Wiki Posts
Search

Ringing the call button to get a drink

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Ringing the call button to get a drink

here is the scenario. Food and drinks have already been served. Flight is quiet and people are reading or watching the IFE. Flight attendants are 'behind the curtains' or not visible.

Do you think it is rude to ring the call button to ask for something to drink? 9/10 times on a US domestic flight they don't seem to happy to get the request.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:45 pm

No, thats what its there for.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:48 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
I agree. However, I can never bring myself to use the call button.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I agree. However, I can never bring myself to use the call button.
That's my point. They make you feel like you are doing something wrong or bothering them.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Interesting question indeed

Generally my experience is that non-US FA tend be be more willing to respond to you pressing the call button (at least in the premium cabins), whereas US FA tend to be of the opinion that the call button is there for emergenies only (we all know the silly explanation "We´re primarly here for your safety etc." aka "don´t bother us while we are chatting in the galley or reading a magazine")

Anyhow, in most cases I just went to the galley and politely asked for another drink or whatever I needed.
When I don´t get to see the FA providing any service for more than an hour (on a day-time flight) I don´t really mind what they might think of me when I go to the galley to ask for a drink etc.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Is this in first or in coach? I've not considered ringing the call bell in coach...I assume they have their drink service and that is the time to get the drink...not whenever I want it. If in first, I have no problem ringing it but they usually are attentive.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dingo
Is this in first or in coach? I've not considered ringing the call bell in coach...I assume they have their drink service and that is the time to get the drink...not whenever I want it. If in first, I have no problem ringing it but they usually are attentive.
lets say coach for this discussion.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:27 pm

Dingo. I agree... In Y, I will only ring the call button if I need something, not if I want something. On long flights in C/F I prefer to walk back/front and stretch my legs. If it means disturbing somebody next to me, i'll ring the call button as well.

Just can you can use it, doesn't mean you should be obnoxious about it =).
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:42 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I bring a big cow bell and ring it loudly.

Just kidding. I get up and go to the galley. It also gives me a chance to use the lav or stretch my legs.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

another trick to help reduce a bad attitude is to ask for a drink to take medicine. Kind of hard when you order a beer though
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT,VS Silver,SPG gold, Hilton, AMEX Plat, BA nothing.
Originally Posted by mike_asia
here is the scenario. Food and drinks have already been served. Flight is quiet and people are reading or watching the IFE. Flight attendants are 'behind the curtains' or not visible.

Do you think it is rude to ring the call button to ask for something to drink? 9/10 times on a US domestic flight they don't seem to happy to get the request.
Seriously? 9-10 times on a flight? If I had that many drinks of anything, I'd be in the lav for the entire flight.

If it was soda or water, next time ask for the can or bottle and save them the trip.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:17 pm

Ya think that might have meant "9 out of 10 times on a US domestic flight"...
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:38 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Earlier quote:
Originally Posted by dingo

Originally Posted by mike_asia
lets say coach for this discussion.
On any US airline in which I traveled in recent years, ringing the call button in Economy for a drink refill is an exercise in which expectations - any at all - are likely to far outweigh results - likely to be none.

Drinks come with the rare and infrequent passing of the beverage carts ciculated about as slowly as carts placarded "Bring Out Your Dead' rolled through the streets of European cities during manifestations of the Black Death. The expression you may see on the FA's face when you ask for a drink will probably be like those of the "Dead Cart's" driver.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedSox
Seriously? 9-10 times on a flight? If I had that many drinks of anything, I'd be in the lav for the entire flight.

If it was soda or water, next time ask for the can or bottle and save them the trip.
9 out of 10 times....

Anyway this brings up another interesting point.. Dirty looks when you ask for a can or they say 'sorry, we don't have enough to give you a can'
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
Absolutely. I never have the slightest qualms about using the call button for this and, indeed, if it is not answered in a reasonable time (5-10 minutes), I'll re-set it and ring it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.