Why no BNA BOS nonstops?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why no BNA BOS nonstops?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Why no BNA BOS nonstops?

I've never understood why there are no nonstop flights in the BNA-BOS market. After the AA BNA hub closed, AA still kept a couple daily MD-80 flights on the route for a while. They dropped them for AE RJ flights. Then they discontinued these as well. DL tried one RJ flight per day for a while. Soon that disappeared too. Seems WN has no plans for this route.

Why is this market such a bust, I wonder.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 6P&E
I've never understood why there are no nonstop flights in the BNA-BOS market. After the AA BNA hub closed, AA still kept a couple daily MD-80 flights on the route for a while. They dropped them for AE RJ flights. Then they discontinued these as well. DL tried one RJ flight per day for a while. Soon that disappeared too. Seems WN has no plans for this route.

Why is this market such a bust, I wonder.
6P&E, nothing to do with the market. Most airlines only operate flights that originate at a hub city, to a non-hub city. As neither BNA and BOS are hubs for any airline, there is no non-stop between this city pair. Even very large volume city pairs do not necessarily have non-stops. There is no BOS-MSY non-stop either.

I wrote a blog post on hubs and routing recently. Check it out: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/unroad...-focus-cities/
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
6P&E, nothing to do with the market. Most airlines only operate flights that originate at a hub city, to a non-hub city. As neither BNA and BOS are hubs for any airline, there is no non-stop between this city pair. Even very large volume city pairs do not necessarily have non-stops. There is no BOS-MSY non-stop either.

I wrote a blog post on hubs and routing recently. Check it out: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/unroad...-focus-cities/
How do you explain these non-stop routings and the fact that they exist?

BNA-TPA
BNA-SAN
BNA-RDU
BNA-LGA
BNA-DCA
BNA-BDL
BNA-ORF
BNA-JAX

I could go on, but these are all non-hub to non-hub routings. You would think if multiple daily JAX-BNA nonstops exist, there might be a nonstop from BNA to BOS. Apparently, there is not enough demand for a non-stop and I find it curious.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by 6P&E
How do you explain these non-stop routings and the fact that they exist?

BNA-TPA
BNA-SAN
BNA-RDU
BNA-LGA
BNA-DCA
BNA-BDL
BNA-ORF
BNA-JAX

I could go on, but these are all non-hub to non-hub routings. You would think if multiple daily JAX-BNA nonstops exist, there might be a nonstop from BNA to BOS. Apparently, there is not enough demand for a non-stop and I find it curious.
Southwest has been on most of those routes for quite some time now with the exception of LGA, and in that case, AA still has a large operation at LGA to make that work and there's enough O&D traffic. If anything, Southwest has a quasi-focus city in BNA where they can flow traffic over it.

As Southwest grows BOS, they are the best bet for a return to BOS-BNA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.