Wiki Posts
Search

Your Most Fearful Travelling Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2010, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Your Most Fearful Travelling Nightmare

Which hasn't happened yet

I have nightmares about being caught outside my hotel room in nothing but my undies when moving the room service trolley out into the hallway (yes i ring room service and tell them it's there). then i have to go down to reception in my undies

How embarrassing would that be !
Old Feb 6, 2010, 3:18 am

Programs: EBG, M&M Silver, BA Gold
Something similar nearly happened to me, and now I always make sure I'm wearing something while sleeping in hotels!

I woke up in the night needing the loo, and was a bit disorientated because it was towards the end of a long trip involving a lot of different hotels.

I was still half asleep and opened the door to what I thought was the bathroom.. and came to just in time to realise I was standing naked in the hallway and the door was about to slam behind me. It was a very close call, and I've never in my life felt so relieved that I caught that door in time!!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Citi Platinum Select, DL Skymiles/AMEX Plat
Nightmares which haven't occurred (yet-and hope they never do!)

--Having my luggage stolen
--Wrecking/Totaling a rental vehicle
--Being stranded somewhere for an extended period of time due to weather.

Nightmares which have occurred:
--Becoming a victim of identity theft (having wallet/credit cards stolen)

--Ending up in the emergency room and/or having an unplanned hospital stay (this has happened to me 3 times!)
Old Feb 6, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
That my upgrade doesn't clear.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Peterpack

I have nightmares about being caught outside my hotel room in nothing but my undies when moving the room service trolley out into the hallway (yes i ring room service and tell them it's there). then i have to go down to reception in my undies

That happened to my father. The newspaper was not next to the door. He went out to get it and ......the door slammed shut. My mother was in the shower at the time. She laughed so hard she could hardly tell the story.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Coach
Old Feb 6, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
* I'm flying internationally and get stuck in coach.

* Somewhere while walking in the airport, I realize that I'm walking without shoes, with none in my carry-on.

Yes, I've had dreams like that.

Last edited by Wiirachay; Feb 6, 2010 at 8:08 pm
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Two (really good I think) nightmares

a) I am in NYC.......this was before 9/11......I land........and I have my pockets FULL of colones (currency of Costa Rica)........so I think "I am going to go to the WTC..........they do WORLD trade so they will be able to give me dollars".........sure enough, they don't and I dont have a single cent that I can use in the US

b) My wife and I are running to catch our flight..........we are late......somehow our carryons open up .........and all our stuff flies all over the hallway.......(right at the airport).......so we grab what we can and run to the gate....I say to my wife "what gate is it" .......she says "its gate xyz" so we go there......we get in.....sit in the very last row of the plane (a nightmare by itself) and then I realize we got on the wrong flight...........and as i am thinking that.......and the plane takes off.......it becomes totally obvious that there is a major malfunction..........and the plane is going to crash...........we were not suposed to be there.......but we were
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Losing my house and car keys. I don't have anyone up here to give a spare key to and I don't have an extra key for either of my cars.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
Losing my house and car keys. I don't have anyone up here to give a spare key to and I don't have an extra key for either of my cars.
Safe deposit box?
Damn, forgot -- that has a key too and you'd lose that.

At least drilling a box is cheaper than your front door or car ($50 vs. $150).
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Other than really bad things happening, my worst travel nightmares have happened:

1) food poisoning - Barcelona for work, nothing worse than being at a meeting where you have to excuse yourself to purge.

2) no luggage - 3 days in NZ and two days in Madrid

3) robbed - wallet lifted in SF (hostel) and an attempt in Barcelona.

The only other thing I can think of would be to be upgraded and then have it taken back on a long-haul flight. Never cried for the first three, but this, I might!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
i most fear waking up in a city and realizing i am supposed to be in a different city.

I came very close once to traveling to Santa Fe, NM instead of Santa Fe, Tx!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
Two (really good I think) nightmares

a) I am in NYC.......this was before 9/11......I land........and I have my pockets FULL of colones (currency of Costa Rica)........so I think "I am going to go to the WTC..........they do WORLD trade so they will be able to give me dollars".........sure enough, they don't and I dont have a single cent that I can use in the US
I get that this is a hypothetical, but it's a little hard to believe this is your nightmare. Most nightmares are plausible - Most currency exchanges and banks stock the local currency! Also, just an FYI - People's Foreign Exchange in DC and NYC regularly stocks colones (rates suck as always).
Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peterpack

Well, I don't dream about it, but I am terrified of becoming extremely ill on the road..more so of coming down with it on the same day I have to fly. I cannot imagine being "that guy"..the one with the barf bag the whole flight, ruining it for the other pax. What if I had uncontrollable diarrhea on a long flight? It would be a hell to endure, having to travel and being utterly weak and not thinking straight. Some fellow travelers have told me stories..one spent a trans-at in a DC-10 rear lav puking his guts out from some food poisoning he picked up.

Luckily, it's never happened. yet. I have been ill on the road before, but at times when I could take a day or two to recover and I have never been THAT ill on the road. But I travel so much...sooner or later...
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Whenever I fly and take a nap, I always have the EXACT same Dream (aka Nightmare):

...Oddly the dream is about me napping on a flight...and I wake up...and I realize the plane is struggling to "pull up" against a mountain out in the middle of nowhere...engines screaming...

I always wake up before I find out if the flight makes it or not...

It's very unsettling...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.