Wiki Posts
Search

Best Travel Speakers for IPOD?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Best Travel Speakers for IPOD?

I need a pair of travel speakers for my IPOD? Basically, plug the IPOD in and be able to listen to them in my hotel room. Nothing great...but somewhat loud. No cocert in my room though !!
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.alteclansing.com/index.ph...t_id=orbit-mp3

I've got these, and they ROCK.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:55 pm

Been very happy with this JBL unit

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Portable-S.../dp/B000BQ57BU
Old Sep 11, 2008, 3:13 pm

Programs: US Chairman
Bought this at the Five Below store for $5.00.

http://www.nulime.com/iPod-Folding-Speakers/p202330
Old Sep 11, 2008, 3:53 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by ScottC
+1

I've bought lots of portable speakers over the years and this is the best by far, in terms of sound/weight ratio. Second place was from Monster -- they looked like a large CD jewel box.

As for the orbit:

Pros:

* Small and Light
* Uses only 3 AAA (instead of 4 AA like most others)
* Cord wraps around base
* Can use with any device with headphone jack

Cons:

* Mono (only 1 speaker) but not a problem for me
* Funky on off switch (you have to twist the top and my has gotten hard to turn)
* No power LED -- hard to know if its really off
* No separate volume control

I would also like to see an auto-shutoff feature, but for $30 I'm not complaining.

They have a new version that will be coming out soon. Looks to be a bit taller and has a more traditional on/off switch $10 more but includes a carry case. Specs are thin -- don't know what other differences there are.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
thanks guys
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:08 pm

This is my fav. portable speakers:
Portable Sound Lab 06BWB01

I use them with my Sandisk MP3 players despite the speakers being marketed as being for iPods. Very impressive sound, far more full-bodied sound than I'd expect for something of this size. Battery life is good and it also stores the MP3 player/iPod inside it even when in use, so it'll give your tunes extra protection.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Thanks for these suggestions

Are there any inexpensive ones that also charge the IPOD or am I just asking for too much? *grins*
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by gretchendz
Are there any inexpensive ones that also charge the IPOD or am I just asking for too much? *grins*
JBL On Stage will - and have excellent sound quality, too. The Bose SoundDock Travel also charges, but I wouldn't exactly describe it as "inexpensive" at a 399 USD/EUR list price

Check out ilounge.com they have very good independent reviews on most things ipod, also speakers.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
If ScottC likes it it MUST be good

Just ordered one from www.play.com in the UK for £17.99. Bargain as Amazon.co.uk is £23. ^

Originally Posted by ScottC
Old Sep 25, 2008, 5:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
anaggie,

Check out the following speakers at the Apple store:

TravelSound for iPod shuffle:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR...mco=MTIxODk3Mw

What I like about this one is that the shuffle fits on top and since the shuffle connector is a simple headphone jack you can also use a headphone extension cable to plug this speaker into your laptop or any other iPod via the headphone jack. Rechargeable and 15 hours of battery life.

Travelsound for iPod nano:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR...mco=MTIxODk3Mw

This one works with the wide nano (4th generation) and current 5th generation, but not the 3rd Gen nano.

I have the one for the shuffle since I wanted something to use with my laptop and iPod via the headphone connector. I own a shuffle and 5th Gen iPod.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:32 am

Programs: FB Gold, G3 Gold, JJ Vermelho
My wife has the JBL Onstage. It's great, portable (looks like a bagel) and it charges the iPod. When she bought it, we compared it to the Bose Sounddock, and it only lost because of the deeper bass of the Bose model, but in the end we picked the JBL because it's more portable and a lot cheaper. But recently, as I was choosing a birthday present for my nephew, I realized that now JBL has different models, Soundstage I and II or whatever, and only after I bought the simpler model for my nephew did I realize that the current cheaper model is NOT as good as the one I bought before. So you may want to compare them before you buy.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-...2361493&sr=8-1

I have one of the Altec Lansing IM3's that I bought about 3 years ago. This thing is rock solid, highly portable, runs on either batteries or AC power, and includes every international travel adapter you'll need. Plus, it'll charge your iPod, and also has an aux-in port for plugging your laptop in when you want to watch movies in your hotel room, perhaps with a travel partner.

I don't know how I would've coped for so many hotel nights without this thing.

Highly recommended.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
JBL On Stage will - and have excellent sound quality, too. The Bose SoundDock Travel also charges, but I wouldn't exactly describe it as "inexpensive" at a 399 USD/EUR list price

Check out ilounge.com they have very good independent reviews on most things ipod, also speakers.
Thanks for the Ilounge tip. I ordered the Pacific Rim cube from Amazon for $5.00. Ilounge rated them "A."

We'll see

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.