Wiki Posts
Search

What's OK attire for long-haul F?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
What's OK attire for long-haul F?

So I'm using *A miles and taking the following flights in F as part of an itinerary from PHL to HKG:

LAX-ICN (OZ)
BKK-ZRH (TG)
ZRH-JFK (LX)

My main carrier is US, and I'll often fly in their F (or, "F") cabin wearing neat but athletic clothing, which I prefer due to the comfort. But I've never flown "real" F, especially long-haul as detailed above.

Would it be inappropriate to wear gym/casual pants like these, running shoes, and a t-shirt in "real" F cabins (and F lounges)? If so, what's the minimum attire in "real" F?
Old May 22, 2010, 12:38 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
IMHO, anyone who spends the miles/money for international F is entitled to wear whatever he finds comfortable. It's nobody else's business. (Come to think of it, that applies to all classes of service.)

But do a search in the BA forum; you might find the discussions on both sides of the issue very entertaining!
Old May 22, 2010, 6:20 am

I fly F/BE all the time on paid fares. I wear jeans and a t-shirt. I could care less about what the "suits" think.
Old May 22, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
There is no dress code. In my experience people either wear comfort clothes (jeans, jogging bottoms, etc.) or dress smartly (collared shirt and jacket). The comfort passengers tend to outnumber the smart ones. Basically, there's usually not much dresswise to differentiate F and Y passengers.
Old May 22, 2010, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

When I have flown Long haul F ( BA) I usually wear a polo shirt and newish jeans or chinos. BA F offers PJs on board so I will change into them shortly after take off ( even on day flights) and the majority of the cabin did so likewise.

Regards

TBS
Old May 22, 2010, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
wear whatever you want!
Old May 22, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by tommyleo
So I'm using *A miles and taking the following flights in F as part of an itinerary from PHL to HKG:

LAX-ICN (OZ)
BKK-ZRH (TG)
ZRH-JFK (LX)

My main carrier is US, and I'll often fly in their F (or, "F") cabin wearing neat but athletic clothing, which I prefer due to the comfort. But I've never flown "real" F, especially long-haul as detailed above.

Would it be inappropriate to wear gym/casual pants like these, running shoes, and a t-shirt in "real" F cabins (and F lounges)? If so, what's the minimum attire in "real" F?
I am in the camp of wear whatever you feel comfortable in. I usually fly in shorts and a polo.

I am shocked that no one has gotten on you for only spending $12.99 for a pair of pants!!! There have been countless threads like this that seem to have FT'ers walking down a runway as opposed to landing on one.

There was a certain shoe one that comes to mind!
Old May 22, 2010, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I am shocked that no one has gotten on you for only spending $12.99 for a pair of pants!!!
Overstock.com rules.

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
There have been countless threads like this that seem to have FT'ers walking down a runway as opposed to landing on one.

Now THAT'S a great line. ^
Old May 22, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Yes wear something comfortable. However, always remember that human beings being human beings, those who look like bums are treated like bums.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan P
Originally Posted by Mr H
There is no dress code. In my experience people either wear comfort clothes (jeans, jogging bottoms, etc.) or dress smartly (collared shirt and jacket). The comfort passengers tend to outnumber the smart ones. Basically, there's usually not much dresswise to differentiate F and Y passengers.
Yep. What just really annoys me is the soccer moms who are still wearing matching pink jogging sweats with "Juicy" written across the bum. Umm, if you're in F, I would hope you replaced your wardrobe with more in fashion items by now. I get it, they're comfortable... but it's time to wear yoga gear if you must wear that kind of thing.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
+1.. wear whatever feels comfortable.. that is most important.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:31 am

Dude, you bought the seat. Wear whatever you want.

A couple of times, my job has required that I fly home from an assignment
with a nicely showered body inside nasty, grubby, gross work clothes in F.

One time a couple suits gave me the stink eye and I asked the FA to tell them their next drink was on me.....
Old May 22, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by skaven
Yep. What just really annoys me is the soccer moms who are still wearing matching pink jogging sweats with "Juicy" written across the bum. Umm, if you're in F, I would hope you replaced your wardrobe with more in fashion items by now. I get it, they're comfortable... but it's time to wear yoga gear if you must wear that kind of thing.
Don't a lot of people do yoga in the nude... Now that could be interesting.
Old May 22, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by shanny19
One time a couple suits gave me the stink eye and I asked the FA to tell them their next drink was on me.....
You don't actually have to pay for drinks in International F.
Old May 22, 2010, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by shanny19
Dude, you bought the seat. Wear whatever you want.

A couple of times, my job has required that I fly home from an assignment
with a nicely showered body inside nasty, grubby, gross work clothes in F.

Have you taken a "talk like I am stuck in a time-warp pill"? Or been watching Life on Mars?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.