Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Give up your first class seat for someone in the military?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent

I saw this story - http://www.chron.com/news/nation-wor...rs-1987156.php

Candidly I've never considered it. I normally don't pay attention to who is on the flight. I want to board early, get situated quickly, and start reading. I'll admit that there are days where I wouldn't give up my first class seat to my own mother (I assume we've all had days like that) but certainly there are times where flying coach is more palatable.

So from now on I'll be more aware. Perhaps you should too??????
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
It's a nice sentiment but no thanks. Not until we see people giving up their seats to hospice workers, school teachers, first responders, and any number of other "deserving" people who don't get to fly up-front most days. If this individual wanted to do something nice for a soldier, more power to him. I just don't feel obliged to follow suit.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat, LH Freq Traveller
I've given up my seats to random people before who probably haven't done anything for society. I'd give up my seat. It's just a cushy spot for a few hour flight. No big deal.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:14 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
I would be more apt to give up my F-class seat for an Occupy Wall Street activist or a conscientious objector...
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

The new home for this thread is now the TravelBuzz! forum, as the topic has absolutely nothing to do with Delta Air Lines or the Delta SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:16 pm

I think I normally sit next to them up front anyway...
I have given my seat up for a soldier before, especially when I hear something about how they are on their way home. I love seeing their face. Priceless.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The new home for this thread is now the TravelBuzz! forum, as the topic has absolutely nothing to do with Delta Air Lines or the Delta SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum

Thank you. Yes off topic. Such human interest stories are best suited for Facebook posts, in my opinion.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:10 pm

I don't agree with the hero worship of military members that is all too common these days.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
I don't agree with the hero worship of military members that is all too common these days.
One does not need to worship them to recognize that they are doing a job that is highly dangerous, extremely demanding upon their families, and for much lower pay than you or I might choose to do it for. Rather than worship them, you might simply choose to thank them.
GoodFastOrCheap likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DJGMaster1
One does not need to worship them to recognize that they are doing a job that is highly dangerous, extremely demanding upon their families, and for much lower pay than you or I might choose to do it for. Rather than worship them, you might simply choose to thank them.
Like everyone, they have made the choice to do this job. Police, fire all have a dangerous position. But they decide what they want to do in life. I have had brain tumor (let the jokes begin ), or you may have had a medical issues. Why not give it to you then? You did not decide to have the problem.

If you are getting first cause you paid for it or because of status, you earned it! Keep it!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:28 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Harlem
So from now on I'll be more aware. Perhaps you should too??????
You may be encouraging the serviceman/woman to violate policy. Not that this is enforced; I witnessed a violation of this policy by an officer a week ago.

ARMY POLICY: Members may not travel in any premium class (first class or business class) while in uniform, even if they pay for the upgrade with personal frequent flyer miles
Reference (see page 18).

An acquaintance of mine (USAF officer) said that he was told that he could not fly in first while wearing a uniform and that the way he got into first (miles, $, free, etc.) was irrelevant . Therefore he made sure to avoid flying while in uniform (to get elite upgrades).
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
By that reasoning, one would be giving up seats for cops, firefighters,, etc. All of whom arguably deserve it more than any member of a military.

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
So do cops, firefighters, social workers (my sister has been shot at in her job as social worker), paramedics and many more. We should be thanking all of these folks, not just military folks!

FWIW many military personnel will turn down the offer of an upgrade as a military person in uniform in first class can be mis-interpreted by a casual observer as a waste of taxpayer money. Some turn it down because they say they're not in the military to get special treatment.

At any rate, if you really want to show support for the troops, I think there's many better ways. Perhaps go volunteer at your local VA hospital. On your way, drop off a couple of pizzas to your local fire department.
Suspended

Originally Posted by FLgrr
Like everyone, they have made the choice to do this job. Police, fire all have a dangerous position. But they decide what they want to do in life. I have had brain tumor (let the jokes begin ), or you may have had a medical issues. Why not give it to you then? You did not decide to have the problem.

If you are getting first cause you paid for it or because of status, you earned it! Keep it!
Originally Posted by rankourabu
By that reasoning, one would be giving up seats for cops, firefighters,, etc. All of whom arguably deserve it more than any member of a military.
I wasn't referring to the specific act of giving up one's first class seat. I was referring to the more general act of thanking those folks, for the job that they do, with it's inherent risks and sacrifices, for little compensation, which allows the rest of us to live in a more carefree manner. Personally, I fly coach when it's on my dime.

And yes, teachers, firefighters, police officers, and social workers are also worthy of our thanks, for doing jobs that are under-compensated relative to their importance for society. Investment bankers, not so much.
GoodFastOrCheap likes this.

Last edited by DJGMaster1; Dec 23, 2011 at 2:37 pm
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Hasn't this topic already been beat to death?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...man-woman.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgrades.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...f-you-can.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...te-flyers.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.