Wiki Posts
Search

Trading in iPhone for BB/WM device

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Trading in iPhone for BB/WM device

So I've finally got fed up with the iPhone and have decided to get rid of it. Lots of little annoyances and quirks have added up to too much frustration for me. I'll miss the games, but not much else

I'm curious as to what other options I have out there in terms of Windows Mobile. I've seen the Samsung Epix and the new Moto Qs, but am curious to hear some FTer's opinions on these and other devices. FWIW, if I were to get a BB, it would most likely be the Bold.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a Blackberry Curve (personal) and a Samsung Blackjack II (work).

I hate the Blackjack. Windows Mobile is nothing but slowness and headaches.

The Blackberry just works.

That's all I have to say on the matter.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Seems to be an echo in this forum.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Windows mobile ain't gonna be much of an improvement from the iPhone. Go with the Blackberry.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I had WinMo devices, one personal and one work. I replaced the work one with an iPhone and the personal one with a BB. I love it. There are some great apps on the iPhone, not games, which I use a lot. And the browser is great as are the phone functions. But BBs can hold their own in some ways, and I love the keyboard on the Curve.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I had WinMo devices, one personal and one work. I replaced the work one with an iPhone and the personal one with a BB. I love it. There are some great apps on the iPhone, not games, which I use a lot. And the browser is great as are the phone functions. But BBs can hold their own in some ways, and I love the keyboard on the Curve.
Yeah the one app I'll seriously miss is the FlightUpdate. It was great at knowing delays before the airline updated FIDS screens. Also came in handy knowing what gate we would park at upon landing Anything similar for BB?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:15 am

Programs: AA
After several years of WM devices, including WM phones, I got a Blackberry Curve. I am so, so happy with it. For those who like their iPhones, fine, but the Blackberry Curve is everything I need.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Yeah the one app I'll seriously miss is the FlightUpdate. It was great at knowing delays before the airline updated FIDS screens. Also came in handy knowing what gate we would park at upon landing Anything similar for BB?
I use Worldmate Live. Some parts are free, others only to subscribed members. Most handy for me is that I forward all of my hotel / airline / car rental confirmation emails to it and it keeps track of my itineraries. I can then pull up a leg of my itinerary and hit a button to check status or get suggestions on alternate routings ^

I will echo those here who will say WinMo is a headache. I'd stay away from it. You couldn't ever pry my BlackBerry Bold away from me for a WinMo or eyephone.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I use Worldmate Live. Some parts are free, others only to subscribed members. Most handy for me is that I forward all of my hotel / airline / car rental confirmation emails to it and it keeps track of my itineraries. I can then pull up a leg of my itinerary and hit a button to check status or get suggestions on alternate routings ^

I will echo those here who will say WinMo is a headache. I'd stay away from it. You couldn't ever pry my BlackBerry Bold away from me for a WinMo or eyephone.
Looks like a BB Bold it is. I found a guy on Craigslist willing to trade me his like-new Bold for my like-new iPhone + $70. I'm meeting with him tomorrow so I'll report back with what I think of the Bold.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond
I was a long time BB user who was romanced into an iPhone becuase of the media aspects. I had it for 4 months and recently went to a BB Bold. Funny thing is, I can still have all of my music and videos on my bold with a 16GB card!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: AA, AC,
I think its really a matter of personal (or corporate) needs and preference. I have both - the blackberry for corporate email and IM communications and an iPhone as my weekend phone (just swap the SIMs)....

The company also supports the iPhone for email but I am not fond of the virtual keyboard :-)

I love the apps and the multimedia capability of the iPhone and there is some overlap with BB but I think that the iTunes store and the level of integration and ease of use has really given a huge boost to Apple and their success.

-- Tex
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Having both, and a BB for a LONG time, I would have to say that in my opinion the single best feature of the BB is the keyboard and the single worst feature of the iPhone is no keyboard. A Bold?????

Edited to add:

Duh, I Boldly confused my Storm. Sorry about that, the Bold indeed looks great.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Jan 29, 2009 at 3:25 pm
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
BB Desktop can sync your iTunes library with your Bold, too. I haven't ever used it on mine. I use my BB more for over-the-air podcasts via PodTrapper.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Updating like I promised...

I ended up making the trade on Sunday night for a Bold in exchange for my iPhone and $30.

So far I'm loving it -- it's so much different than other BBs I've played around with before. Took me a while to get used to the keyboard as I've never had a smartphone before the iPhone (and that was touch screen), but now I'm pretty quick. Also am slowly figuring out the shortcuts. I'm waiting for my corporate IT guys to set up a BB enterprise license for me so I can get my email on it as well.

Overall I definitely think I made the right choice! Thanks for all the advice
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:54 pm

I went through 4 MotoQ's in a period of 5 months, and the 4th was tossed in the trash can that was behind the sprint rep after only having it for 3 days. Needless to say I am in love with my Blackberry curve..

I blame Bill Gates for the idiocy of Window's Media!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.