Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Any success getting 48 page US biometric passport anyone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO, USAir, United, Delta, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver

I am planning to apply for a new passport and heard that US State Department does not issue extended (48 page) passports anymore since introduction of biometric (with chip) passports? Anybody can confirm this?
Also, if that's not true, if I do an expedited passport service - 1-2 days (through passport center), can they still give me a 48 page passport?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by pavelyur
I am planning to apply for a new passport and heard that US State Department does not issue extended (48 page) passports anymore since introduction of biometric (with chip) passports? Anybody can confirm this?
Also, if that's not true, if I do an expedited passport service - 1-2 days (through passport center), can they still give me a 48 page passport?
In April of last year I got a 48-page passport in one day from the Philadelphia passport center. It has the e-passport symbol on the front. I have no idea where the chip is located (inside the cover??) but it's got to be in there somewhere.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Last year, I also got a 48-pager (with chip I believe).
No problem, just stuck a note in asking for the 48-pager.

Years ago, doing the same thing,
they issued me a small one.

On query, they quickly (week) replaced with
the larger one without further fee.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
About 11 months ago, I renewed, and inserted a brief note asking for the larger number of pages, "due to a high amount of anticipated travel".

I didn't pay the expedite fee but did pay for express mail both ways. IIRC I received the large-number of pages-RFID-chip version about 19 days later.

I don't have the passport with me, but from memory, I think the actual number of pages is 52, not 48 (correction welcome).
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
About 11 months ago, I renewed, and inserted a brief note asking for the larger number of pages, "due to a high amount of anticipated travel".

I didn't pay the expedite fee but did pay for express mail both ways. IIRC I received the large-number of pages-RFID-chip version about 19 days later.

I don't have the passport with me, but from memory, I think the actual number of pages is 52, not 48 (correction welcome).
Does it take longer if applying first time?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I do have my passport right here and you are correct, it is 52. Not all of those 52 pages are for visa stamps though.

I didn't even have to put a note in asking for the longer version. It was pretty clear from looking at the old passport I sent back (which had 3 extra-pages inserts!) that I needed it!

No idea if it takes longer for the first passport. When I did that, it was 25 years ago and they didn't have chips!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Does it take longer if applying first time?
No it doesn't.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Originally Posted by travelmad478
In April of last year I got a 48-page passport in one day from the Philadelphia passport center. It has the e-passport symbol on the front. I have no idea where the chip is located (inside the cover??) but it's got to be in there somewhere.
Tried asking for this at the Philadelphia Passport Agency last month - the person there said only one type of passport is available....thus have a 28 page passport Figure will have to have the pleasure of adding pages/asking for a new one in the next 2 years
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by PHL_roadwarrior
Tried asking for this at the Philadelphia Passport Agency last month - the person there said only one type of passport is available....thus have a 28 page passport Figure will have to have the pleasure of adding pages/asking for a new one in the next 2 years
I started out with a 48-pager last time and still had to add pages three times in ten years, so for me it wouldn't make all that much difference what I started with. But still, I'm glad I (apparently) snuck in under the wire at Philly. Maybe you just got there on a day when they were low on inventory?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
They wouldn't do an original 48 page from the embassy in London but they did agree to do the extra pages right at the same time.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:54 am
Original Poster

NYC Passport Agency Gives 52-page

I just went to the NYC passport agency and they gave me 52 (not 48 anymore) page biometric passport and passport card in about 2 hrs. So they still have extended passports even though state department website is not very clear about it (they took down the page that referenced extended passport)
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E71-2: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/448; U; en-US) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

I just went to the NYC passport agency and they gave me 52 (not 48 anymore) page biometric passport and passport card in about 2 hrs. So they still have extended passports even though state department website is not very clear about it (they took down the page that referenced extended passport)
Even worse, there are no instructions anywhere on the DS-82 form. I inserted a note in 1999 asking for a 48-page book, and still received a 24-page book. I did the same in 2009, with better results. It may just be luck of the draw, depending on who at the Passport processing center works on your application.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
They wouldn't do an original 48 page from the embassy in London but they did agree to do the extra pages right at the same time.
I just got my new one from the embassy in Brunei and got 52 pages without asking...

Maybe they do all passport to Brunei with 52, since it takes 4 stamps just to go across to Malaysia for a beer...

K.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
I just got a renewal passport with 52 pages in it.

Besides sending in my old passport with the required paperwork, I was instructed by the help line to fill out the form that requests extra pages and to enclose a note asking for extra pages and to mail that along with the passport.

Now I'm off to the US Consulate in HKG to get extra pages put in to beat the fee! ^

Update: Extra pages put in. Success! And (for the moment), for free...

Last edited by abraxis; Apr 9, 2010 at 3:11 am
Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:06 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
OT here, seeing as the US issues a 48/52 page passport I wondered what they do in Australia. It is either a 32 page or a 64 page.

Wonder if there is a maximum sized passport a country can issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.