Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: DL,EK
Meroe, Sudan.

A large collection of pyramids with nobody but us around. We camped overnight just over a small ridge (to be out of the wind) and had the entire place to ourselves.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Tarifa', Spain.

Southernmost point in Europe, right across the Straights of Gibraltar from Morocco. Just down the road from Gibraltar and one of the nicest Roman ruins I have seen.

Quite, relaxing. No real nightlife. My entire family, including teenagers just loved it. In fact, the teens want to go back.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Cappadocia in Turkey, including the underground city at Kaymakli.
+1. The caves and the hot air balloon ride were amazing, and IMO very underrated and under-publicized (but maybe that's a good thing).
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
+1. The caves and the hot air balloon ride were amazing, and IMO very underrated and under-publicized (but maybe that's a good thing).
One of the most excellent places I have ever visited. I was there in the winter with nobody else around and it was even more stunning. I hope it never becomes too popular.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Park Güell in Barcelona.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
Meteora in Greece.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:45 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
The lobby of Liberty Hotel in Boston, MA. Worth a trip to the refurbished county jail if you are in the city, and go upstairs to read the story of the place.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Cimitiere Notre Dame des Neiges in Montreal, the largest cemetery in Canada and third-largest in North America. I believe over 900,000 souls are buried here. It's located adjacent to Mont Royal Park (along the SW side of the "rock" itself), so it's a great place for a peaceful (and yet challenging) walk/hike and to learn about some great Canadian historical figures and their final resting places, and the grounds are truly beautiful/spectacular. (You can also tour the grounds by car if you're not up for the hike or have less time, but I highly recommend hoofing it if you can.)

It's also a short walk from there to St. Joseph's Oratory, one of the true splendors of Montreal and Canada.

It is also noteworthy that I am NOT Catholic...these gems are worth visiting regardless of your religious or ethnic affiliation.

Last edited by drat19; Feb 15, 2011 at 10:20 am
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I should add Wailea in Maui, during Whaling Season, overlooking Molokini.. Heaven on Earth.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:49 am

The Solar Boat by the Great Pyramid
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by alanR
The Solar Boat by the Great Pyramid
Dang, I knew I should have paid the extra money to go in there.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Karnak yet. I haven't been there but it looks amazingly mind blowing.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
When I was printing out our confirmation for a flight from Zagreb to Dubrovnik, I found a banner ad for a kayak trip around the Dubrovnik city walls. My husband and I have done river kayaking but he was 70 and just getting over some back problems. I asked him if he was up for this. Bless him, he was, even though he had to be helped in and out of the kayak and I sat in the back so I could do most of the paddling. I brought a compact camera stuck in an airtight plastic sandwich container and secured it to the kayak. Periodically I took it out and took pictures. They were spectacular even though most had my husband's head in the background! It was a highlight of the trip and one of our best excursions.

Originally Posted by travellingblade
Akshardham Temple in Delhi. Absolutely mind blowing. Sadly also very frustrating for me as a keen photographer as you are not allowed to take cameras in.
[/URL]
I agree- it would have been wonderful to have a camera!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Interior of the stone churches in Laliabela Ethiopia. Blows Petra away.

The churches are dug out of the stone ground (trenches surround them). I had seen pictures but was not prepared for the interiors. These have barrel vaulted ceilings, carved arches. They were not built, but carved from the living rock. I have no idea how anyone conceived of doing this, much less how it was accomplished. This is the most underrated place I have ever been. I urge everyone to travel there.

And if you go, the fasting menu (available on Wednesdays and Fridays and some places and times everyday) was almost everywhere quite good. Vegetarian and wonderful. My son and I did the historical circuit in Nov and Dec last year. Absolutely amazing.
Parterre likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
City of Lisbon itself.

Cheap, clean, warm, tourist friendly, friendly folks.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hearst Castle
Taking the late night tour made it very special.

The crypt in the Cappuchin church in Rome
Slightly bizarre to see so many bones, but utterly compelling

Rothenberg ob der Tauber
Picture perfect architecture.

and I'll second the Solar Boat Museum. Stunning and worth the trip even if teh pyramids weren't there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.