Wiki Posts
Search

First time TATLing, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

First time TATLing, what to expect?

Hey there.

After cancelling a TPAC trip to Australia earlier this year, partly due to a leg injury I suffered, and partly due to: I didn't have the guts to fly that far and travel alone, I have finally decided to but the bullet and do a European tour solo. I booked my ticket a week before departure (this Thurs), so I haven't really had the chance to let the anxiety build this time.

So, I am not the most composed flyer, but I feel like I should be fine on this trip, but I have questions for anyone who can help. So what can I expect on a TATL flight? I am flying Air Canada economy. I got a window seat because I like sleeping against the wall.

The flight departs from MTL around 8 PM and arrives LHR around 8 AM.

So what route will this plane likely take?
Are there areas I can expect turbulence?
Does the plane make a lot of course changes over the ocean or is it pretty much a straight line?
What can I expect in terms of daylight? It will get dark pretty fast since I'm going east, but it will also probably start to get light again soon after right? I hate flying at night, it makes me think of AF447.
Do they give out free pillows and blankets?
My doctor will give me Ativan or Imovane if I want it for the flight. Has anyone taken this and if so which one would you recommend to keep me mostly assleep?

Thanx fellow FTers!! I'm sooooo excited.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marktwothousand

Does the plane make a lot of course changes over the ocean or is it pretty much a straight line?
Routes change every day, depending on the winds and other factors, but you can see tracking of actual flights from Montreal to London here:

http://flightaware.com/live/findflight/CYUL/EGLL/

I've never noticed any consistent areas of turbulence over the North Atlantic.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nerd
I've never noticed any consistent areas of turbulence over the North Atlantic.
I have, right around Halifax as we depart from NYC towards Europe. It is usually in the middle of the dinner service and I have to be bvery careful not to spill my wine.

Regarding drugs, I strongly recommend trying out whatever you're going to go with on the ground at home so you can figure out whatever interactions might happen before you're cooped up in a metal tube flying across the ocean.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: EK Siver, Dusit Gold, Cycling Proficiency Test, Tufty Club Member and Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
"Do they give out free pillows and blankets?"

you bet, and I think they tuck you in as well
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
You'll be fine. Actually, I find the service on AC is generally pretty good. You'll at least get some free wine with your meal, unlike on US carriers.

The flight isn't even that long, so you won't have too much time to sleep in between dinner and breakfast.

If you get antsy, remember you can get up and walk back to ask the crew members for another drink or whatever. Sometimes it's also good to just stretch your legs and get out of your seat.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:14 pm

You'll have a few hours of darkness. On the way back, assuming you leave Europe in the morning, it will be light the entire way.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:16 pm

I'm not an extremely frequent flyer either, but at the same time, my perspective may be helpful to you for that precise reason.. In any case, here's my 2 cents -

That's a good flight for one's first time TATLing because it's very short compared to other flights! I know it's easier said than done, but try not to stress ahead of time. I fly that route reasonably often and I find that most flights tend to be quiet, civilized and comfortable, very low-key. Actually, now that I think of it, that's probably the one TATL flight I'd recommend for someone in your situation - much less stressful and noisy than flights to France, that's for sure! YUL is very easy to navigate, and it's a pretty low-key and familiar airport also. Obviously it'll still be stressful for you, but the good news is that, as far as outside stress factors go, it's a great, quiet flight to have picked.

With that being said, yes, it'll get dark fairly quickly, and the flight attendants will go around and make sure all blinds are closed. The blinds will remain closed for most of the flight. Also, don't expect the flight attendants to be helpful or sympathetic to your plight in any shape or form. It's very hit or miss - I've had some very kind ones, but more often than not, they were completely unfriendly and unhelpful. You might have a pleasant surprise, but don't expect to rely on them.

The food ranges from disgusting to okay, so if that bothers you, it could help to bring in some kind of snack? I know it sounds babyish, but I personally love having my tin of Pringles that I take out when I get really bored during the flight, it's almost comforting. Additionally, if planning ahead helps with your anxiety, Air Canada has a tool that lets you see what movies will be available for your flight - you could spot some that you've been wanting to see and specifically wait until your flight to watch them. Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:31 pm

You have no real sense of the plane changing direction or anything like that. It follows a great circle -- more or less -- which goes out over Northern Quebec and then across the Atlantic near or even over Greenland depending on the winds. But in my experience there's always high altitude clouds below you and there's nothing to see.

In the summer it'll be light outside for most of the flight but experienced fliers close the window shades pretty much immediately and go to sleep as soon as they can. They might even be annoyed at you for opening your blinds after the lights are off and the cabin would be dark otherwise. One open blind is enough to light up the whole cabin and make it harder to sleep. Some people even eat before the flight and go to sleep as soon as the seat belt light is off ignoring the food. That's probably the wisest option if you can do it but I never can manage it.

I suggest ignoring the free wine btw. Alcohol will make it harder to sleep and make you less comfortable. The air is very dry and alcohol will dehydrate you further which can give you headaches. Also the cabin temperature is often a point of contention and alcohol will make you more sensitive to it.

Also incidentally I find eating the breakfast too soon after waking up makes me feel ill. especially if it's just as the plane is starting to descend and hitting even light turbulence. I recommend waiting 10-15 minutes after waking up before eating any of the breakfast.

