Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Portable Cell Phone Signal Blockers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vesicle
I excuse myself all the time for phone calls...who are you to block my calls because someone else nearby is talking too loud? In addition I have the phone on vibrate usually so the ringer isn't even noticeable to people. You can't select only the annoying people. Would you feel bad at all if I missed a call notifying me that my wife was in labor or my father died? Just because you have never 'missed' anything while traveling the world without a phone doesn't mean others will have the same situation.

Those of you who advocate such a device can't see how ironic and hypocritical it is calling others 'self-important'...

I also think poetic justice would be for one of these 'jammers' to miss a life changing call because they took it upon themselves to do the exact same thing as those they complain about...and that is to ignore everyone around them and force something upon others for their own comfort.
I couldn't have said it better myself
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

they sell around $300 in UK or Asia?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The anti-jamming crowd would have my sympathy, except that cellphones drop connections by themselves all the time.

It isn't as if cellphones are a reliable means of communication to begin with. @:-)
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdstrike
The anti-jamming crowd would have my sympathy, except that cellphones drop connections by themselves all the time.

It isn't as if cellphones are a reliable means of communication to begin with. @:-)
You need a better cellphone and/or carrier.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
You need a better cellphone and/or carrier.
Perhaps. I deal with people on cellphones a lot and, in the San Francisco Bay Area at least, my reception with AT&T is far from what I expect to get on a landline. When I am on my office landline talking with customers on cellular it is not unusual for the cellular user to fuzz out or drop.

This probably needs a thread of its own, but I simply don't believe that any cellular user out there has the rock-solid connectivity of a land-line. It's just a radio after all.

Land-line providers don't need to supply "coverage maps"

I can only speak for the US of course.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdstrike
Perhaps. I deal with people on cellphones a lot and, in the San Francisco Bay Area at least, my reception with AT&T is far from what I expect to get on a landline. When I am on my office landline talking with customers on cellular it is not unusual for the cellular user to fuzz out or drop.

This probably needs a thread of its own, but I simply don't believe that any cellular user out there has the rock-solid connectivity of a land-line. It's just a radio after all.

Land-line providers don't need to supply "coverage maps"

I can only speak for the US of course.
Try Verizon with a Motorola phone. I can't recall having a dropped call in years (unless I was speaking to someone who used AT&T ).
Old Dec 13, 2007, 5:23 pm

Programs: AF; DL; & SQ FF Programs
While I agree many people are very rude in how they employ various electronic devices...no one has any more right to 'jam' them. The 'talker' might be learning of a death in the family or saying goodbye to their kids while off to war...you have no idea what the real topic is.

This is right up there with people that put the little plastic piece in the seat to prevent reclining.

As 'right' as people like this may think they are...in reality they are just as bad or worse than the 'offender' although they would never admit it.

I hate people like this.
Unfortunately, I have heard more conversations than I care to think about and the greater portion of them are not as you suggested. It seems that people just do not know how to be alone with themselves. I've seen people dial one number after another until they found someone to chat with.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:41 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Okay, I'll make a deal with you: you can prevent me from using my cell phone on a plane (pre-flight, ofcourse -- I'm absolutely opposed to any kind of in-flight usage, even if it is permitted) or public transport if you agree that you won't bring your crying baby or screaming infant into the same venue.
My point was meant for in-flight use .....

And I concur with the later poster on babies / children - at least they are human....

BTW, these devices can be picked up for €50 from a China-based supplier on ebay - I just looked ...
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:46 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
To be honest, my take on this discussion is that it is lass about cellphones specifically, and more about a lack of courtesy and manners in much of everyday life.
Many people feel no sense of respect / consideration for other people at all - it's all ME, ME, ME ..... And they don't care how much their actions inconvenience many others, as long as they can do what they want .... And if challenged, will typically become aggressive and use the "free country" justification ....

Anyway .... On we go
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAP
My point was meant for in-flight use .....
So was mine. Cellphone users are human, too. Two kinds of humans, each creating far more noise than is appropriate.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:39 pm
JAP

So was mine. Cellphone users are human, too. Two kinds of humans, each creating far more noise than is appropriate.
Ah yes PTravel, but the point here is that cellphone "screamers" should know better than to cause unnecessary disturbance to fellow humans, whereas babies cannot possibly be judged in the same way.

[We are not referring here to people who are "normal" 7 considerate users .... just those that don't care about the comfort of others ]
Old Dec 14, 2007, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAP
Ah yes PTravel, but the point here is that cellphone "screamers" should know better than to cause unnecessary disturbance to fellow humans, whereas babies cannot possibly be judged in the same way.
Parents of screaming babies should know better, too.

[We are not referring here to people who are "normal" 7 considerate users .... just those that don't care about the comfort of others ]
Exactly -- cell phone screamers, parents of screamers, it's all the same thing.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 5:27 am
JAP

Parents of screaming babies should know better, too.

Exactly -- cell phone screamers, parents of screamers, it's all the same thing.
With all due respect, they are not quite the same.

Cellphone screamers = in total control of their own actions & choose to do 'it'

Parents of babies don't always have the ability to stop their crying directly / immediately for a variety of reasons.....

It is all about the ability to control.... Willingness is another matter entirely.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 6:17 am

While I agree many people are very rude in how they employ various electronic devices...no one has any more right to 'jam' them. The 'talker' might be learning of a death in the family or saying goodbye to their kids while off to war...you have no idea what the real topic is.

This is right up there with people that put the little plastic piece in the seat to prevent reclining.

As 'right' as people like this may think they are...in reality they are just as bad or worse than the 'offender' although they would never admit it.

I hate people like this.
Everyone seemed to manage somehow - before the invention of the mobile phone - to hear news of a death in the family etc.

However, it is becoming more and more a moot point - In my experience, a number of conference and meeting venues, and theatres (in the English sense, I don't know of any cinemas yet) are routinely using mobile phone signal jammers.

Yes, it's sad that you have to enforce courtesy, but that seems to be the price we have to pay for social "progress".
Old Dec 15, 2007, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAP
With all due respect, they are not quite the same.

Cellphone screamers = in total control of their own actions & choose to do 'it'

Parents of babies don't always have the ability to stop their crying directly / immediately for a variety of reasons.....

It is all about the ability to control.... Willingness is another matter entirely.
I don't really want to turn this into a thread about babies on planes. However, both cellphone users and parents are the ones who have chosen to bring the cause of the noise on-board.

Originally Posted by moocherx
Everyone seemed to manage somehow - before the invention of the mobile phone - to hear news of a death in the family etc.
And businesses managed with carbon paper before copy machines, quill and ink before typewriters, and kerosene lamps before fluorescent lighting. Then, as now, business was conducted at the speed permitted by the available technology. Modern devices allow greater productivity, more can be accomplished, so more is required.

However, it is becoming more and more a moot point - In my experience, a number of conference and meeting venues, and theatres (in the English sense, I don't know of any cinemas yet) are routinely using mobile phone signal jammers.
I wouldn't mind the use of jammers in these contexts provided that (1) the fact that they are in use is clearly communicated to anyone attending, and (2) their range is restricted so that they only effect the specific venue. This is, however, a moot point in the U.S. as the use of jammers is completely illegal.

Yes, it's sad that you have to enforce courtesy, but that seems to be the price we have to pay for social "progress".
If courtesy is enforced, either by regulation or technology, it ceases to be courtesy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.