Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ITA OnTheFly No Longer Available;
Existing Installations Will Cease Working 31 Dec 2017

Google purchased ITA, and chose to drop OnTheFly. Some functions are failing already, and Google / ITA is no longer supporting the app.

Note for users of OnTheFly:

ITA Software's mobile flight-search app OnTheFly is no longer available and existing installations will no longer work after December 2017. You can still search for flights using ITA's technology here on Matrix. Or try Google Flights on mobile to find the best fares wherever you are.
Originally Posted by sokolov
In the Google forum, ITA Support has replied:

"I am sorry, but we don't have anybody working on OnTheFly anymore. The problems you are experiencing are most likely caused by changes made to other systems that OnTheFly is relying on." <snip>
rt1flea has posted a possible interim workaround to download OnTheFly again if you have had it installed on your iPhone previously in post #15.

Thanks to codyc1515, davedeboston, innesst, rt1flea and sokolov.

Updated 09 Jun 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

OnTheFly ITA Matrix App Gone?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
App is gone

I upgraded to new iPhone 7 and when installing computer backup from iTunes -all my apps reappeared on my phone except On The Fly. Not in update section or previous app download not on phone section.

It's definitely gone so let's hope it returns. Anyone upgrading to new phone will likely lose the app so FYI there.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:32 pm

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
Does anyone have the old IPA file from iOS8? If so, it can be cracked and then installed by us using iFunbox or something else...
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:14 am

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
Originally Posted by rizwank
Does anyone have the old IPA file from iOS8? If so, it can be cracked and then installed by us using iFunbox or something else...
I still have it. What do I need to do?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:41 pm

I still have the OnTheFly app running ios7. Clearly I'm living in the past, but it sounds like when I update to a new phone soon, I'll lose the app.

Also, the matrix.itasoftware website has this message posted:

"Note for users of OnTheFly:

ITA Software's mobile flight-search app OnTheFly is no longer available and existing installations will no longer work after December 2017. You can still search for flights using ITA's technology here on Matrix. Or try Google Flights on mobile to find the best fares wherever you are."

Sounds like this wonderful app's days are limited.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:25 pm

Oh, dear, sad to see this go. It must have still been on the Google Play store at the end of October, since I just put it on my new phone. This was one of the few apps where I actually liked having a separate app; normally I don't like downloading an app that basically duplicates what the Web site does.

Seth
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:32 pm

Late to this thread... this is a real shame because the app was fantastic and using the website on a mobile device is significantly less convenient.

In any case, does someone have a suggestion for an app that works similarly?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
The web version renders so poorly on my iphone. Is there a mobile-specific web version? So sad to see Matrix go away. Any one have a replacement? Kayak just doesn't cut it.

*** Just noticed that the app is working for me again!

Last edited by HSaxa; Jan 13, 2017 at 9:55 am
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:22 am

Did nobody really think to check the Matrix website? Right at the bottom:

ITA Software's mobile flight-search app OnTheFly is no longer available and existing installations will no longer work after December 2017. You can still search for flights using ITA's technology here on Matrix. Or try Google Flights on mobile to find the best fares wherever you are.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by codyc1515

will no longer work after December 2017.

December 2017. We just started 2017. It has a full year left.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by viksra
December 2017. We just started 2017. It has a full year left.
The original post in this thread asks about installing the app from the App Store or Google Play, not the continued use of existing installations.
Originally Posted by pduck01
Hello,

Changed my phone and now the ITA Matrix app is gone and I don't see it in the store - where can I find it to bring it back into my life?

Thank you.
In addition, as discussed upthread, experiences with already installed OnTheFly apps are mixed at best.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by codyc1515

Disappointing! Kind of curious why Google has essentially killed the app without offering any kind of replacement (even if a Google Flights app).
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:37 pm

I just found out that the app is going to stop working at the end of the year. That is VERY disappointing. I would have paid a little for this service.

Especially the bookmarking of specific itineraries and updating the the prices was super helpful. Also, the month long search was great.

And, not just once have I found flights that the website version would not produce.

Is there anything close to OnTheFly?

Google Flights is a very sad experience in comparison.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Seems like the online MATRIX app is also missing. . a search on itasoftware.com no longer yields any links.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Seems like the online MATRIX app is also missing. . a search on itasoftware.com no longer yields any links.
Try http://matrix.itasoftware.com/
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by drewguy
Disappointing! Kind of curious why Google has essentially killed the app without offering any kind of replacement (even if a Google Flights app).
Expedia bought Mobiata, and then they go killing off some of the key apps I've been using. Google doing this to ITA doesn't surprise me, but I too am disappointed by these apps getting killed off like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.