Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Selfish passengers not wanting to switch seats.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Do you think a passenger is selfish in this situation: my girlfriend was sitting at a window seat in the business class section where the seats are criss-cross to one another. I wanted to sit next to her in the isle seat: However, there was a large barrier present which was not seen on the seat map when booking. I, and three different flight attendants asked the man (who had a window seat) sitting next to me if he could move to the other side of the plane (also a window seat) so that my girlfriend and I could sit next to each other. He refused stating that he always likes to sit in this particular seat. I called the man an A..hole and was told by the FA that the airline does not tolerate insulting language by passengers. Do you think the passenger was selfish not to change seats in this situation or was I wrong? Can someone be removed from a plane for what I said or if I had argued with the FA or repeated saying to her that the man was an A..hole.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The selfish passenger is the one who think they are entitled to seats which others has reserved for personal reasons and then calling them names when their demand is not met.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
In my opinion, yes, the passenger was selfish, however, it is his right and his seat. He may have booked that specific seat many months ago and made sure he was in it. He was probably thinking to him self that you were the A-hole that didnt research their seat prior to getting on the plane then expecting anyone to bow to their needs at the last minute. I am not saying what the guy did was right, I would have been pissed myself, but it is his right.

I wanted to add though, that he should have moved for you and your girlfriend as a matter of human kindness. He was being moved to an identical seat just on the other side of the plane. If you were asking him to give up a window for a middle or aisle seat then I can understand or even if you were wanting him to move towards the rear of the plane as well, but you werent. Anyways, its is right. Karma is a beaotch though, some people will have to deal with it later I presume.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Originally Posted by bubie
Do you think a passenger is selfish in this situation: ...
Yes, a passenger is selfish in that situation.

You.

[Inappropriately personalized comments deleted by moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 1, 2011 at 8:13 am
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: AA PLT
Do you think a passenger is selfish in this situation: my girlfriend was sitting at a window seat in the business class section where the seats are criss-cross to one another. I wanted to sit next to her in the isle seat: However, there was a large barrier present which was not seen on the seat map when booking. I, and three different flight attendants asked the man (who had a window seat) sitting next to me if he could move to the other side of the plane (also a window seat) so that my girlfriend and I could sit next to each other. He refused stating that he always likes to sit in this particular seat. I called the man an A..hole and was told by the FA that the airline does not tolerate insulting language by passengers. Do you think the passenger was selfish not to change seats in this situation or was I wrong? Can someone be removed from a plane for what I said or if I had argued with the FA or repeated saying to her that the man was an A..hole.
Yes - there is a selfish passenger on the plane. Sad to say ... it's you.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
You picked a bad situation for your first post on FT. If you had bothered to lurk for a while, you would have found no/little sympathy here for your situation. Battle field requests do not equate to rights. The FA in this case was correct is her stance and properly put you in your place. Good for her.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
The selfish passenger is the one who think they are entitled to seats which others has reserved for personal reasons and then calling them names when their demand is not met.
Agreed. You shouldn't bother other passengers to change seats in the first
place. Other passengers reserve the seats they prefer for reasons that are equally important to them. Your desire to sit by your companion does not trump another passenger's right to be left in peace. To call somebody an A-word becase he wouldn't move was beyond rude.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1P, GlobalEntry, StarwoodPlat
I don't think he was being selfish. It seems to me that you were being selfish. Why is it selfish for someone to want the seat they reserved? I reserve the same seat on every plane type (nervous flyer @100k+ miles/yr haha... anyway I like the consistency) and book far enough in advance to make sure I get it. Why should I change seats to accomodate your desire? Would it have been nice had the person moved? Sure....but it's his seat and the choice is his.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:45 am
Original Poster

selfish passengers

I am just amazed at most of the replies. If any of you had been on a plane with your girlfriend or boyfriend, would you not want to sit next to him or her. Obviously you would. This is not a selfish request but rather a normal request. Would not all of you been angry at a passenger that refused, for no logical reason, to move to the exact same seat on the opposite side of the plane. If your answer is no, you would not have been angry, then I believe you are all hippocrites.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:47 am

Obvious troll post, and no way this actually happened.

You called someone sitting next to you an A-hole? Nice. Good thing you did that on the aircraft - do that somewhere else and you might catch a whipping you'll never forget.

Unbelievable, some people.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
How can someone be selfish for wanting to sit in the seat they specifically selected months ago? Why even bother to select seats then if you're expected to move as soon as someone demands your seat so they could sit next to your girlfriend.

I'm surprised that you weren't asked to leave the aircraft because if you came across an FA who had a short fuse, they could have claimed you threatened another passenger with your language and asked the captain to ask you to move - off the aircraft. Then would the pilot have been selfish because he didn't want you on his plane just as the passenger didn't want you in his preselected seat?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:53 am
Original Poster

selfish passenger

To mrhills0146, no one should respond to words they don't like with physical violence. If anyone laid a hand on me just because they did not like what I said, then I would bash their head in.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
I am just amazed at most of the replies. If any of you had been on a plane with your girlfriend or boyfriend, would you not want to sit next to him or her. Obviously you would. This is not a selfish request but rather a normal request. Would not all of you been angry at a passenger that refused, for no logical reason, to move to the exact same seat on the opposite side of the plane. If your answer is no, you would not have been angry, then I believe you are all hippocrites.
Angry? No, most would not be angry enough to call someone a a-hole. Disappointed? Of course. Maybe we would have tried to explore another option and if you gave a more compelling reason such as celebrating a special event or something you would have garnered more sympathy from another passenger willing to help.

Not all seats are created equal. A window for a window is common but there may be a reason he didn't want to leave his seat. Was he settled in already? Maybe he had a long day and just didn't want to be bothered. Not defending what he did because I usually swap for same seats (never aisle for window or middle or bulkhead though) if I can help.

Curious - how often do you fly?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
From the sentence structure and punctuation (and overall troll-ness) I'm thinking this is the same poster asking on the Delta board for someone to gift them elite status...
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
The way I see it, your fellow passenger may have been selfish once, but you've definitely been an a**hole twice. The weight of the evidence isn't looking good for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.