Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I won the "trip to anywhere in the world" (up to $20k)! So...where should we go?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I won the "trip to anywhere in the world" (up to $20k)! So...where should we go?!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: Virtuoso
I would go to Bora Bora and makes sure you are in an over water bungalo. 5 days is not much time at all to go somewhere far and exotic. If you extended on your own, you will have the hassle of moving hotels (assuming you didn't want to spend the same as your allotted price) and other inconveniences.

Have fun and CONGRATS!! That is fantastic!!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My understanding is that you want a place where you won't be paying a lot of your own money for F&B, which means a luxurious all inclusive. I think this eliminates Amans (except for the boat idea) as their meals (breakfast can probably be included) would be expensive, although you could save money by eating elsewhere in Bali. Five days might be a reasonable amount of time to explore and enjoy Bali.

I like the idea of over-sea suites, for example in the Maldives, but again AFAIK you would have to pay a lot for meals unless you can find some that offer at least half-board plans.

The most luxurious and exclusive all-inclusive that comes to mind is the resort at Bedara Isalnd in Australia, on the Great Barrier Reef. Their rates include French champagne 24/7 and start at about $1000 per person per night, so a top suite would be in about the right price range. IIRC, this place is essentially a private island with about 16 units and about five beaches, although I think they do tend do charge extra (packages?) for activities involving boats with motors.

It wouldn't be super-cheap, but you could visit other places in Australia on your own money after.

Look for airlines that will allow you to get an upgrade somehow. Will they pay for full Y or only the cheapest fare? You have some time to acquire status and miles before the trip.

ADDED: Another way to have lots of food and drinks included in the hotel room price is to look for Ritz-Carlton club level rooms, maybe two different RCs that are close to each other for the five days. The lounge has five food presentations daily and even pretty good alcoholic drinks (French champagne, at least VSOP cognac and usually better, drinkable wines) are included for free. Along the same lines, certain Asian hotel lounges are very generous, but usually only during restricted early evening hours.

Would private cooking lessons in a French or Italian chateau interest you? These include dinners and for lunch, you eat what you cook.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 20, 2011 at 10:33 am
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
UPDATE: Biz class OR 7 days allowed, as long as we stay under budget!

Subject line says it all....heard back from the travel folks on my questions and they said they are willing to extend the hotel to 7 days OR fly us business class AS LONG AS we don't exceed the $20k.

I LOVE the ideas that have come through in the last 24 hours. Bedara Island, over water bungalows at the Four Seasons....hell yes! SanDiego1k, your ideas are perfect. My only comment is that I thought of Easter Island early on and someone who has been said it's a bunch of rocks. So I don't know....but Maldives and private game reserves are definitely on the list.

So, feel free to keep the ideas coming. We won't take it until 2012 so we are going to marinate on this for some time and I suspect in the end I will just print out this whole thread later this year for the boyfriend to talk it over (I handle all the travel and he is not on flyertalk!).
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BettyKat
I will just print out this whole thread later this year for the boyfriend to talk it over
This changes everything.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:29 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
How about the Palace Hotel in Sun City and then the (day) safari package, horseback safari and the champagne (breakfast or sunset) hot air balloon package. I think you'll need to see if the travel agent can find a tour that offers all those bits inclusive with the bus tour transfer (so you get fed at cool restaurants along the way). This can all be done in roughly 5/6 days plus 2 for the bus travel & stops along the way. Much faster than an actual luxury camp safari (but not as romantic) There are plenty of high-end sculptures, artwork, jewellery and exotic leather products to purchase in the Sun City complex.

The hotel itself is an African-themed, Trump-esque, Dubai-styled gaudy but cool nonetheless hotel of marble, gilt and crystal, all in an African-theme park complex situated right outside a national park.

Also, if you're interested in rail vacations, The Palace on Wheels (specifically the Royal Rajasthan 7nite/8day version and in the Super Deluxe stateroom for the larger bathroom). It runs on average $5,700@ - $6700@ for the both of you, not inclusive of tax or high season surcharges. Add first class ticket and roughly puts you in the $16,000 - $20,000 range depending on your air ticket. There are a few side trips along this tour but not really opportunity to purchase high-end item along the way.

Not sure if Amex includes your transfer/travel days into the total count.

Good luck and let us know what you finally decide!

oops here are the links:
http://www.sun-city-south-africa.com...-the-lost-city
http://www.sun-city-south-africa.com/packages

http://palacetours.net/Tours-Royal%2...%20on%20Wheels

Last edited by tcl; Jun 20, 2011 at 12:39 pm Reason: forgot to add links
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Subject line says it all....heard back from the travel folks on my questions and they said they are willing to extend the hotel to 7 days OR fly us business class AS LONG AS we don't exceed the $20k.
Interesting.

