Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

5 year old laptop dead, any ideas on how to fix?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN Platinum

5 year old eMachines laptop won't respond to the power on key, with or without AC power. Took out the battery, replaced it, nothing works.

Looks like a dead mother board, but how to test for sure??
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
5 year old eMachines laptop won't respond to the power on key, with or without AC power. Took out the battery, replaced it, nothing works.

Looks like a dead mother board, but how to test for sure??
I had exactly the same thing occur a couple of weeks ago to my Vaio. A mother board replacement did the trick.

Not sure how to check, tho...good luck.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Lifetime TE
I take it there isn't any diagnostics software available from the manufacturer? I can imagine not, with eMachines, but thought I'd ask. Pretty sure Dell diagnostics software would ID something like this.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Lifetime TE
Originally Posted by badah
Pretty sure Dell diagnostics software would ID something like this.
i.e. on a Dell, that is!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It won't power on at all, so even if there were diagnostic software (like on a Dell), it wouldn't do any good.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 2MM
If you hear fan turning, disk drive spinning, then the CCF backlight in the LCD may be out. Check the VGA port to make sure.

If the power light comes on but the computer does nothing, the DRAM module may have failed.

If there are no lights at all. Charge the battery outside of the computer and see if the computer boots with a fully charged battery. If it does boot, then check the fuse at the charger adapter port on the motherboard. If it doesn't boot with a fully charged battery, then something serious is wrong with the motherboard.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. Exactly nothing happens when I press the power button, with a charged battery, with or without AC power, with or without battery.

This is an old laptop I was using to test out various apps and linux on, so no big loss. Just sucks.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:09 am

On Thinkpads, both the battery and power adapter port have fuses. It is unlikely both fuses will be blown. But it doesn't hurt to take a look. A modern laptop has close to 20 fuses and even older one has more than 10.

added:
Take a look at the USB port to see if it is damaged. A shorted power contacts in a broken USB port would make a dead laptop.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:24 am

No promises, but try this (this works with several brands): 1) Remove battery and disconnect power cable, 2) Push and hold power button for 1 minute (time it), then release, 3) Plug in power cable and attempt to power up normally, 4) If that worked, put battery back in to charge.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks will try the suggestions and see what happens.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJUAMMF
On Thinkpads, both the battery and power adapter port have fuses. It is unlikely both fuses will be blown. But it doesn't hurt to take a look. A modern laptop has close to 20 fuses and even older one has more than 10.
Thanks. It's an eMachine so not sure where the fuses are.

added:
Take a look at the USB port to see if it is damaged. A shorted power contacts in a broken USB port would make a dead laptop.
The USB ports seem okay, on first inspection. Not sure if a magnifying glass would help.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Thanks. It's an eMachine so not sure where the fuses are....
The fuse for the battery is a large one about 4-5mm long. Others are much smaller thus harder to identify. I would not suggest fixing it unless you are familiar with this kind of things.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:56 am

5 year old emachines laptop? Remove the hard drive, buy a usb 2.5" enclosure for the hard drive if there's anything on it you haven't backed up somewhere else that you need, and get a new $500 - $600 notebook.

It's dead, Jim.

Some cheap notebooks won't power up at all without the battery.

-David
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:25 pm

I second the proposal to buy a new laptop. I think it is time...it isn't going to be cost effective to fix this. I don't think you need to buy a hard drive enclosure, however. You can buy a 2.5>3.5" IDE converter for a few dollars and then hook up the laptop's hard drive to a regular computer. Then you can copy your data over and be done with it.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:00 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by SJUAMMF

added:

Fusible links and/or diodes? Yes. Fuses???? Haven't seen one in a laptop since the Compaq LTE/286 days. Fusible links aren't user replaceable, sadly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.