Wiki Posts
Search

Open a bank account with B1 Visa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Open a bank account with B1 Visa

Hi,
(Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I could only find this one)
I am visiting the US for 3 months and have a B1/B2 visa. I don't have an SSN. I want to open a bank account to keep some of my money and to get a local Credit card to make purchases(otherwise I'm charged nearly 4.1 % above exchange rate, and keeping changes is cumbersome). I'm in NYC. Can someone please let me know which bank to go to that will allow me to open an account with SSN. Various resources on internet say that it possible but none name the bank.

Thanks,
ChasKramer
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Plat
Bank of america
Chase
Citi
Bring passport, proof of residency abroad. Utility bill, drivers license.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
If you are in the US for only 3 months, good luck getting a credit card. Very few banks, if any, would approve a non-resident for a credit card.

Why don't you use a pre-paid card instead. Avoids the change issue and no need for a credit check or bank account
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:26 pm

You should be able to open checking account with debit card with no problem.
Good luck with getting the credit card! I'm 99% sure it won't be possible.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 2:42 pm

You can go to any bank with your passport and they will be able to open an account for you and you will get a debit card in mail which you can use as a credit on all the locations which accept credit cards to save you the hefty ATM charges.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 4:21 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

You will be able to get a checking account with no problem. You will not be able to get a credit card without a social security number, but most checking accounts come with debit cards that work through the credit card networks (Visa or MasterCard) and can be used everywhere that those credit cards are accepted.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:31 am

I was not allowed to open up a bank account until I got my SSN, and some banks still require that I bring my social security card due to it being issued so recently and may impose extra waiting times (30 days) for verification.

I was probably not trying hard enough if everybody here says that it is possible (and it probably varies by bank as well as who you interact with), but don't expect the process to be easy as you may need to shop around. And if you don't get the answer you want you may have better luck at a different branch of the same bank.

Also, it took me a bit over a year after receiving my SSN until I was approved for my first credit card.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You don't say where home is, but will presume for these purposes that you bank at major institution at home. Major foreign banks all have branches in NY and you can ask your bank at home to open for you or provide the appropriate paperwork to allow you to open a US$ account & possibly credit card.

You also don't say why you will be in NY for 90 days. If it's business, the business you are working for will almost certainly have a US banking relationship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.