New Blackberry Tour

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Blackberry Tour

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: BlackBerry8110/4.5.0.69 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/123)

This will have GPS
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
You don't mention your carrier. Verizon has the Storm, which is GSM and CDMA, and will work worldwide. The Storm 2 is coming. If you are comfortable with Verizon, then wait for that.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f144/ has the current list of coming bberries.
Just a word of warning about Crackberry.com -- many of their posters make some of the TS/S forum posters look like angels.

Been a lurker there for awhile, but I don't dare post something there.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, *wood-Plat, Hyatt-Plat, HH-Silver, Frontier-Ascent, Hertz-Prez0
From Blackberry.com

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...r_features.jsp

Access internal GPS and BlackBerry® Maps on your new BlackBerry Tour 9630 smartphone when you need help finding your way. BlackBerry Maps is designed to make it easy to locate nearby businesses, restaurants, theatres and more.

Featuring built-in GPS that works with other location-based software, you’ll always know where you stand and where you need to be with turn-by-turn directions to help you get there quickly.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
OK, can we get some agreement on the specs for this BB Tour... the Verizon site says it will indeed be a worldphone, so along with CDMA bands, it will have quad GSM. But will it have wifi capability?

Edited to add: http://www.businessweek.com/the_thre...erry_tour.html

This article firmly states that it will not have Wifi.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:54 am

July 12 is the availability date for the Tour on Verizon and likely Sprint in the US as well. I'll fortunately be passing through MIA en-route to Bogota, so my timing is perfect to pop by the Verizon store on the way to the airport. Excited to finally dump the Storm. After too many hassles with buggy OS versions, it's headed to eBay UK!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
July 12 is the availability date for the Tour on Verizon and likely Sprint in the US as well.
Seriously? Any knowledge on AT&T?
Old Jul 2, 2009, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by gleff
Seriously? Any knowledge on AT&T?
I don't think this will be released on AT&T since it's a CDMA w/GSM, like the Storm.

I think a similar Blackberry that will be launched on AT&T will be the Blackberry Onyx but no release date yet:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/24/b...nded-it-to-be/
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:33 am

GPS

I am curious as to if VZ has noted if the GPS will be "unlocked" to third party map programs (outside of BB Maps and VZ Navigator).

The 8830 has blocked third-party applications (such as Google Maps) from accessing the GPS and I think the Storm does as well.

Will have to make a trip to the store when it is released and play with it in person to see; if anyone gets one, can you test it out?
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:32 am

I expect like the Storm, it will be enabled. Google Maps works perfectly on the Storm w/ full GPS and aGPS capability.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
I expect like the Storm, it will be enabled. Google Maps works perfectly on the Storm w/ full GPS and aGPS capability.
Oh wow, I stand corrected in regards to the Storm, then. Thanks for the updated info. I remember trying it, but getting more frustrated with the screen instead, so I probably didn't give it enough time.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
The only thing that makes me consider this is that it's a contemporary Blackberry that (apparently) will be available without a camera.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by JAaronT
The only thing that makes me consider this is that it's a contemporary Blackberry that (apparently) will be available without a camera.
It will have a camera.

A fairly extensive review of the Verizon BB Tour published on July 2:

http://www.phonemag.com/verizon-blac...iew-079413.php
Old Jul 2, 2009, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by RobertS975
It will have a camera.

A fairly extensive review of the Verizon BB Tour published on July 2:

http://www.phonemag.com/verizon-blac...iew-079413.php
Actually, it will come with and without the camera. The Verizon Wireless page already has both models for pre-order.

Same price for both per VZW's website.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, *wood-Plat, Hyatt-Plat, HH-Silver, Frontier-Ascent, Hertz-Prez0
Verizon and Sprint have both confirmed July 12 release date in the media now. I will be the guy waiting outside
Old Jul 4, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
It looks like wirefly will let you extend your 2 yr contract for a $199 price. Not sure what VZW will do, I'll be calling my rep this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.