Taking the window seat is wise imho, especially if you don't often have to use the toilet. The person next to you might not be so sedate. Make sure to use it before they go to sleep though. And whenever they're up is a good time for you to get up and stretch your legs without having to bother them.

Landing in London is a hassle. lots of walking, then more walking, just follow the crowd. Expect the immigration queues to be long and you'll be pleasantly surprised if you're lucky and they're not. After baggage go through the green aisle (unless you have anything you owe duty on)

If you're bold you might ask here if anyone has a MLL lounge pass to spare for the arrivals lounge in LHR for a shower if you don't have a hotel to head to in the morning. Or MLL on departure from LHR. I wouldn't bother with it in YUL. But don't hold out too much hope, they don't expire until February.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
First off, relax. TATLs are just long enough to be uncomfortable, but not miserable.

Flying at night will probably bring a sunrise over Ireland. Flying at night had nothing to do with what happened to AF, so don't sweat that.

Load up a tablet with some movies or books, or use the IFE to distract yourselk.

Personally I wouldn't do Ativan or any other sleep aid or anti-anxiety med on a flight this short. I think you are going to be gorked out from arriving at what will probably be past your bedtime back in Canada.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Most likely, NNE from Montreal, just under the tip of Greenland, over Ireland and into London.
No specific area but it can come up anywhere. In my experience most turbulence over the Atlantic is short term in duration
Pretty much a straight line if you look at it on a globe. Looks curved on a flat map.
What can I expect in terms of daylight? It will get dark pretty fast since I'm going east, but it will also probably start to get light again soon after right?
It will be a short night. When you take off at 8pm it will be 1am in the UK. You'll have a long day on the way home.
Yes IIRC.
My doctor will give me Ativan or Imovane if I want it for the flight. Has anyone taken this and if so which one would you recommend to keep me mostly asleep?
I've used both. Of the two I like Imovane (aka Zopiclone) because it lets you sleep. Ativan is better for a nervous flier IMO.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
This -

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=yul-lhr

Yes.

The plane may also have soft interior 'mood lighting' which will change color during the 'evening' and 'morning' - It's supposed to help your body adjust to the time change.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I suggest ignoring the free wine btw. Alcohol will make it harder to sleep and make you less comfortable.

I suggest the opposite. Red Wine = deeper sleep.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
My doctor will give me Ativan or Imovane if I want it for the flight. Has anyone taken this and if so which one would you recommend to keep me mostly assleep?
You didn't mention if you've ever tried one of these before, but if not, an airline flight is not the time to be experimenting with them.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Wow, I appreciate the responses! Thanks a lot. A part of me is hoping my YTZ-YUL flight will get delayed or cancelled, as island flights often do, and to accommodate me getting to London, maybe AC will have to rebook me on a direct executive class flight out of Pearson... one can dream.

Additional Question: if I get offered an LMUP premium economy upgrade, approx how much do they cost and Are they worth it?
If I get a LMUP on executive, is it worth it?

So, for a first time TATLer, these are my main takeaways from this discussion:
- If you get antsy, remember you can get up and walk back to ask the crew members for another drink or whatever. Sometimes it's also good to just stretch your legs and get out of your seat.
Response: Yeah, sometimes I actually like to go back and chat with the FAs, to order a drink, and just see how their shift is going. It helps calm me down, and usually the ladies enjoy speaking with a charmer like myself.
- You'll have a few hours of darkness. On the way back, assuming you leave Europe in the morning, it will be light the entire way.
Response: I am going to try to get a full sleep so that I can function in London ASAP.
- That's a good flight for one's first time TATLing because it's very short compared to other flights! I know it's easier said than done, but try not to stress ahead of time. I fly that route reasonably often and I find that most flights tend to be quiet, civilized and comfortable, very low-key.
Response: I guess because this whole trip was mostly last minute, the only stress was the question of "whether I'd go". Now that that's set, I'm mostly looking forward to the ride.
- The food ranges from disgusting to okay, so if that bothers you, it could help to bring in some kind of snack? I know it sounds babyish, but I personally love having my tin of Pringles that I take out when I get really bored during the flight, it's almost comforting. Additionally, if planning ahead helps with your anxiety, Air Canada has a tool that lets you see what movies will be available for your flight - you could spot some that you've been wanting to see and specifically wait until your flight to watch them. Enjoy your trip! Some people even eat before the flight and go to sleep as soon as the seat belt light is off ignoring the food. That's probably the wisest option if you can do it but I never can manage it.
Response: there are actually a few good movies going right now I noticed! I would like to try eating at the terminal and then passing out immediately on the plane, but as you said, its sometimes easier said than done.
- If you're bold you might ask here if anyone has a MLL lounge pass to spare for the arrivals lounge in LHR for a shower if you don't have a hotel to head to in the morning. Or MLL on departure from LHR. I wouldn't bother with it in YUL. But don't hold out too much hope, they don't expire until February.
Response: How much do the MLL passes sell for from flyertalkers typically?
- Do they give out free pillows and blankets? - Yes IIRC.
Response: I will be asking for these!!
- I've used both. Of the two I like Imovane (aka Zopiclone) because it lets you sleep. Ativan is better for a nervous flier IMO.
I think I'll probably the Ativan before hopping on the YTZ-YUL flight (those Q400s can have turbulent take offs and landings...oh my nerves, my nerves!) and then half an Imovane (the blue ones) on the LHR flight. I guess I should probably avoid the glass of wine...? Hehehe. And yes, I have taken them before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.