Gas discomfort during long flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia

I promise I'm not trying to start trouble with this thread. Although I'm sure some people will quickly degenerate the discussion.

I have noticed that on flights longer than 4 hours, I develop painful gas that cannot be "dissipated" (so no, I'm not silently violent toward my seatmates). Fortunately for them, it "resolves" itself only after being on the ground an hour or so.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any preventions/remedies? FWIW, I avoid drinking carbonated drinks in flight, sticking to wine, scotch/rocks, and/or the bottled water.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: USdm, DLsm, and all the other ones
I don't know but I REALLY irritated the guy next to me on a recent flight. I woofed down a can of Coke just before descent--I had a chest cold--and every few seconds I would feel the change in pressure release some carbonation from my stomach....up, up, and *belch!* This happened every couple seconds until we landed. Very embarrassing.

I think your problem also has to do with the change in pressure. It takes about 24 hours for something to completely go through the digestive system. Try not eating or drinking anything with "air" in it for 24 hours prior to your flight?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:57 pm
Suspended

which end are you talking about, I fly mainly long haul, a walk around the plane usually helps if too much chicken and green veg has been consumed, sorry in advance for those economy passengers who sit is aisle seats
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jazzop
I promise I'm not trying to start trouble with this thread. Although I'm sure some people will quickly degenerate the discussion.

I have noticed that on flights longer than 4 hours, I develop painful gas that cannot be "dissipated" (so no, I'm not silently violent toward my seatmates). Fortunately for them, it "resolves" itself only after being on the ground an hour or so.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any preventions/remedies? FWIW, I avoid drinking carbonated drinks in flight, sticking to wine, scotch/rocks, and/or the bottled water.
Being pressurized for a higher altitude, gases trapped in your system will expand in the air. During WWII, crew in unpressurized planes were sometimes unable to carry on their missions due to being incapacitated by the pain. Try to avoid foods that cause excessive gas 24 hours before a flight.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:41 am

Carry Gas-Aid, it really works!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:52 am

let the bomb out, with the cabin noise they'll never hear it lol
as far as smell? pretend you're asleep
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
If you have access to a US-only distributed product use Beano before eating and before flights. It absorbs lots of gas and solves the problem for most people. i carry it with me on every flight. I suspect my seatmates may appreciate that.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:09 am

I've always wondered what happens to the gas if you DON'T relieve yourself
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Eurosport
let the bomb out, with the cabin noise they'll never hear it lol
as far as smell? pretend you're asleep
Or look around the cabin like you're trying to find the culprit.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
A common term among FAs for letting one out while walking along the aisle is "crop dusting." Happens often enough.

You're not going to see any of the folks around you again. (If you're traveling with a friend, just face him/her for the duration of the activity.)
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jazzop

The pressurization does it. They may pressurize the aircraft for 3000 ft but you may live at 500 ft. The lower pressure expands gasses within your gut and causes the discomfort.

The best thing is to minimize the amount of gas you will have in there starting the DAY BEFORE your flight. No beer or carb drinks. No beans or bean based foods.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Next time I will try some of the OTC products out there such as Beano or Gas-X. Which of these types of products actually dissipates or relieves the gas internally vs. facilitating its exit? It would be ideal, of course, to eliminate the gas rather than have to deal with the annoyance of going to the lav to flatulate or the rudeness of doing it in my seat.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:39 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am facing a similar problem, I seem to develop cramps during flights and some gas. The problem seems to go away if I drink kombucha before the flight, but you cannot find that stuff in every airport terminal. Anyone in a similar situation able to provide some advice?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Watch your diet. Avoid foods that make you gassy (beans, broccoli, etc.) and, if you're lactose intolerant (as I am), avoid dairy or carry a supply of lactase pills. Also try beano or similar products.

Or make frequent trips to the lavatory, or just let 'er rip and hope 1) it isn't loud and doesn't smell, 2) it's absorbed by the cloth seats, 3) you can blame it on someone else, or 4) everyone else is asleep and won't notice.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I find bending forward and lifting one cheek off the seat helps alleviate my trapped gas problems. More difficult to do in coach, but in business and first it's fine. In a pinch, ask your seat mate to pull your finger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.