Since this is Flyertalk, I'd take the 7 nights option and purchase an upgradeable fare and upgrade to business with miles. ^

Depends where you go of course, but for 2 pax booking in advance upgrades to J or even F shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:15 pm

two more nights wouldn't be worth to have to spend twice R/T upgrades with miles, that's a lot of "value" the OP would have to pay. Plus it wouldn't be guaranteeed, blabla.

I would go with the Business + 5 nights option. Go somewhere the routing would allow (or are you allowed to book yourself?) only the best product (like A380 on SQ or EK) and then book a very nice AI resort.

Actually, Maldives with a nice AI package (I guess that's possible to book?) come in mind.. or any other "exclusive" place where booking AI and a nice routing would be possible. Even with a full C fare of 5000$ per person, it would leave 10k$ for 5 nights - plenty for a very nice AI place, I'd think.

Awwwwww, I'm envying the OP so much
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
two more nights wouldn't be worth to have to spend twice R/T upgrades with miles, that's a lot of "value" the OP would have to pay. Plus it wouldn't be guaranteeed, blabla.
You can guarantee it if you plan properly, and it needn't cost that many miles. It sounds like the OP has time to plan. And of course flying business is not really an end in itself, the trip is the raison d'etre.

Even with a full C fare of 5000$ per person, it would leave 10k$ for 5 nights - plenty for a very nice AI place, I'd think.
Two points:
* $5k per person is not a full C fare. EWR-SIN in J is $7100 + $600ish in taxes, or $8700 + taxes in C on SQ.
* $10k on flights gets you half-decent food and wine in a flying coffin, while on the ground $10k buys you one hell of a party. If you really can't find anything to spend the $20k on, use any surplus on flights but I think the ground-based experience has to be prioritised. The OP seems pretty good at taking an opportunity and there will be opportunities in the future to fly J/F for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by meester69; Jun 21, 2011 at 6:12 am
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meester69
Interesting.

Since this is Flyertalk, I'd take the 7 nights option and purchase an upgradeable fare and upgrade to business with miles. ^

Depends where you go of course, but for 2 pax booking in advance upgrades to J or even F shouldn't be a problem.
this is my gut reaction as well, try for an upgradeable fare and take the 7 nights. man i'd like 2 more nights at the four seasons bora bora, private game reserve, you name it.....
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
This changes everything.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Forthose of you who have been to Africa and/or Bora Bora....

....what is the best time of year to go?

We have until May 16, 2012 to complete the trip.

Google indicates Bora Bora is best in April or May (says heat/humidity of summer are over but it's before heavy tourists in July, August, etc.). I didn't bother to google "Africa" in the same way but my guess is that July/August are the best months to go there (for a private game reserve)....which would knock it into the #2 spot I think, given that it means we'd have to go at a "bad" time (i.e., we do not have the ability to go later than May 16 next year).

Regards,
Katherine
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:25 am

....what is the best time of year to go?

We have until May 16, 2012 to complete the trip.

Google indicates Bora Bora is best in April or May (says heat/humidity of summer are over but it's before heavy tourists in July, August, etc.). I didn't bother to google "Africa" in the same way but my guess is that July/August are the best months to go there (for a private game reserve)....which would knock it into the #2 spot I think, given that it means we'd have to go at a "bad" time (i.e., we do not have the ability to go later than May 16 next year).
'Africa' is a big place.

July/August for South Africa is not really optimal, as it is a little colder than I would like. April is good.But you have to be more specific about where and what else you are going to do.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to buck the trend and say not Oz or Africa on a 5/7 day trip. Instead I would ponder:

a) Iceland (5 or so hours I think fromm NY) - I'd hire a private plane / helicopter for a tour over the volcanoes, a glacier tour by snowmobile, maybe take a boat out whale watching, visit the hot springs, ride the Icelandic horses around Fjords.

b) A trip to Churchill to see polar bears etc and do a custom tour with these guys http://www.churchillwild.com/arctic-...stom-tours.cfm

c) Possibly, and I am not sure there is enough time with flights and transfers etc, go on a cruise around the Galapagos Islands.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

see the luxury hotels forum

4 most expensive properties in the world = two $4K/nt and two $6K/nt
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Go where you want to go, not the most expensive place. Don't just go to a place because it is expensive because you have to pay tax on the prize.

One place that they would probably veto is Tristan da Cunha. That island in the South Atlantic has no airport so you have to fly to South Africa or Ascension Island and take a boat. You may need months to get there if you stay there longer than the boat that drops you off.

How about Falkland Islands via UK or Chile?

Nauru is a bit difficult to get to. How about Yap Island? Timor Leste is expensive but maybe there is nothing to see.

Timbucktu, Mali? Not enough to see?

Pitcairn Island? Also not enough to see and no airport. South Georgia is the same thing. Faroe Islands? Maybe (for me).

Instead of Tahiti, how about Tonga? Or Norfolk Island? Or Easter Island?

My recommendations are in bold but also consider the non-bolded places, particularly the places in italics.

Last edited by Cattle Airlines; Jul 13, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.