Search

Possible reason behind 7kg carry-on weight limit on some airlines

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:26 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels

According to this table, an untrained 97 pound adult woman is expected to be able to lift a 31 pound barbell over her head.

On some airlines, the untrained 97 pound adult woman appears to describe most of the flight attendants. Of course, the table lists one rep maximums of weights in convenient barbell shapes, not possibly awkward or unbalanced carry-on baggage. And a flight attendant might be asked to assist more than once.

So if the airline does not want its flight attendants to be put in a position of refusing to help passengers with their carry-on baggage (looks bad from a customer service standpoint), it may impose a 7kg (about 15 pound) weight limit so that the carry-on bags are well within the ability of the flight attendants to assist.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjl

Real reason - $$$$
Old Oct 9, 2010, 9:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's been a very long time since I've seen an airplane filled up with 97 lb and under flight attendants, and they usually don't lift the carry ons any more.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA, MR, HH, SPG
I always thought that it was a combination of the max weight that the overhead bin space was designed for, and yes of course $$$$.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Real reason - $$$$
+1 ^^
Old Oct 10, 2010, 3:36 am

Exactly - $$$$$

The money it costs the airlines to pay for injuries to passengers and crew. Injuries from passenger bags is one of the most common forms of injury to passengers (where I work anyway). I can't remember where it placed last year but it was in the top 3.

Where I work assisting with hand luggage is at the discretion of the crew member, and if they do help there are certain techniques that should be followed, like using a 2nd person. My rule, if you can't lift it - neither can I (Of course with a few exceptions - I'd never expect my grandma to reach a locker but if her bag is too heavy I'd still gate check it!)
Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:08 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Show me a US-based airline with 97lb FAs, and I'll be the first to switch loyalties!
Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by cordelli
It's been a very long time since I've seen an airplane filled up with 97 lb and under flight attendants, and they usually don't lift the carry ons any more.
I take it you are flying in North America mostly then?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by cordelli
In Asia they do fill the airplanes with 97 lb flight attendants and they will happily assist a passenger with their carry-on if the passenger is incapable and no-one else steps in quick enough to help.

Although I agree the 7 kilo limit almost always applies to airlines that charge for checked baggage so I suspect that is the relevant correlation.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:03 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by Jazzop
Show me a US-based airline with 97lb FAs, and I'll be the first to switch loyalties!
The thread was mainly in reference to Asia based airlines that do have 97 pound FAs and 7kg carry on weight limits, but often no charge for the first checked bag. (And yes, cost of injuries to FAs is a likely motivation behind the motivation.)

US based airlines typically have FAs who are likely to refuse to assist with carry on baggage, while not having any explicit weight limits for such carry on baggage. Charging for all checked bags is common so that there is more incentive for passengers to carry on everything.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:04 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
In Asia they do fill the airplanes with 97 lb flight attendants and they will happily assist a passenger with their carry-on if the passenger is incapable and no-one else steps in quick enough to help.

Although I agree the 7 kilo limit almost always applies to airlines that charge for checked baggage so I suspect that is the relevant correlation.
Emirates, Singapore Air, Air NZ, Qantas - all have 7 Kg limit. None of them charges for checked baggage. LAN has a 9 Kg limit.

I would prefer a 7 Kg bag to fall on my head from an overhead locker than a heavy bag not subject to weight restrictions. Of course, I'd rather nothing at all fell on my head!

I much prefer airlines that have a weight restriction on cabin baggage to some of the US airlines with no weight restriction, where I see people bringing half the house on board!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by celle
I much prefer airlines that have a weight restriction on cabin baggage to some of the US airlines with no weight restriction, where I see people bringing half the house on board!
The ability to bring a 30 LBS roller on per US airline regulations allows me to travel without checked bags much of the time. This saves me a LOT of time and means that much of the time, the airline cannot loose my bags. Makes my travel more efficient and means I always have what I need with me. I win!

The ailrine wins because they don't have to pay baggage handlers to handle my bags. The airline wins!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:01 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by crazyMRer
The ability to bring a 30 LBS roller on per US airline regulations allows me to travel without checked bags much of the time. This saves me a LOT of time and means that much of the time, the airline cannot loose my bags. Makes my travel more efficient and means I always have what I need with me. I win!

The airline wins because they don't have to pay baggage handlers to handle my bags. The airline wins!
The airline might win and you might win, but your fellow passengers do not. I've seen boarding held up by people who insist on bringing apparently unlimited cabin baggage on board, banging into other passengers and taking up all the overhead space.

I do hope I'm not sitting beneath your 30 pound bag on a flight! And the airline won't win if I sue because I'm injured by that baggage.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Less weight = Less fuel = more $$$$
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by celle
The airline might win and you might win, but your fellow passengers do not. I've seen boarding held up by people who insist on bringing apparently unlimited cabin baggage on board, banging into other passengers and taking up all the overhead space.

I do hope I'm not sitting beneath your 30 pound bag on a flight! And the airline won't win if I sue because I'm injured by that baggage.
I don't want unlimited baggea on planes. I want what I am currently allowed by US airlines, not more. I take a roller and computer backpack.

I can easily lift my bag every time. I will never bump into you withy my bag. Airlne bins are built and certified to handle multiple 30 LBS bags per bin. Why would you care if you are sitting below my bag?

When you fly as much as me, saving a little time every trip by not checking bags really adds up! I suggest you learn to do the same if you value your time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.