Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you buy for Snacks on an Airpline ride 3-5 hours long?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass,MileagePlus

I was wondering and was hoping to get some suggestions from people who fly a lot on what kinda snacks do you buy when you past security and are in the boarding gate area? are they like cookies in a bag? Chocolate? Gum drops? Gummy bears?

Give me some suggestions on what you have bought before you board a plane?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:49 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I rarely buy any snacks past security. I almost always bring snacks from home. I know I can find what I like when I am shopping at home and they are much cheaper than buying at the airport or on the airplane.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti
I rarely buy any snacks past security. I almost always bring snacks from home. I know I can find what I like when I am shopping at home and they are much cheaper than buying at the airport or on the airplane.
ok but I thought u could not bring them across security? you had to ditch them when u got up to the security line. I mean once your past Security?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:02 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by N1Hawk
ok but I thought u could not bring them across security? you had to ditch them when u got up to the security line. I mean once your past Security?
Nope, just can't bring liquids and gels >3.4 oz. (100 ml) past security. Food is fine (unless it is peanut butter or jelly or something like that, which is in that category).

I also always bring an empty water bottle, even if I have a confirmed UG to first, and fill it up at a water fountain behind security. I refuse to pay more per gallon for water than for gasoline.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Cool any other Suggestions from Veteran Flyers?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:01 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
One of my favorite snacks to bring on board is a ziploc of Gummi Bears. They're sweet and don't melt (like chocolate) or break (like crackers). Unlike other dry snacks (like trail mix or granola) which are typically salty and require water, Gummi Bears don't make me overly thirsty. They can be squeezed into any luggage no matter how full, and even if the ziploc breaks, there's no sticky/crumbly mess to clean up. Also can be easily gifted to parents of unruly children as the situation requires.

A several-pound bag at Costco is $5.99, which is just slightly more than you will pay for a couple ounces at the airport. Don't buy snacks at the airport!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

ok thanks
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:30 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If it's a red eye and I didn't get upgraded and I'm leaving from home I'll usually pop some pop corn and bring that.

If I'm on my way home, I'll usually buy some trail mix type stuff somewhere before I get to the airport, it's way too expensive there.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:32 pm

If you like fruit, I highly recommend Durian - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

=)
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:47 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
I do same water bottle trick as FTI & usually pack a couple of those small, lunch size raisin boxes, some mini-babybel cheese (http://www.mini-babybel.com/default....on=minibabybel) & maybe an apple or lemon Luna bar. If not eaten on the plane also great as hotel room snack vs mini bar choices & prices.
Old May 1, 2010, 2:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by N1Hawk
I was wondering and was hoping to get some suggestions from people who fly a lot on what kinda snacks do you buy when you past security and are in the boarding gate area? are they like cookies in a bag? Chocolate? Gum drops? Gummy bears?

Give me some suggestions on what you have bought before you board a plane?
I hate eating on planes..and one will not die going 5 hours without eating something. I eat when I get there or before I go.
Old May 1, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
If you like fruit, I highly recommend Durian - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

=)
OK, now that's just cruel.

For me, I usually bring along some kind of nuts or trail mix. Yes, it makes me thirsty, but they always have water available. And if the flight is long enough for me to be concerned about hydration, I get a bottle of Gatorade once past security.
Old May 1, 2010, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

chardonnay for white, pinot noir for red.
Old May 1, 2010, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy

=)
I love durian!
Old May 1, 2010, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I always bring some Kashi bars in a ziploc bag. They're low in sugars (important for a diabetic), and they're perfect for killing hunger pangs between meals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.