.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by xxtraloud
is it possible to book these flights without using any of the specialized tools like the krv? i am familiar with the ITA matrix software
I would like to know this too.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:45 am

I ended up with SEA-YVR-YYZ-HKG-NRT-GUM-SPN-ICN-HKG-YVR-SEA. Paid ticket to HKG and award from there to GUM. The thing is that the intention wasn't to do a crazy routing, but rather to minimize cost. When a flight cancellation resulted in really poor timings in HKG, routing through YYZ actually was my most convenient option.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Sure you did, we all believe you. Not.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:13 am

Has anyone priced this yet?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
on a single ticket?

18750 BD miles + $500 in cash/tax/surcharges

NOU-AKL-LAX(stop)-FRA-IST-GYD-ASB
Old Apr 20, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Cool

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I recently changed a BKK-CDG direct to BKK-NRT-ZRH-CDG after my proposed BKK-TPE-PVG-ZRH-CDG routing fell apart, and while contemplating how to get from CDG-JFK earlier this morning, I decided that of course, the best way would be CDG-ZRH-JNB-CPT-JNB-GRU-SCL-EZE-IAD-JFK. So, since we all like to travel and fly, what's the most out of the way routing you've put together to avoid a simple direct flight?
IST-FRA-LHR on lh -LHR-YVR-YYZ-SYD-YVR-YUL-LHR on AC and then LHR ZRH BCN...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:08 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
DAY-LGA done DAY-ORD-LAX-SFO-LAX-CLE-LGA

Not as impressive as sbm12's exploits, but in % terms it may be (the flown distance was over 800% longer than the non-stop: 5131mi vs. 549mi on the n/s). The cost differential was quite small.

Also did DAY-JFK as DAY-ORD-LAX-CLD-LAX-JFK.

These were segment runs (though I actually had to get to NYC from DAY). The reason the segments were so long was so that I could get actual work done in the process. I missed one upgrade each time: LAX-SFO and ORD-LAX (#1 on the list).

Last edited by ralfp; Apr 20, 2012 at 3:28 pm
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Are we talking indirect routings for mileage runs or indirect routings for travel you actually had to take for non-MR purposes? Big difference between those two scenarios.

Not counting MRs, some that come to mind for me:

DFW-MSP-ATL-SJU (Wanted to fly DL, not AA, and the double-connect via MSP & ATL was cheaper than a single connect over ATL)

DFW-SAT-DFW-SEA (Cheaper to combine a DFW-SAT OW with a SAT-SEA OW than to fly nonstop DFW-SEA)

HPN-ATL-DFW-SLC-LAS (Already had LAS vacation booked but had client business in HPN pop up on short notice. Easier to just combine existing DFW-LAS booking with new HPN-DFW ticket)
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Same airline that flies nonstop from Molokai to Grand Forks, ND.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Instead of BOS-FCO-BOS

Drove to PBG

PBG-BOS-DCA-CLT-BTR-CLT-MLB-CLT-PHL-MUC-FCO-CLT-YOW-YUL

bus back to PBG
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Oh, sorry, there was a stop at LAX which I forgot to list.

Originally Posted by sparkchaser
Has anyone priced this yet?
My employer paid, so I didn't pay attention to the price. But I did collect 554,285 miles and got top tier status on several airlines
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I used to put together great ones when I was going from college in AZ to see my family in the east. Some of the better ones were:

PHX-ORD-MCI-DFW-SNA-JFK

RDU-ORD-PDX-GEG-SEA-PHX

Also, when coming back from Florida once I used two VDB vouchers to go:

JAX-DFW-SNA-SFO-LAX-PHX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.